Author Topic: Turning a corner  (Read 15032 times)

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
Re: Turning a corner
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2006, 03:35:51 am »
Nancy, Lynne, Donna, Juneaux --- Hey fellow journeywomen!  Let me tell you a couple of things that have happened to me along the road.

I attended a small gathering of friends on Saturday night, and there was a gentleman there who was a stranger to me; we introduced ourselves and established our mutual connections to the group, then sat down, as is the usual practice with this group, for an hour of meditation together, followed by a congenial potluck meal.  Now my hearing is not what it once was, and being at a table full of people all chattering away causes me to just space out, since I cannot distinguish voices.  However I find that my ear is finely tuned to the Brokeback Mountain frequency, and I caught a thread of conversation about the movie going on at one end of the table.  And I caught it good, and ended up in an intense, heart-to-heart sharing with this new person, of our mutual feelings and experiences with this film. The first time in all these weeks I've had that happen, to find a "soul-mate" (he said the word first) who could understand the depth of this work and the HUGE effect it seems to be having all over the world. WOW!  I was, needless to say, quite overcome. We parted with a big hug. And he was beautiful: 60-ish, gay, and black.  What more could I ask for?

So I came home, got on-line immediately and signed up with NetFlix and added all sorts of films that I want to see, all of Ang Lee's work, movies with Jake and Heath (I'd never seen either one of them before BBM), and Angels in America, and My Own Private Idaho, and the 5th season of Six Feet Under (I'm so craving to see David and Keith again).  And etc. etc.  Just rambling on in my excitement and good fortune.  Maybe this should be in a blog, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.  Enuf for now, and the best to you all . . . Iris
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2006, 04:00:43 am »
IRIS....as you once said..."HOW KEWL is that"   :D  Finally you've found a pal to sit and talk with....laugh with...and smile with.  See?  You're BLOSSOMING...my friend!!  What could be better than that?  <well....perhaps ONE other thing...<wink wink>

I'm happy for you GIRL...you deserve and SHALL get...what you deserve in this life.
Bouquets to YOU...my pal.

Much Love....Nancy   :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2006, 09:00:42 am »
Iris - that is wonderful news!  What a beautiful way to begin a new friendship! You go, girl!  Keep up that 'blossoming' to quote Nancy, and keep reaching for the sun!
Love,
Lynne

P.S.  Also am doing the netflix thing...saw October Sky this weekend and expect The Ice Storm this week :-)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline donnaread

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2006, 03:15:34 pm »
Nancy, Lynne, Donna, Juneaux --- Hey fellow journeywomen!  Let me tell you a couple of things that have happened to me along the road.

I attended a small gathering of friends on Saturday night, and there was a gentleman there who was a stranger to me; we introduced ourselves and established our mutual connections to the group, then sat down, as is the usual practice with this group, for an hour of meditation together, followed by a congenial potluck meal.  Now my hearing is not what it once was, and being at a table full of people all chattering away causes me to just space out, since I cannot distinguish voices.  However I find that my ear is finely tuned to the Brokeback Mountain frequency, and I caught a thread of conversation about the movie going on at one end of the table.  And I caught it good, and ended up in an intense, heart-to-heart sharing with this new person, of our mutual feelings and experiences with this film. The first time in all these weeks I've had that happen, to find a "soul-mate" (he said the word first) who could understand the depth of this work and the HUGE effect it seems to be having all over the world. WOW!  I was, needless to say, quite overcome. We parted with a big hug. And he was beautiful: 60-ish, gay, and black.  What more could I ask for?

So I came home, got on-line immediately and signed up with NetFlix and added all sorts of films that I want to see, all of Ang Lee's work, movies with Jake and Heath (I'd never seen either one of them before BBM), and Angels in America, and My Own Private Idaho, and the 5th season of Six Feet Under (I'm so craving to see David and Keith again).  And etc. etc.  Just rambling on in my excitement and good fortune.  Maybe this should be in a blog, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.  Enuf for now, and the best to you all . . . Iris

Iris, I'm so happy for you.  Would love to be able to have a conversation face to face with someone who appreciates BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN the way we do!  Maybe onces the DVD comes out it will happen.  Love ya, Donna

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 12:24:50 am »
Yea, Irisstarr!  I agree with Donna that it would be wonderful to find someone locally with whom I could discuss the impact of this movie.  Until I do you ladies are my Brokeback support system.   ;D
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:44 am »
Hi My friends....

