Author Topic: Turning a corner  (Read 15174 times)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
Turning a corner
« on: March 01, 2006, 04:44:13 am »
WOW....I seem to have turned a corner today in my search for "WHY"  I had such a really productive session today with my therapist.  We sort of hopped from spot to spot like a couple of bunny rabbits in a field.  We touched on <or it seems so anyway> on every painful and hurtful spot  lurking inside me.  Every time something HIT....I felt physical pain...nausea.  It was SUCH a delightful feeling though....felt soo freeing.  It that crazy....or what?   Anyway....I had taken a bunch of 'stuff' that I had copied into her office this morning.  I still didn't think she was "GETTING IT" <as far as our movie/boys go>  I started bawling...SHE started bawling...and she just said...."I DO get it and thank GOD you get it too....."  Then everything hit...at once!!  Lost Loves...misgivings....regrets....painful darkness...answers...more questions....crying...aloneness...fear...!!  I must confess I STILL don't have ALL the answers....far from it!!   But thanks to ALL of you for your insight....thoughts....care....concern...plus MY digging into myself....I'm climbing higher on "our Mountain" each day. 
Much Love....Nancy
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
Re: Turning a corner
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:00:44 pm »
I've also been talking with my therapist about the BBM-effect for a few weeks now.  That's ALL we talk about, since the movie has taken residence in my heart.  In the beginning (about six weeks ago now) I was trying to answer the questions about WHY I was being so affected, and they seemed to be various.  At first, of course, it was the sadness for loss of a love, but with subsequent viewings it seemed a much vaster grief -- the loss of life-dreams and broken hopes, sadness over choices made or not made, sense of not accomplishing what I was meant to be on this earth for, loss of a spiritual connection.  Deep, deep anguish, many  many tears. And one point I felt like I was crying for all the pain in the world. When I found myself weeping in the very beginning when Jake and Ennis begin up the mountain with the sheep, knowing they are ascending into paradise and all the pain that awaits them in their lives, . . . . I'm crying as I try to write this.

Anyway, it sure isn't quitting me.  C. (my therapist) encourages me entirely to just flow along with this, as long as it flows, paying attention (it's about all I do pay attention to these days) and enjoying the journey.  And I do.  My photos of "the boys" smile back at me, the CD pulls at my heart, I feel more alive and juicy than I have in many years (I'm another old woman, 75).  A Jake-like figure appeared in my dream a few days ago and asked me (in the dream), "have you seen Brokeback Mountain?" and my heart leapt up and I said "yes, yes, do you want to talk about it?" because there is nothing I would rather do these days than that.
I look forward to our "conversations" via this board.  
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:25:55 am »
I prorbaly should confess that my "therapists" are the members of this site.  The topics that are shared have given incredible insights and helped me realize harsh realities about the world. 

Feel free to send me a bill for the counsleing services you all have provided me.   ;)

Thanks,

J.
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 05:28:10 pm »
And I thought that finding the others on this board meant I didn't need therapy :-)

It is interesting how much this movie seems to evoke the various stages of grief.  I don't know much about them from a psychology POV, but I know that I have personally moved from devastation and loss initally (6 weeks ago) through a lot of analysis and searching, and now I am at an acceptance of sorts.  I slept better a couple of nights ago than I have in years.  I went to sleep with the soundtrack playing and awoke with such an overwhelming sense of well-being.  My first waking thought was that I was being held, wrapped securely in those shirts.  Obsessed?  If so, I hope it never passes.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 07:18:13 pm »
Going through my first-of-month bills this morning, I discovered I never even balanced my bank statement last month! WO! -- it got buried on my desk while I neglected everything by Brokeback Mountain and its repercussions.  I did finally get my laundry put away the other day  :D  

Some thoughts that went through my head since my last post:

I keep thinking about BBM and about the "closeting" of gay people, and how closeted and hidden even we straights can be, so often hiding our truest selves in efforts to please others: parents, teachers, religious (and other) authority figures, society's proscriptions and prohibitions.  I think women, at least women of my generation, may be particularly so affected, sometimes so much we don't even know ourselves quite who we are, or what we actually want out of life.  We can get frozen into rules that never quite fit us, but we compromise and bury and deny and hide until it can be said that we have actually LOST sight of our SELVES, our unique interiority, and we learn to be ashamed and afraid of our own desires and passions, sexual and otherwise, which we need to love and honor and respect.  And yet we so often don't, and we've been rendered strangers to our own spirits in some ways.  Some of the deep sadness that BBM evokes in us may be, I think, linked to this, and the love lost may just be our own.

