Author Topic: My "Great White North"  (Read 389028 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: My "Great White North"
« Reply #600 on: July 05, 2007, 01:40:51 pm »
Roland,

I envy your "garden variety" daylilies.  We have a summer house in Michigan and a few years ago had most of the front yard planted with daylilies.  The first summer it was awesome -- daylilies everywhere.  Then word apparently got out among the deer population....  We've since learned that daylilies are "candy" to deer. 

We spent the 4th in Michigan, and I'm sad to report that no more than six of the daylilies have blooms.  But that's six more than last year (when we had zero). 

Obviously, deer are not a problem in your neighborhood.  :)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #601 on: July 05, 2007, 02:05:06 pm »
Living near the centre of the largest city in Canada, surrounded by (subburbs, really) at least 3 of the next 20 largest cities of the country, ... no we don't see ANY deer or bears walking these streets - We have wild skunks and raccoons and a plethora of squirrels (and mice and cats), but nothing larger.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #602 on: July 05, 2007, 04:30:29 pm »
Same Yarrow I posted a little over a week ago, but they're looking fuller (and the close-up picture I took - posting it tomorrow - actually goves some detail).

Not to worry, Jocelyn - I'm pretty sure this is a native weed plant.

I think you're right Roland.  I've heard of yarrow but never seen it growing here.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #603 on: July 05, 2007, 04:39:50 pm »
posted this pink flox one earlier

here's an update, 5 days later:

I think there's one growin in the front yard too!  :o
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #604 on: July 05, 2007, 08:53:39 pm »
Bryan an I have been doin some escavating rejuvenating of some of the flowerbeds. - Here's the work in progress.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #605 on: July 05, 2007, 08:55:20 pm »
This was posted earlier this morning in the Studs 'n Spurs Bar & Grill, but I suspect not all ya go there.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #606 on: July 05, 2007, 08:55:52 pm »
Photos were taken last evening

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #607 on: July 06, 2007, 06:43:17 am »
There may be soemnew lilies or daylilies out soon, but right now I'm down to just a couple a 'revisit' images.

The bee balm, close up

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #608 on: July 06, 2007, 08:47:54 am »

One question, Roland:  are the trenches next to the border for purposes of better irrigation?  Or maybe just to hold the border in place once the rocks (gravel?) go in?  Or are the black rocks purely decorative?  Just wondering....

Well, I guess I have another question:  what maintenance is involved with the daylilies once they've bloomed?  Do you pull off the dead flowerhead?  Also, do you remove the center stem once it's turned brown or do you have to wait for it to fall off by itself?

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #609 on: July 06, 2007, 09:11:52 am »
One question, Roland:  are the trenches next to the border for purposes of better irrigation?  Or maybe just to hold the border in place once the rocks (gravel?) go in?  Or are the black rocks purely decorative?  Just wondering....

Well, I guess I have another question:  what maintenance is involved with the daylilies once they've bloomed?  Do you pull off the dead flowerhead?  Also, do you remove the center stem once it's turned brown or do you have to wait for it to fall off by itself?

The trenches, in my opinion, are both decorative and useful in that they (hopefully) keep grass out of the flowerbeds - we'll just have to see ...

Yes I deadhead the flowers from the iris, the tulips, the lilies and the daylilies, but I usually (not necesarily always) wait until the stems are dry before pulling em out.

Speaking of daylilies, a couple a very lovely new variety a daylilies blossomed today. They're of the same quality as the peach daylily from earlier this week, with the exception that they've blossomed in previous years & these will produce weeks of blossoms.

Both this and the next daylilly pictures are shown (unblossomed) at the end of the unfinished flowerbed in the previous picture!  :)