Author Topic: Mandatory Viewing  (Read 27399 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Mandatory Viewing
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 01:47:46 pm »
'Scuse me? How come none of you told me that Jared Leto was the love of Colin Farrell's life in "Alexander"  Even though you knew I would fast forward through the battle scenes?

Where you been flash?  Why do yoiu think I was on the 'Alexander' board for 4 months and I keep saying that not even Jake has pushed Jared off his pedestal yet?

Jared was ungodly meltingly beautiful in that movie.  Even if the only skin he showed was a saucy bit of bosom. :-*

the way the silk drapes over his shoulder and chest. yum.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 01:55:24 pm »
I don't know how many of you are into anime, but I really love "Grave of the Fireflies"
http://imdb.com/title/tt0095327/

It's not one of those action/fantasy type anime, but a human story about a boy taking care of his sister during WWII. If you thought "Saving Private Ryan" showed the ugly side of war, you haven't seen anything. The real cost of war is not to just the soldiers, but more tragically to those who aren't able to even grasp the concept yet. For most of us, Germany and Japan have been demonized in history, but we forget the humanity behind the war. I highly recommend it. I also believe it's really shows you the great art of animation like never. The characters come to life like nothing that Disney or Warner Brothers have been able to do.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 05:30:27 pm »
I haven't seen that Nipith, but it sounds wonderful.  Kind of along those lines, I would highly recommend The Iron Giant, based on a story by the poet laureate Ted Hughes.  Again a case of animated characters coming to life in such a way as you can't stop thinking about them long after the credits roll.  And a beautiful story about what Christ really taught - about loving all living things equally and unconditionally and without judgment.  Beautiful.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 07:43:06 pm »
Del was saying in an earlier post that she hated the Heston scene.  I say each to his own on this. It was a very manipulative and cheeky tactic. Heston clearly didn't know it was coming. But having the balls to take the Columbine massacre to the head of the NRA and demand answers?? You gotta be very brave or very stupid.

Or incredibly rude and obnoxious Sheyne.

I'm a pro-choice feminist and I wondered how I would feel if MM showed up on my doorstep with a camera and a membership card to Planned Parenthood, then when I welcomed him into my home, proceeded to shove pictures of dead fetuses and a camera into my face and start calling me a murderer.

Can't say that I would think MM was brave or canny or'telling it like it is'.

I thought Heston carried himself with class and dignity considering the attack on him and his beliefs in his own home by someone he welcomed in.  And I don't like Heston either.

My boyfriend and I watched 'Bowling for Columbine' and while we did see some good points, we also saw how edited and manipulative it was.  MM does this quite a bit and I don't like being yanked around by anyone, the media included.

He did this when he won the Academy Awards as well.  He can say whatever he wants up there on the podium, but to try to get the audience to go along with his shouting against Dubya when he knows damn well the media will most certainly point cameras into the crowd to get their reactions - and thus maybe show the world wide audience the actors political views which may be private and not something they want to advertise - is extremely overbearing and obnoxious and controlling.

To each their own, but IMO MM makes liberals look bad.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2006, 10:18:40 pm »

I totally understand and respect your point of view, Del.  I'm not saying I like the man one little bit. I certainly wouldn't like to sit down to a meal with him, that's for sure. And I completely agree with what you said about the Academy Awards, I thought he carried on like a jerk.  Bush may not be a popular person in the States with some, he might be downright hated by others, but - IMO - the Oscars is NOT the podium to be making a statement as such. I'm sure I wasn't the only person who was clutching the armrests of my chair in fearful anticipation when Susan Sarandon's name was announced as Best Actress the year she won for Dead Man Walking.  I LOVE Sarandon, I think she's a brilliant actress and an amazing woman, I LOVE and agree with her views on many MANY matters, but i SO did not want her to use her Oscars speech to start anything political. I'm really glad she didn't, cause Mike Moore showed what happens when you use the Oscars podium to make a political statement:- you look like a jerk.  Although, if anybody could have done it with class, I'm betting Susan Sarandon would have stood a chance.. lol..