Just personal rambling, my own Brokoholic thoughts. I'd sure like to hear what others think of this.  Peace, Iris
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:54:10 pm »
I've also been talking with my therapist about the BBM-effect for a few weeks now.  That's ALL we talk about

WOW.....Iris....seems perhaps you and I have the same therapist?  BTW....I had been going to my therapist for quite a while BBBM  <Before Brokeback Mountain> and believe it or not...this story has opened a whole bunch of 'doors' into my heart and soul that we had been trying to break through for a long long time.  Now we discuss these feelings and emotions and are able to relate them to a whole bunch of things that I've been keeping inside. 
 Deep, deep anguish, many  many tears. And one point I felt like I was crying for all the pain in the world. When I found myself weeping in the very beginning when Jake and Ennis begin up the mountain with the sheep, knowing they are ascending into paradise and all the pain that awaits them in their lives, . . . . I'm crying as I try to write this.

BINGO....I'm there with you.  So symbolic...their trek up that mountain.  I felt such JOY as I watched them moving slowly up their mountain....not KNOWING the first time I saw it....that it was leading them to SUCH love and SUCH DOOM!!   The second time I saw it was when the symbolism became so apparent.  I find myself crying...now....at some of the most inappropriate moments during the movie...KNOWING what is about to happen.  And yet I'm transfixed....waiting to experience the soft tender love between these two people. 

My emotions are still so very tender and raw.  Like an open wound into which I KEEP ON rubbing salt.  I find myself WANTING to relive these feelings....over and over again.  I'm sure these unbelievable gut wrenching emotions will subside....at least a little.  But I KNOW....and I'm being repititious when I say this....this story....this movie...these 'boys' will sit forever in my heart.
Nancy

"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 10:57:15 pm »
OH dear....I haven't figured out yet how to use the "QUOTE" thingee on here.  Sorry...Iris...you and I are kinda jumbled up.   :-[   Hopefully all of you will figure out WHO said what...LOL  Besides....I can't find a better place to be jumbled up....NOR any better people!! 

Nancy <BBMGrandma>

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 11:03:40 pm »
Feel free to send me a bill for the counsleing services you all have provided me.   ;)

Thanks,

J.

Let's see if I did this quote thing correctly...this time!!!  WOW....I think I did it!!  Anyway.....J...I hope you find answers to your questions about this feeling that we're all experiencing.  I'm soo very grateful to be in the company of all of you....and I'm learning SO very much by being here.  Hopefully you'll feel LOVE and comfort here J....and not just harsh realities. 
And BTW...it's "on the house"   ;)
Nancy

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 11:20:41 pm »
And I thought that finding the others on this board meant I didn't need therapy :-)

.  I went to sleep with the soundtrack playing and awoke with such an overwhelming sense of well-being.  My first waking thought was that I was being held, wrapped securely in those shirts.  Obsessed?  If so, I hope it never passes.

Ooooooo LYNNE....what an absolutely wonderful scenario.  I closed my eyes after I read your post...and envisioned what you were experiencing.  If I share this dream I had the other night....will I sound crazy?  Well....I'll tell you anyway...!!
 I never liked the look of Jack...in his moustache.  It covered up the beautiful curve of his lips.  In my dream I had a HUGE patch of black hairs on my cheek.  About as big around as a quarter.  I didn't seem to mind it and went about my business as usual.  I was walking down a country road and JACK and ENNIS appeared in front of me.  Jack came right up to me and said....<laughingly>  "OMG...there it is Ennis...."  With that....both of them put their arms around me....sat me down on the dusty road...and began to pluck each hair out...one by one.  Ennis was sitting behind me....with his arms around me...and JACK was plucking away...grinning and showing his dimples.  Ennis kept saying...."don't worry....it won't hurt...."  Over and over again.  When Jack was through...he kissed my cheek soooooooo gently.  They both helped me up...smiled at me...Ennis kissed my nose and said..."There you go purty girl....go on your way now..."  And I woke up!!! 
GOD...it was soooo real.  I woke up with such a feeling of pure contentment and happiness.  As though these two were sent to let me know things were alright between the two of them. 
Oh dear....see?  Now I'M starting to cry again.  Be back in a few....<I need Kleenex>
Nancy

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 12:45:59 am »
Holy smoke, Nancy -- you were visited by the angels in your dream!  I did have a Jack-like figure who spoke to me in a dream (I wrote about it somewhere in these pages), but he didn't pluck out my dark whiskers! Very interesting!  I just came back from my dream group this evening, and am going to give your dream some heavy thought. Have you ever done any dream work with a group?  It's been a fruitful addition to my life these last eight months. Way to go, BBMgrandma, bring em all down. They seem to be our dream-guides, don't you think?  :-*