Author Topic: How Are You Celebrating Spring?  (Read 12198 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
How Are You Celebrating Spring?
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:23:37 am »
With apologies to our Southern Hemisphere members, I would like to get some ideas on celebrating spring. For starters I began my spring cleaning, the repotting of my houseplants, and clearing snow off the deck. What are your spring plans??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: How Are You Celebrating Spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 03:29:53 pm »
I need ideas fast! It's supposed to be 60 degrees today!!

Vote, everybody!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:37:22 pm »
I love Spring. It's my favorite season!

Yard work!! I can't wait to get outside and work in my yard. I love yard work. I also plan on doing some jogging, bike riding, hiking and taking my dog to the park where I play frisbee with him.  :)

I also love to camp and swim.

I always do a thorough housecleaning in early spring. The office upstairs still needs to be painted and the carpeting pulled up and replaced.

I LOVE Spring!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:40:40 pm »
Spring?

It is 2:30 pm and it is 14 degrees Farenheit out.    :-\ 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:14:29 am »
There was heavy frost on the ground here this a.m. But later it's supposed to be 70 degrees!

That's March for you!

My FRiend EDelMar said St. Patrick's Day has just become a day for drinking and there was an NPR story about Romans celebrating the Ides of March with a drunken debauch...we need new rituals for these holidays! Let me know yours.

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:22:18 am »
There was heavy frost on the ground here this a.m. But later it's supposed to be 70 degrees!

That's March for you!

My FRiend EDelMar said St. Patrick's Day has just become a day for drinking and there was an NPR story about Romans celebrating the Ides of March with a drunken debauch...we need new rituals for these holidays! Let me know yours.

Well, I live in Ireland and tomorrow everybody is going to be more drunk than usual.. lololol Bear in mind that I don't drink, so I'm usually the only sober person of the whole group... It's going to be great fun tomorrow anyway! Plus, the rugby match Italy-Ireland is on tomorrow!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:47:52 am »
I have a question for you. A girl named Erin told me her name means Ireland. Is that correct?

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 11:55:59 am »
That is correct. For more info:

"Erin is a Hiberno-English derivative of Irish Gaelic Éirinn, the dative case of Éire, the Irish word for "Ireland". Nineteenth-century Irish nationalists also used Erin in English as a romantic name for Ireland, as shown in the catchphrase (when speaking of Ireland's experiences with Britain), "Let Erin Remember". According to Irish mythology and folklore, the name was given to the land by the Milesians after the goddess Ériu. Erin Go Bragh (Éireann Go Brách, in standard orthography), often heard during St. Patrick's Day, means "Ireland Forever". The etymological history of the word as it drifted throughout the Gaelic region gave rise to its use by the early Scots to both mean "Ireland", as well as "West", as Ireland lay to the geographic west of Scotland.

Erin is a popular modern name for both sexes, alternatively spelled as Eryn, Erynn, Eirinn, Aeryn, Eiryne or otherwise. It also contributed to many surnames, as well, for example "Erin-Vienne" (West Man/Irish Man) gave rise to the surnames of Irving, Irvine, Ervin, Irwin, Eryvine, Ervyne, etc. There are over 200 known derivations of the Erin root."

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 11:59:58 am by Eire1978 »

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 12:10:59 pm »
Well, if all goes according to plan, this spring will be marked by a good week or so of vacation for me, which will comprise of a trip to Estes Park, Colorado. This will be the first time I will have left the State of Texas in about seventeen years, and the first time I will have returned to Colorado in well over twenty-five!

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 12:22:04 pm »
The etymological history of the word as it drifted throughout the Gaelic region gave rise to its use by the early Scots to both mean "Ireland", as well as "West", as Ireland lay to the geographic west of Scotland.
Additionally, 'Eire', from which 'Ireland' is derived, is descended from the Proto-Indo-European root aryo-, which meant "noble"--this is the origin of the term 'Aryan', which has acquired unfortunate connotations due to Nazi abuse, but which I understand is still in dignified usage in modern India. 'Iran' also derives from the same Indo-European root; 'Iran' and 'Ireland' both can be understood to mean 'land of the noble'.