And like i say, I don't like Mike Moore as a person. And I know he is a very manipulative film maker. But I just really enjoyed Bowling For Columbine, despite the show-pony aspects and cunning editing (i don't use "cunning" in a flattering light there). I know when I'm being jerked around too and I don't like it any more than you do, but the overall message that came through in the movie was very powerful to me. I'm a mum and a teacher as well and lets just say a lot of the issues and themes are VERY close to home for me.  Just my $0.02.  :)

Chut up!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 11:31:49 pm »
I haven't seen that Nipith, but it sounds wonderful.  Kind of along those lines, I would highly recommend The Iron Giant, based on a story by the poet laureate Ted Hughes.  Again a case of animated characters coming to life in such a way as you can't stop thinking about them long after the credits roll.  And a beautiful story about what Christ really taught - about loving all living things equally and unconditionally and without judgment.  Beautiful.

Yes. I love Iron Giant. Beautiful film and I fell in love with the big lug. He came to life in ways that surprised me.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2006, 11:35:42 am »
I've seen almost all of them. Would add:A  Soldier's Story, and--what's "wir zuzammen allien mit dir"? (we together alone with you)? Also: Grande Illusion.
MYSTERIOUS SKIN! (it's about two 8-year-olds who are molested by their little league coach, and who then veer off in wildly different directions because of this).

Especially liked: Rabbit Proof Fence, The Elephant Man, The Cryng Game, Gandhi,
The Accused
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:42:55 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2006, 10:29:04 pm »
Della.  I thought you were talking about Jason Alexander all this time>  :-)))
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

rtprod

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 03:08:49 pm »
Films coming to mind that destroyed me, hurt me, scared me, moved me or changed me:

Lilya 4-Ever  (child abandonment, poverty and white sexual slave trade in broken Eastern Europe)

Once Were Warriors (brutal domestic violence, family adrift and identity issues in Maori culture, New Zealand)

A Song for Martin (Danish Alzheimer's drama about a powerful late-life love story between two classical musicians, cruelly interrupted)

Day and Night (scorching 2004 Danish drama of seemingly successful man who chooses to end his life; spends last day driving around reconnecting with the haunted family and friends of his wasted life; yet unreleased on DVD in US)

Breaking the Waves (virgin to whore to martryr to saint -- Von Trier sacrifices Emily Watson in his most poetic, haunting movie)

Ladybird, Ladybird (British barmaid without opportunity loses child after child to welfare office; wrenching)

Antwone Fisher (child abused Navy recruit cries out for love, reconnects with family roots after finding inspiring mentor)

Bread and Roses (undocumented Mexican immigrants exploited in factory, Los Angeles, uprise with far-reaching results)

Intimacy (man and woman meet anonymously once a week for emotional and physical craving, end up over their heads; adulteress Kerry Fox's late scene to spurned hubby Timothy Spall, in a taxi, spellbinds)

Dirt (Nancy Savoca's Showtime-financed, unreleased indie masterpiece details the plight of a proud, undocumented Central American maid living in New York, supporting her family back home; tragedy strikes, lives change irrevocably, human strength ensues) 

Bad Timing: A Sensual Obsession (In Vienna, Art Garfunkel and Theresa Russell engage in Nicolas Roeg's twisted shrink-patient power play that leads to obsession and worse)

Les Diables    http://www.ocean-films.com/lesdiables/  (one of the most powerful contemporary films I have seen, not available here, but if you have a region-free DVD player it is available on Region 2; the story of a brother and sister on the street, he's got severe emotional problems while she is severely autistic, in and out of youth homes and lost to the world)

Seek them out.  NOW. 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 05:10:27 pm by rtprod »

rtprod

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 03:54:47 pm »
And like i say, I don't like Mike Moore as a person. And I know he is a very manipulative film maker.

Jumping into the fray on this piece that Sheyne and Del have stirred up. 

Where in the world does it say that a documentary filmmaker has to be objective?  All film is about manipulating and organizing ideas in a precise fashion to make your point---that goes for narrative or documentary film.  Michael Moore is a poweful provocateur, a brilliant satirist and I believe, a deeply feeling person.  I don't really care about any of those supposed fact-fudgings that the Right (read: wrong) claims he's done in F-9/11, the guy knows how to make a moving and thoughtful film and the majority of the facts speak for themselves.  And as far as the Oscar theatrics go, I'm all for it--when Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins and the whole crew can get up there and do the same, I really think Michael Moore, who represents the everyman more than any of them, should be afforded the same luxury--free speech.  Bowling for Columbine was a human and compassionate film, to me.  Ditto F-9/11.  The guys has balls and conviction, and a sense of what is right--at least what is right to me. 

I will follow him, and I'd vote for him too. 

rt

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 03:57:46 pm by rtprod »