Author Topic: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees  (Read 19130 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: White Picket Fences and Apple Trees
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 06:30:13 pm »
But the silver lining is all the 'dad', 'daddy' and 'brother' that was said! That was wonderful. 

It was wonderful.  :)  And I think another silver lining will be that the townsfolk will pull together and support them.

And I just thought of something. Troy had to tell Ennis that it wasn't the "regular" hospital, it was the Ten Mile Creek one.  How will Jack know to go to the right hospital? I think he hung up before Kurt could tell him.  I know he'll get there eventually, but the last thing he needs is a detour! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 04:50:26 pm »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:47 pm »
Well, MaineWriter, once again you bring a wonderful story to us.  The inner wrokings of the Twist/del Mar house have been great to read about, the kids growing up to recognize 2 dads, the growth and love each has for the others and,even with the problems of life and their need to protect each other again and again, the solidarity they have formed.  And the ongoing inadequacy and self-esteem issue that Jack and Ennis have, which keeps creeping  back to haunt us (and them) even as they time and again profess their love and need for each other.  I really like the direction you have chosen, knowing it is going to have to come to a close soon, but I will keep coming back to read it more.  I hope this is the last we hear of the tire-iron which has loomed over them for such a long time.  Maybe even Lureen can become a 'nice' and 'accepting' and 'loving' person, but I won't hold my breath on that one. I ROFLMAO about the 'armpit sandwich' bit, that was truly inventive.  I'm really looking forward  to the way you wrap this story up, giving peace to all the characters (hopefully) and to us.  Great Work!!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 07:23:54 pm »
Hi rlh!  It's a great story isn't it?  FYI, MaineWriter started the thread on this story, but the story is actually written by midget_size.  She's also written some other wonderful things that you can find on her LJ.  :)

For those who haven't read it yet, here's the link to Chapter 21.  According to midget_size, there will be one more chapter after this and then an epilogue.  It will be hard to say good-bye to all these rich and true-to-life characters.

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2307018.html#cutid1

Marie

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:26 pm »
I am indeed sorry for my mistake, particularly for thinking they were one and the same, not individuals.  I will certainly write midget-size about the story.   Thank you so much for correcting me.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 09:22:40 pm »
I am indeed sorry for my mistake, particularly for thinking they were one and the same, not individuals.  I will certainly write midget-size about the story.   Thank you so much for correcting me.

Oh, there's no need to apologize at all!   I can understand your confusion!  But, yes, midget_size loves getting comments on her stories and is always very gracious, so I'm sure she'd appreciate hearing your thoughts over on her LJ!   :)  Do you have an LJ account? 

Marie

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 03:32:11 pm »
Well, MaineWriter, once again you bring a wonderful story to us.  The inner wrokings of the Twist/del Mar house have been great to read about, the kids growing up to recognize 2 dads, the growth and love each has for the others and,even with the problems of life and their need to protect each other again and again, the solidarity they have formed.  And the ongoing inadequacy and self-esteem issue that Jack and Ennis have, which keeps creeping  back to haunt us (and them) even as they time and again profess their love and need for each other.  I really like the direction you have chosen, knowing it is going to have to come to a close soon, but I will keep coming back to read it more.  I hope this is the last we hear of the tire-iron which has loomed over them for such a long time.  Maybe even Lureen can become a 'nice' and 'accepting' and 'loving' person, but I won't hold my breath on that one. I ROFLMAO about the 'armpit sandwich' bit, that was truly inventive.  I'm really looking forward  to the way you wrap this story up, giving peace to all the characters (hopefully) and to us.  Great Work!!
Dear midget-size: please accept my most humble apologies for my screw-up.  I certainly didn't mean to dishonor either you or MaineWriter, who I'm sure won't mind if I re-direct these comments properly to you.  This is one of a few very good stories I have been able to find, and it has done a lot to help me find some solace from the pain of the original story.  Please keep writing more fine work like this.  And again, please accept my apology.  Richard

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 12:57:27 pm »
Chapter 22 of this part of the story is up!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2340995.html#cutid1

It's the last "official" chapter - but here's the author's note:

Okay, this chapter is probably the longest chapter I've ever written, and I'm not going to lie--it doesn't answer all the questions. But that's what we've got an epilogue for, right? ;)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 04:28:17 pm »
Well, it came more quickly than I expected - here's the Epilogue!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/2348513.html

IMO, this could not have been better!  The entire story was touching without ever being corny, realistic without ever being melodramatic, and there was a consistent natural humor that never seemed forced woven throughout.  I'm sure glad she finished it after that long hiatus.   :)

Marie