I don't want to drag anyone down....but I need to share this with you...my friends. 
I JUST got home from San Francisco.  My DEAREST most loving friend in the WORLD...is very VERY ill and in the hospital.  :'(  We've been best pals for over 35 years.  Spent all day with him...and they STILL haven't figured out what is wrong.  He's 6'2" and is down to 112 lbs.  He's been losing weight STEADILY for the last 1-1/2 years but absolutely REFUSED to go to see a doctor.  Ayway....that's neither here nor there...at this point.  They're testing him for Cancer...Tuberculosis....HIV....and anything else they can think of.  His lymph nodes are ALL swollen...he's running a fever of 102.2.  I'm going NUTS here waiting and wondering.  He can't swallow....can't stand up!!  I'm sooo fearful I'm going to lose my best friend.  :'( :'(  Just wanted to ask ALL of you to send ALL the healing vibes you can spare.  Tears are flowing again....but these are tears of pure sadness and sorrow.  I'll keep you all posted.  And BTW...he's gay AND Black.  He's always joked and said..."All I need now is to be Catholic...."  And we'd LAUGH ssoooooooo hard!!  <I'm catholic...btw>  He was soooo weak when I saw him today....it's breaking my heart!!   :'(  But he DID muster up enough strength to kiss my fingertips when I got there!!!  I LOVE THIS MAN!! 

Much Love to all....Nancy  <I NEED your hugs>
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2006, 01:16:34 pm »
Hey, there, Nancy - we're here to be supportive of each other - no more nonsense about being a 'downer'.  I'm so very sorry to hear about your very good friend's illness.  I'll definitely hold good thoughts for him in my heart.  Keep us posted as you get test results and learn more.  I'm sure it's a great comfort to him that you're able to be there with him.  Hang in there, and know we love you both.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 07:49:14 pm »
Hey Nancy, you can be sure you've got my love and prayers for healing going out through you to your dear friend.  LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE  coming through . . .  . :-* :-* :-* :-*
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2006, 11:03:56 pm »
Thanks SO very much....I can FEEL those vibes coming through.  I didn't go to the hospital today.  I was SOO wiped out from yesterday.  But I'm keeping in touch with the hospital.  They moved him today from the ER...to intensive care.  Still no definitive diagnosis...!!!  He's got SO much 'stuff' goin on in his body....I'm sure it's hard to poinpoint the most crucial of his ailments.  He's weaker today than he was yesterday...and that makes me fearful.  But I'm keeping positive thoughts for my pal.  I HAVE to....!!
I'll drive to SF again tomorrow and start picking the brains of his attending Doctors.  I'm 'good' in hospitals.  I've spent SO much time over the years with my mother...hospitalized SOO many times...luckily I know how to 'work em' 
I wish I had some good news to convey to ya'll.....but right now...it's SOO very touch and go!!  All I DO KNOW....is that I'm heartsick and so afraid of losing my BESTEST PAL!!!
 Two or three times a week we'd get on the phone...and talk for hours about everything from soup to nuts.  He always got me up to date on 'things'....mainly world politics.  He's an extremely educated guy.  He was a code interpreter in the Air Force....speaks 7 languages....both his mom and dad were Professors in education.  He taught court reporting for many years.  I was always SO glad that he had come into my life.  Thirty Seven years of pure....loving...friendship.  I guess I have to take Ennis' advice..."If ya can't fix it.....you just gotta stand it!!"   I've always been able to fix stuff....I guess this time I can't.   :'(  Just hafta ride it...!! 

Talk soon my friends....MUCH LOVE....Nancy