Author Topic: My "Great White North"  (Read 388995 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: My "Great White North"
« Reply #670 on: July 12, 2007, 10:59:53 pm »
Managed to 'post a lot' today without showing a single 'new' plant - well ...

I'm keepin some back ;D

This yellow trumpet lily (photo taken last evening) is growing in among the variegated grass on the south side a the steps. They'll have to be moved for next year, cause I believe the grass is suffocatin this plant (at the root level)

It's a little stained ... waited too long to tie it up and photograph it, but still looks nice.

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #671 on: July 13, 2007, 04:58:10 am »
Close up of the bee balm

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #672 on: July 13, 2007, 08:13:56 am »
that bee balm DOES look like an alien plant!  :laugh:

is pretty though!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2007, 02:50:37 pm »
Lilies are great - each bloom can stay for 3 to 5 days before withering, depending on how hot it is, and you can get some 13 to 15 blooms, though most a the time, 5 is normal.

daylilies can last longer in that there are more blooms. The more common varieties produce petals that are nearly as narrow as lilies, but I've found that most a the daylilies I've gotted from Bill have been larger than the average lily. Now today's golden daylily was HUGE. Gotta have been twice the size a the larger daylilies I've posted so far. We're talking 7 to 8 inches across - think sunflower size.

and there are a dozen blooms yet to open on this plant! (photo was taken during evening - cloudy light)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #674 on: July 13, 2007, 08:21:27 pm »
It may look to be considerably larger than the other yellow daylily, but, I compared the two today, and the other one seems exactly the same as this massively large daylily. Here's another view of the gigantic daylily, taken from a diff'rent angle. The sky was quite amazing last night too!

injest

« Reply #675 on: July 13, 2007, 10:39:47 pm »
Are they SUPPOSED to be that big or are they just putting on a show this year?

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #676 on: July 14, 2007, 03:02:38 am »
Are they SUPPOSED to be that big or are they just putting on a show this year?

Bill's plants have always been amazingly large, but THAT daylily caught me off guard!

Here's another daylily that's probably from Bill. Garden variety in looks, with the added Bill size largeness + it's showing extra petals (making it a double bloom dailily). Nothing's gonna amaze me as much as the yellow daylily I posted yesterday, but it's still quite noticeable:

injest

« Reply #677 on: July 14, 2007, 07:15:21 am »
I like the colors in that one! very cool. I have never seen a daylily like that..

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #678 on: July 14, 2007, 07:51:25 am »
I like the colors in that one! very cool. I have never seen a daylily like that..

Well this one's so common, I pulled them out of the front yard (besides, one a my neighbours have em too). There are so many in my yard, I must have near 200 blooms of it (the one inthe front were meved to 3 areas in the back, plus, the main back area had new shoots coming through the grass - transplanted em too)

Still, Bryan doesn't consider THESE to the the most common daylilies (will be posting those later today). Here's a repost, dated July 13 (better picture, I think) of this common daylily.

this is the previous post (June 26) a this daylily:  - humm, mabe that first picture was better ...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2007, 01:17:29 pm »
Here's the other supposedly common daylily that just started bloomon yesterday: