Author Topic: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...  (Read 21240 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:05:22 pm »
I just saw "Boys don't cry" for the first time on DVD last night, and am still trying to recover from the shock/pain/immense sorrow. I had heard of the film, as a good film to watch, which dealt with homosexuality, but I didn't read anything (not even the synopsis on the jacket really) before I watched. Even though I thought it was fiction, I was 'living' the bloody thing as I was watching. But oh, when I read at the end what happened to the main characters in real life and realised it was a true story, my blood curled. I froze and felt SO much for Brandon/Teena  :'(

Which brings me to this reflection: as a typical European, I oppose capital punishment. I know, it is easy for me, not having come remotely close in real life to anyone who has ever been seriously mugged. But when I read on the screen that one of the culprits had been sentenced to death and was trying to have his sentence commuted, my gut reaction that second was "you can bloody well die, you bastard!". Then 2 seconds later I came round and thought "and what good will it do Brandon/Teena?"
This was like a test for me: I felt so much for this girl/boy, and hated the rapists'/murderers' guts so much, I still quickly found it in myself, in my reasoning, to oppose that bastard's death sentence.

But boy, Texas, what a place, hunh??! And that happened in 1993. Makes me all the more certain that Jack was murdered.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 06:05:01 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:40:45 pm »
To put that barbarian to death would be too good for him, I feel. He should be made to live with himself and the memory of what he did for a long, long time, meanwhile being daily brutalized by his fellow prisoners, given some of his own medicine.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 02:49:15 pm »
To put that barbarian to death would be too good for him, I feel. He should be made to live with himself and the memory of what he did for a long, long time, meanwhile being daily brutalized by his fellow prisoners, given some of his own medicine.

That might be too good for him, Lee, but your suggestion raises a whole other set of questions, don't you think? Which speaks worse of our government--of us: To take away, at one stroke, the life of someone who showed such a heinous and callous disregard for the life of another, or to condone ongoing institutionalized brutality (um, sorta like Abu Ghraib)?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 03:50:40 pm »
I want to apologize to all Texans here, don't take it personally, but it is known over here for... not being a very liberal place.

Yes, Lee, I wouldn't mind knowing the same would be done to him, but it is like the death sentence: it is sheer vengeance. No use at all. Best to put relentless efforts into educating the young to eradicate machism and homophobia, I think.

A little voice in my head keeps saying "but some of them are unredeemably evil"... Suffice it to keep them locked up for life to avoid any further danger to anyone else, let's say (which still costs less money to the community than carrying out a death sentence).

Does anyone know if that "man" had his sentence commuted?
And PLEASE could anyone give me the reference of the song in that film that says "the bluest eyes in Texas"? I love it...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 06:11:17 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 03:54:15 pm »
That might be too good for him, Lee, but your suggestion raises a whole other set of questions, don't you think? Which speaks worse of our government--of us: To take away, at one stroke, the life of someone who showed such a heinous and callous disregard for the life of another, or to condone ongoing institutionalized brutality (um, sorta like Abu Ghraib)?

I agree with Jeff here.  Killing people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong, is not the answer. It doesn't even make sense. Of course, I don't know if I'm going to feel different about it if I or somebody I love is raped, or killed, but right now I don't see the logic in it.  Capital punishment exist since forever and to this date it hasn't stopped people from killing people.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 04:15:15 pm »
Killing people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong, is not the answer.

I agree. Violence breeds violence. States here that have the death penalty also have some of the highest murder rates. I don't think the cause and effect go one way or another, just that they are violent societies in which killing is seen as a legitimate way to settle a conflict. If the government endorses that view, obviously regular murderers will do the same. The government thinks it has a good reason to kill and murderers don't; murderers think the same thing in reverse. They're both wrong -- there's never a good reason to kill.

Isabelle, I think your initial "die, you bastard!" response is a perfectly human reaction to a brutal crime. The difference is, immediately thereafter your rational side took over. The first thought comes from the ancient, reptilian part of our brain, the second from the more evolved, human part of our brain  -- though apparently it hasn't fully evolved in all humans!  :-\

I'm always filled with amazement and admiration when I hear stories of murder victims' families petitioning courts not to impose the death penalty on the killer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:45:33 pm by latjoreme »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 04:18:55 pm »

I was referring to the trreatment he would get by his peers, not by prison guards like in Abu Ghraib. It's pure animal nature, it doesn't matter if I condone it or not. Might as well ask fruit to stay green, as the Virginian said.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 04:27:55 pm »
Hey Isabelle...

I own that DVD as well.
It left me feeling heavy when I watched it .. knowing all the while that someone lived it and ended that way.
I haven't seen it in a while, but I'll watch it again one of these nights.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 05:03:39 pm »
I was referring to the trreatment he would get by his peers, not by prison guards like in Abu Ghraib. It's pure animal nature, it doesn't matter if I condone it or not.

I understood that. I guess my own use of "institutionalized" confused matters. I meant to imply brutality sanctioned by the institution--whether by the prison guards at Abu Ghraib or some theoretical permitting of other inmates to repeatedly brutalize Brandon Teena's murderer.

Actually, I have to admit that I have an intellectually inconsistent--you might even say wishy-washy--view of the death penalty. I am not unequivocally opposed to it. As for my own hypothetical comparison, I think it speaks worse of a society if it allows ongoing brutality than if it executes some people with some expedition.

Might as well ask fruit to stay green, as the Virginian said.

;D

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:18:50 pm »
States here that have the death penalty also have some of the highest murder rates.

In fact, when the death penalty was abolished in France in 1981, the majority of the people wanted to keep it... it was abolished by the new government, against the majority opinion. Very quickly though, the majority of the people were glad it had been abolished, and now anyone born after 1980 (or maybe after 1970) will tell you they are against capital punishment, because they grew up in a society devoid of it.
This is probably because the fact is that the murder rate has steadily been going down in France, death sentence or no death sentence. I couldn't tell you why; but the death penalty certainly doesn't work as a deterrent, that's for sure.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:26:39 pm »
Okay, I'm going to lead this even further off-topic. The rates for murder and other violent crimes have fallen precipitously in the U.S. since 1990. Why? As shown in the book Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt, children who would have become 16 years old in 1990 did not...because of the passage of Roe vs. Wade, the abortion ruling. It's a very mixed up world isn't it?

Scott6373

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 06:35:45 pm »
This is a very interesting conversation.  If I may, let me put in my .25 cents.  .

Back in my early twenties, after my first real long term relationship had ended, I had a tough time getting back into the whole social scene, but eventually I did.  One night, after having a relatively enjoybale night with friends a bar in Boston (I live about 30 minutes north, so I drove into town), I left at closing time...yes alone...get your minds outta the gutter, and started to cross the public gardens, because my car was parked on the other side.  Half way across, a group of drunk men (I won't say straight because I don't to insult straight people by calling them that), started to follow me.

Eventually they cornered me in a dark part of the park.  I was beaten and raped and left there.  Here's my question.  If I had the ability, after they had finished with me, to get up and kill each one...would that not be capitol punishment?  I am no longer defending myself, I am exacting revenge, but...am I entitled?

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 06:35:58 pm »
But Lee, all in all, the population continued to grow, didn't it? Is 16 the average age of the murderers in the US??

Those "men" in "Boys don't cry" were at least 30...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 06:40:07 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 06:45:18 pm »
This is a very interesting conversation.  If I may, let me put in my .25 cents.  .

Back in my early twenties, after my first real long term relationship had ended, I had a tough time getting back into the whole social scene, but eventually I did.  One night, after having a relatively enjoybale night with friends a bar in Boston (I live about 30 minutes north, so I drove into town), I left at closing time...yes alone...get your minds outta the gutter, and started to cross the public gardens, because my car was parked on the other side.  Half way across, a group of drunk men (I won't say straight because I don't to insult straight people by calling them that), started to follow me.

Eventually they cornered me in a dark part of the park.  I was beaten and raped and left there.  Here's my question.  If I had the ability, after they had finished with me, to get up and kill each one...would that not be capitol punishment?  I am no longer defending myself, I am exacting revenge, but...am I entitled?

Scott, oh {{{Scott}}}...
I sent my reply before I'd seen yours! That would be personal revenge, not capital punishment, and honestly I couldn't blame you for doing those guys in.
I have heard that the best way of getting over such horrors is forgiveness, as hatred or anger only makes your life hell longer. I don't know. I think I would be capable of killing in such a case, so I am glad that such a thing as laws and courts and judges exist, even with all their shortcomings.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 06:50:47 pm »
Scott, Friend, I am so sorry for what you went thru. I think the choice of how you would proceed is yours. Exacting revenge is a personal matter and vastly different than the institution of Capitol Punishment, in which the government gets to decide who lives and who dies. I have a problem with the government having that power.

Your exacting revenge is an entitlement, and with it comes responsibilities you would have to face. A catch 22 if there ever was one. One that leaves me feeling very sad.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Scott6373

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 06:53:49 pm »
So...if these men were caught and and tried, and convicted, and were sentanced to die..that's different than my doing it myself?   I'm not sure I agree.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 06:54:29 pm »

And PLEASE could anyone give me the reference of the song in that film that says "the bluest eyes in Texas"? I love it...

It's called The Bluest Eyes in Texas, and it was performed by Nina Persson and Nathan Larson.  The movie does have a soundtrack.

Here are the lyrics:

The lonesome Texas sun was setting slow
In the rear view mirror I watch it glow
I can still see the wind and her golden hair
I closed my eyes for a moment I'm still there

Chorus:
The bluest eyes in Texas are haunting me tonight
Like the stars that fill the midnight sky
Her memory fills my mind
Where did I go wrong,
Did I wait too long or can I make it right
The bluest eyes in Texas are haunting me to night

Another town another hotel room
Another dream that ended way too soon
Left me lonely Waiting for the dawn
Searching for the strength to carry on

Chorus

For every heart you break you pay the price
I can't forget the tears in her blue eyes

Chorus

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 07:13:49 pm »
So...if these men were caught and and tried, and convicted, and were sentanced to die..that's different than my doing it myself?   I'm not sure I agree.

Yeah, I couldn't ask that much, I think from your stand point it would be justice served, as rightly so. What bothers me about Capitol Punishment is the finality of it, how it is abused both past and present. Once an innocent person is put to death, you can't bring them back. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 07:22:41 pm »
How horrible for you, Scott! This makes me want to learn whatever ancient martial art my avatar is practicing over there on on the left. Then, I could leap down and...I wouldn't kill those men...but I would make sure they would never have children and procreate ever again!!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 07:26:46 pm »

I read about this in your fanfic. Never in my life I imagined this actually happened to you. I'm against capital punishment but then again I don't know how I'd feel if something like this would happen to me or anyone I love.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Scott6373

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 07:32:40 pm »
To answer the query of this thread.  Boys do cry.  Trust me.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 07:41:52 pm »
Scott - Your story broke my heart .. So sorry that something like that happened to you.  :(

When I was 17, right before I left home, burglars broke into our home and one of them put a gun to my head, and repeatedly said he was going to rape and shoot me and whatever else.  I figured I was dead.  Must've been a miracle of God he didn't actually rape me or use the gun .. Talk about trauma after that ..  :-\

On the issue of capital punishment, I don't think anything is accomplished by killing the killer, since it does not undo the act ..although the victim(s) might be vindicated. I dont know .. it is a gray issue .. I'll have to think some more about it, I guess.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 07:47:21 pm »
Oh, Scott, it makes me so sad to hear about that experience.

The hypothetical situation you present is tough. Even if this technically qualifies as "unnecessary" violence, I can't help thinking of it differently from a moral perspective. After all, if you'd killed them earlier, it would have been perfectly legitimate self-defense. I would think any reasonable jury would let you off with a light sentence, at worst.

But exacting revenge on someone immediately after being brutally assaulted by that person is way different from the government doing the avenging. In other words, I'd give you permission to kill them long before I'd give the state of Texas permission to kill them, however much they deserved it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 08:13:14 pm »
Oh, Scott. ...  :o  :'(

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 09:13:21 pm »
I agree with Jeff here.  Killing people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong, is not the answer. It doesn't even make sense. Of course, I don't know if I'm going to feel different about it if I or somebody I love is raped, or killed, but right now I don't see the logic in it.  Capital punishment exist since forever and to this date it hasn't stopped people from killing people.

Howdy y'all.  Yep, I'm from Texas and support capital punishment as some of you already know from other threads.  I don't see it as 'killing people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong', I don't look at it as 'what good will it do Brandon/Teena?', I look at it as taking a very dangerous conscienceless person out of society where he will never be able to do that again to anyone.  That's what's behind my idea of capital punishment.  A very dangerous person has been taken permanently out of society.

You can't be sure he won't get out of prison in the future accidentally.  Mistakes happen.  In Texas, Kenneth McDuff - a fucking animal who deserved to die - through a series of serendipitous events in the Texas prison system got released when he had previously been sentenced to die for earlier just horrible heinous crimes - go here if you want to read about them

http://www.geocities.com/verbal_plainfield/i-p/mcduff.html

Yep, he got out and went on another killing spree.

Life in prison means nothing in Texas.  They are eligible for the most part for parole at some time.

Capital punishment solves this problem.

In jail?  Hmmm, yeah that guy may be treated badly or he may be respected for taking out a 'bitch'.  That's what they do in prison don't they?  Cold blooded murderers have a degree of respect in prison.  He'll probably be among more people who think just like him.

Prison will solve nothing for him, will not change his mind, his attitude or give him a conscience.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 03:21:31 am »
Hi Del,

After reading what you say, I still think that I could totally understand the victim (of a rape) killing their agressor, because at least there would be no confusion as to the real culprit.One of the HUGE downsides of capital punishment is that someone else does the vengeance (the state), and from what I know, quite a few innocents have been executed...

" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 06:06:32 am »
Oh Scott... wow.

You are in the un-enviable position of being able to see this from a non hypothetical situation.

I have to say - I have no stong opinion either way - as I jut find that its a very hard subject to make a decision over.

Is this 'an eye for an eye' take really moral? Or are we just getting rid of the bad eggs in society, so we can function better and that makes it better? Should we give everyone a second chance? and what if a mistake is made - there is no way back from death.

I'm inclined to think if something happened to me or my family/friends - I would be much more opinionated. Most of us here are lucky not to be in that position.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 08:24:15 am »
Hi Del,

After reading what you say, I still think that I could totally understand the victim (of a rape) killing their agressor, because at least there would be no confusion as to the real culprit.One of the HUGE downsides of capital punishment is that someone else does the vengeance (the state), and from what I know, quite a few innocents have been executed...

I know of no system that is perfect Isabelle.  We don't know how many innocent people were put to death, just as we don't know how many innocent people were sent to prison for the rest of their lives for crimes they didn't commit.  Sadly, even the victims and "eyewitnesses" to crimes have been mistaken and sent innocent men to jail.

If we waited for a perfect system so that no innocent would ever accidentally be punished, we'd never have a justice system.  Even now, DNA testing is releasing prisoner after prisoner who were sentenced for crimes they didn't commit.  In the USA, more and more laws are being passed so that all prisoners especially those on death row have their cases reviewed to see if DNA can substantiate or overturn their convictions.  Death row inmates have a process of many many appeals.

It's not an easy sentence to pass on someone.  Most people would like to give the benefit of the doubt to someone, but more and more, it's becoming obvious that there is something wrong with some people, serial killers, rapists, child molesters/murderers.  There is no 'curing' them.  They are driven by some compulsion and will not stop.

Someone famous once said something like, 'It's better that 9 guilty men go free than have 1 innocent person jailed'.  Of course, that was said back in the day when communities were smaller and people didn't have atomic weapons and one person flying a plane could conceivable kill over 10,000 people with one act.

What price is society is willing to pay in lives to give such criminals the gift of their lives?   

I'm

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 09:47:16 am »
If we waited for a perfect system so that no innocent would ever accidentally be punished, we'd never have a justice system.

True, but the same could be said in reverse for a system without capital punishment. If we waited for a perfect system so that no guilty person would ever accidentally be freed, we'd never have a justice system. But at least we wouldn't be doing the killing ourselves.

Someone famous once said something like, 'It's better that 9 guilty men go free than have 1 innocent person jailed'.  Of course, that was said back in the day when communities were smaller and people didn't have atomic weapons and one person flying a plane could conceivable kill over 10,000 people with one act.

True, but that's not a description of most people on death row. The guy whose case you referred to killed someone with a broomstick.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 10:03:23 am »
Though Truman certainly brought realism ta the equation, it still remains an archaic system of metting out justice, one that has been rejected by most civilized nations. In just how many countries is execution still bein discussed - where capital punishment still exists?

C'mon people, move on up to the 20 th century. You'll only be a couple a decades behind the rest a the world.

Killing is wrong. State sanctioned killing is worse.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Scott6373

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 10:08:13 am »

C'mon people, move on up to the 20 th century. You'll only be a couple a decades behind the rest a the world.

That sounds a little harsh.  There are valid reasons for why an individual comes down on whatever side of the debate they come down on.  I certainly do not champion killing for killing's sake, but with my paricular perspective, I can't say that totally oppose capital punishment.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 10:23:52 am »

That sounds a little harsh.  There are valid reasons for why an individual comes down on whatever side of the debate they come down on.  I certainly do not champion killing for killing's sake, but with my paricular perspective, I can't say that totally oppose capital punishment.

Sorry, but that's how I truly feel, and I WAS trying to be sensitive on the subject in statin it that way.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Scott6373

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 10:37:49 am »
Sorry, but that's how I truly feel, and I WAS tryin to be sensitive on the subject in stating it that way.

Then I take great offense at your unsuccessful attempt at sensitivity.  How dare you suggest that because I may hold a different opinion than yours, that I am not "in the 20th century", or infer that I am not as enlightened as you.  That's a pompous and elitist attitude. 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 10:43:37 am »
I think the Capital puinshment only offers a short term solution to a very complex societal problem. Sure, like Del mentioned, it does help to get really dangerous people with no hope of rehabilitation out of circulation. But what about the rests? A lot of killers, very dangerous killers I must add, escape the death penalty by choosing to confess. On the othe hand, society keeps producing criminals and killers. What do we do to stop that, killing them all? It doesn't make sense. I think money spent in building a huge millitary apparatus or in a war, should be used in creating programs to erradicate crime and murder. At least to reduce it.

I don't know this for a fact but a lot of crimes are drug induced. Lots of killers do their killing, their raping under the influence of drugs. And instead of treating drug addiction as disease as other counties do, it is considered a crime. Drug addicts are usually sent to jail. Some are sent to rehabilitation programs but this usually happens when they are first time offenders. Repeated offenders are sent to jail, where they don't get proper treatment. If this problem was address in a different fashion, I think the crime rates will significantly decrease.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 11:16:23 am »
correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Brandon Teena murder take place in Omaha, Nebraska?

Also, one of the reasons for the repeal of the death penalty in Illinois was due to the exonerating influence of new techniques of DNA analysis which proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there were innocent men on Death Row.  Their gubernatorial pardons, and the repeal of the death penalty has been shown in the light of further advances in forensic analysis that WE ARE EXECUTING THE INNOCENT in America.

Executing the guilty is one question - executing the innocent is state-sanctioned murder, in my opinion, and that is why we need to repeal the death penalty in the USA.  And because our justice system is imperfect, and has been demonstrated to be flawed in this supremely dangerous fashion, we cannot impose the final and irreversible penalty on those whom we cannot know are guilty.

As far as whether or not there is a fitting punishment for the crime, the most heinous sex crimes are never brought before a court, nor do the victims raise an accusation against the perpetrator, for these crimes are done between parents and children, cousins, uncles and aunts and nieces and nephews, etc. etc. etc.  The most helpful thing we can do is to give support to the victims, and to encourage them to seek justice for themselves in the way that most supports their own healing and recovery.  And that is my "non theoretical" opinion.  More on this, I will not say.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

injest

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 11:22:39 am »
I just saw "Boys don't cry" for the first time on DVD last night, and am still trying to recover from the shock/pain/immense sorrow. I had heard of the film, as a good film to watch, which dealt with homosexuality, but I didn't read anything (not even the synopsis on the jacket really) before I watched. Even though I thought it was fiction, I was 'living' the bloody thing as I was watching. But oh, when I read at the end what happened to the main characters in real life and realised it was a true story, my blood curled. I froze and felt SO much for Brandon/Teena  :'(

Which brings me to this reflection: as a typical European, I oppose capital punishment. I know, it is easy for me, not having come remotely close in real life to anyone who has ever been seriously mugged. But when I read on the screen that one of the culprits had been sentenced to death and was trying to have his sentence commuted, my gut reaction that second was "you can bloody well die, you bastard!". Then 2 seconds later I came round and thought "and what good will it do Brandon/Teena?"
This was like a test for me: I felt so much for this girl/boy, and hated the rapists'/murderers' guts so much, I still quickly found it in myself, in my reasoning, to oppose that bastard's death sentence.

But boy, Texas, what a place, hunh??! And that happened in 1993. Makes me all the more certain that Jack was murdered.

you have no idea how many people have pooh poohed me when I have expressed fear living here...deep in the heart of the dead woods. Wednesday a young black man was dragged from a SUV because he is dating a white girl...they say he lost his nose, cheek and eye.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 11:26:57 am »
The United States has a higher murder rate than industrialized countries that don't have capital punishment. States with capital punishment have higher murder rates than states without capital punishment.

This correlation doesn't prove that capital punishment causes murder. (It's possible that it's the other way around, that countries and states with higher murder rates institute capital punishment because they see more of a need for it.)

But it does suggest that capital punishment doesn't work, either as a deterrent or as a method for keeping murderers off the streets.

Jess, your post came in while I was writing this. That is absolutely sickening.

injest

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 11:29:51 am »

no, it would still have been self defence, Scott. you would have been defending your own soul. The damage to your body heals. I don't know (speaking from experience myself) what will heal the soul. Seems to me to be pretty much still tattered...(mine I mean)

injest

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 11:34:17 am »
Yeah, I couldn't ask that much, I think from your stand point it would be justice served, as rightly so. What bothers me about Capitol Punishment is the finality of it, how it is abused both past and present. Once an innocent person is put to death, you can't bring them back. 

I dont have a problem with the death penalty as a punishment...only with it as it is currently being used. The day a white, well educated, wealthy middle aged man gets the death penalty I may feel differently. It is odd to me that the only people we have executed here in Texas were poor and ill educated....cause I am fairly sure they are not the only ones commiting the crimes...

injest

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 11:35:20 am »
To answer the query of this thread.  Boys do cry.  Trust me.

{{{Scott}}}

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 11:46:16 am »
correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Brandon Teena murder take place in Omaha, Nebraska?

I'm not sure about the Omaha part (memory failure), but, yes, it did take place in Nebraska. I read about it in (where else?) The New Yorker long before the film was made.

(I haven't seen the film. In the movie, did they change the setting to Texas?)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 02:01:10 pm »

According to Wikipedia it happened in Falls City, Nebraska.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Teena

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 02:04:53 pm »
It's called The Bluest Eyes in Texas, and it was performed by Nina Persson and Nathan Larson.  The movie does have a soundtrack.

Thanks so much!

In fact, probably because of this song, I thought the story of "Boys Don't Cry" had taken place in Texas, when it really happened in Nebraska! That's why I was going on about Texas in my OP. Sorry, forget about it!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 02:06:36 pm »
you have no idea how many people have pooh poohed me when I have expressed fear living here...deep in the heart of the dead woods. Wednesday a young black man was dragged from a SUV because he is dating a white girl...they say he lost his nose, cheek and eye.

:(

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 02:15:01 pm »

Do you mean in TEXAS???
Louise said it, it actually took place in Nebraska, but the song "the bluest eyes in Texas" made me think the story occurred there.
" - I'm vegan now."

injest

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 02:18:14 pm »
Do you mean in TEXAS???
Louise said it, it actually took place in Nebraska, but the song "the bluest eyes in Texas" made me think the story occurred there.

yes I live in Texas....but I really was talking about living in one of these small enclaves out here in the middle of the country where the bigots inbreed...

injest

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 02:25:45 pm »
sometimes it feels like we are on two different planets. not just a hour or two away. The law out here depends on who you know and how long you have lived here.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 03:42:12 pm »
yes I live in Texas....but I really was talking about living in one of these small enclaves out here in the middle of the country where the bigots inbreed...

I think there are still some "white-only" communities in the South to date, am I right Jess?
I won't be entirely surprised either.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2007, 03:51:25 pm »
I think there are still some "white-only" communities in the South to date, am I right Jess?

In Virginia I do not know of any, perhaps is the mountains in SW part of the state.
I have heard of places in Arkansas that are all white, a friend of mine is from one of them.

injest

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 07:23:55 pm »

well the signs outside of town are gone....the attitude remains. and that goes for gays too...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2007, 11:59:35 pm »

Kat

Quote from: delalluvia on Today at 07:24:15 AM
If we waited for a perfect system so that no innocent would ever accidentally be punished, we'd never have a justice system.

True, but the same could be said in reverse for a system without capital punishment. If we waited for a perfect system so that no guilty person would ever accidentally be freed, we'd never have a justice system. But at least we wouldn't be doing the killing ourselves.

True, but what causes more damage to society?  The big picture is what is at stake here.  The safety of society.

The United States has a higher murder rate than industrialized countries that don't have capital punishment. States with capital punishment have higher murder rates than states without capital punishment.

Some say that’s a gun problem, which is another discussion.

But it does suggest that capital punishment doesn't work, either as a deterrent or as a method for keeping murderers off the streets.

But that’s only if you think capital punishment is supposed to be a deterrent.  If you don’t think it is, then this isn’t an issue.  Prison is supposed to be a deterrent, but that doesn’t work either as the crime rates show, but obviously we can’t do away with prisons.

Quote from:  delalluvia

True, but that's not a description of most people on death row. The guy whose case you referred to killed someone with a broomstick.

Is what he did any less heinous?  He didn’t just kill one person.  Had he not been stopped – and he’s been stopped permanently now – he might have killed and had the opportunity to kill hundreds all by himself.  In Texas there is no ‘life without parole’.  Vicious serial killers will get the opportunity for parole

Scott,

I agree.  I don’t like capital punishment but those who get it almost always have it coming, IMO.  I don’t like war, some think war is the same as ‘state sanctioned murder’ because there are always innocent people killed in wartime but I have to say that in some circumstances it’s warranted.

Opinionista

I don't know this for a fact but a lot of crimes are drug induced. Lots of killers do their killing, their raping under the influence of drugs. And instead of treating drug addiction as disease as other counties do, it is considered a crime. Drug addicts are usually sent to jail. Some are sent to rehabilitation programs but this usually happens when they are first time offenders. Repeated offenders are sent to jail, where they don't get proper treatment. If this problem was address in a different fashion, I think the crime rates will significantly decrease.

I certainly agree that drugs crimes and their perpetrators are currently filling our prisons and you are exactly right in that people in prison receive no treatment.  The problem is that the drug addicts commit crimes so that they can feed their habits – and why?  Because they have no money.

The state could fund drug treatment for any criminal convicted of a drug-related crime while he’s in prison, but eventually he might get released and then what?  Getting out of prison and drying out didn’t make him an instant millionaire.  He’s still unemployed and likely poor and now has a criminal record which makes it harder to get a job.  Addicts of any kind can and do fall off the wagon quite frequently.  Then what?  Without a large tax funded drug program to treat ALL offenders whenever they fall off the wagon or are tempted to, chances are pretty good they’ll fall off the wagon, then go out and commit another crime to fund their next hit.  Their whole lives can be nothing but a series of falling off the wagon and getting back on.  For the state to try to fund such a program would be like throwing money down a pit.  Taking it simply as a financial matter, it might be cheaper over the long haul for the taxpayer to keep the offender in jail.

Jess

I dont have a problem with the death penalty as a punishment...only with it as it is currently being used. The day a white, well educated, wealthy middle aged man gets the death penalty I may feel differently. It is odd to me that the only people we have executed here in Texas were poor and ill educated....cause I am fairly sure they are not the only ones commiting the crimes...

I agree completely.  It makes me grind my teeth to see people get out of the death penalty because they are white or could afford better counsel.  *sigh*  But to say that is unfair kicks capitalism in the shinbones.  You get what you pay for.  Why shouldn’t those who can get the best counsel they can afford?  It’s not their fault that other people are poor.

well the signs outside of town are gone....the attitude remains. and that goes for gays too...

Friends of mine live in either all white small towns or the people of color live – literally – on the other side of the tracks and stay there.  My mother and a friend remember a sign that used to stand outside the Welcome sign to Greenville, Texas.  It said “The blackest land and the whitest people.”

My mother and my friend know very very well what that sign was implying.  Some (white) redneck friends of mine who live there or in a smaller nearby town, are either willingly blind or naïve or both (since they’re hardline Republicans I’m going to say willingly blind) and protest that the sign was just about the growing conditions for crops.   ::)

injest

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2007, 12:13:50 am »
Del, I love your posts...you just tickle me to death...so detailed and clearly delineated...you put a lot of thought into your posts...

(not ha ha tickle....just...tickle...)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2007, 12:19:31 am »
Del, I love your posts...you just tickle me to death...so detailed and clearly delineated...you put a lot of thought into your posts...

(not ha ha tickle....just...tickle...)

;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2007, 01:17:52 am »
True, but what causes more damage to society?  The big picture is what is at stake here.  The safety of society.

Yes, but innocents who get executed are also members of society. How do their numbers compare to those of murder victims of people who have already been sentenced to life sentences for murder but have somehow gotten out? I don't know. If they're anywhere even remotely close, I'd still err on the side of avoiding state-sanctioned murder. And maybe tighten the laws concerning life sentences.

Some say that’s a gun problem, which is another discussion.

Agreed, and I'm also one of those people.

But that’s only if you think capital punishment is supposed to be a deterrent.  If you don’t think it is, then this isn’t an issue.  Prison is supposed to be a deterrent, but that doesn’t work either as the crime rates show, but obviously we can’t do away with prisons.

Prisons may not solve crime, but they're the best we can do to get criminals off the street without actually killing them. I don't know ... what do France and England and Sweden and Germany and Japan and all those other capital-punishment-free industrialized countries do to keep their murder rate lower than ours? Whatever it is, let's do that.

Is what he did any less heinous?  He didn’t just kill one person.  Had he not been stopped – and he’s been stopped permanently now – he might have killed and had the opportunity to kill hundreds all by himself.

What he did was horrible. But I still don't think he's proof of the need for capital punishment.

I don’t like war, some think war is the same as ‘state sanctioned murder’ because there are always innocent people killed in wartime but I have to say that in some circumstances it’s warranted.

Whole new subject, but yeah, it often is state-sanctioned murder. In some circumstances it may be warranted, but I don't know if the civilians getting blown up would necessarily agree with Dick Cheney on which particular circumstances warrant their deaths. The question of what circumstances DO warrant it is endlessly debatable.

I certainly agree that drugs crimes and their perpetrators are currently filling our prisons and you are exactly right in that people in prison receive no treatment.  The problem is that the drug addicts commit crimes so that they can feed their habits – and why?  Because they have no money.

But there are a lot of people filling our prisons who wouldn't even be criminals if our drug laws weren't so harsh. These aren't all addicts committing crimes like robbery in order to finance their habit. They're people whose drug use or sale or possession, in and of itself, gets them prison sentences. Change the drug laws, and suddenly we have lots more prison room.

The state could fund drug treatment for any criminal convicted of a drug-related crime while he’s in prison, but eventually he might get released and then what?  Getting out of prison and drying out didn’t make him an instant millionaire.  He’s still unemployed and likely poor and now has a criminal record which makes it harder to get a job

Exactly.

It makes me grind my teeth to see people get out of the death penalty because they are white or could afford better counsel.  *sigh*  But to say that is unfair kicks capitalism in the shinbones.  You get what you pay for.  Why shouldn’t those who can get the best counsel they can afford?  It’s not their fault that other people are poor.

True, unfair doesn't even begin to describe it. Even if you agree with capital punishment in principle, when the difference between being executed and not being executed is a matter of having money -- earned, inherited, whatever -- rather than being guilty, IMO the system is evil. It may not be rich people's fault that poor people are poor (though that's debatable, too), but it certainly is any citizen's fault if poor people get unfair treatment in our justice system.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2007, 01:22:16 am »
Just slightly relevant. I was passing through Wyoming last week, and I picked up a copy of the Riverton Ranger newspaper.  ::)

In it was an article about a kid who had a terminal illness. He received something from the Make A Wish Foundation. It was a hunt to kill an elk. Boy this is a mixed up turned upside down world.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2007, 02:29:06 am »
Yes, but innocents who get executed are also members of society. How do their numbers compare to those of murder victims of people who have already been sentenced to life sentences for murder but have somehow gotten out? I don't know. If they're anywhere even remotely close, I'd still err on the side of avoiding state-sanctioned murder. And maybe tighten the laws concerning life sentences.

Actually I was thinking on how they compare to the people who are victimized by the guilty who get out of prison and commit more crimes.  I think the ripple effect is greater with them than with the innocent soul mistakenly executed.  Again, who suffers the most? 

Prisons may not solve crime, but they're the best we can do to get criminals off the street without actually killing them. I don't know ... what do France and England and Sweden and Germany and Japan and all those other capital-punishment-free industrialized countries do to keep their murder rate lower than ours? Whatever it is, let's do that.

Those countries are much smaller than the U.S. and can afford to do things that we cannot.  I remember the discussion right after 9/11 how Israel had great security at their airports, guards and search teams and why couldn't the US do that?  The answer was scale.  The US had over 100 times the air traffic of Israel.  It wasn't cost-effective.  I have a feeling that whatever those countries are doing, we cannot afford to do the same.

What he did was horrible. But I still don't think he's proof of the need for capital punishment.

Going to have to agree to disagree about that.  I think McDuff was the poster boy for the need for capital punishment.  One of his victims, Colleen Reed, was kidnapped from a car wash that I passed every day on my way to school.  I remember feeling like I had dodged a bullet.

Whole new subject, but yeah, it often is state-sanctioned murder. In some circumstances it may be warranted, but I don't know if the civilians getting blown up would necessarily agree with Dick Cheney on which particular circumstances warrant their deaths. The question of what circumstances DO warrant it is endlessly debatable.

Yes different subject, but I brought it up simply to say that 'state sanctioned murder' can also be applied and is applied by some people to the waging of war.  Those poor blown up civilians wouldn't necessarily agree with ANYone who said their deaths were for the good of ANY war effort.  One reason war is hell.  Only the end result matters.

But there are a lot of people filling our prisons who wouldn't even be criminals if our drug laws weren't so harsh. These aren't all addicts committing crimes like robbery in order to finance their habit. They're people whose drug use or sale or possession, in and of itself, gets them prison sentences. Change the drug laws, and suddenly we have lots more prison room.

I think if someone sells drugs to kids, then they deserve prison.  If someone is in possession of drugs, depending upon the drug and if they happened to be a surgeon or professional driver or pilot, they are the people who keep the demand for drugs up and keep the cycle of addiction and crime going, if not prison, then a hefty fine might be the answer there. 

True, unfair doesn't even begin to describe it. Even if you agree with capital punishment in principle, when the difference between being executed and not being executed is a matter of having money -- earned, inherited, whatever -- rather than being guilty, IMO the system is evil. It may not be rich people's fault that poor people are poor (though that's debatable, too), but it certainly is any citizen's fault if poor people get unfair treatment in our justice system.

Hold on.  I didn't mean to imply that wealthy people were acquitted while the poor got executed, what I meant was that the poor get executed while the wealthy - still found guilty - manage to get jail time instead for the same crimes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:34:36 am by delalluvia »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2007, 04:40:23 am »
Actually I was thinking on how they compare to the people who are victimized by the guilty who get out of prison and commit more crimes.  I think the ripple effect is greater with them than with the innocent soul mistakenly executed.  Again, who suffers the most? 

There are those who maintain that all killing is murder, and that harm done to any is harm done to all.   And that includes punishment.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2007, 11:21:21 am »

I guess anyone who dies suffers, whether they are a victim of a murderer or a victim of a mistake by the justice system. If you're saying which group is bigger, I'm willing to grant that it's possible there are more victims of guilty people who get out of prison than there are innocents executed. So the solution would be, tighten the laws regarding life sentences and parole to let fewer potential murderers back on the street. And meanwhile, abolish capital punishment, so the government won't be in the business of committing murder.

Those countries are much smaller than the U.S. and can afford to do things that we cannot.  I remember the discussion right after 9/11 how Israel had great security at their airports, guards and search teams and why couldn't the US do that?  The answer was scale.  The US had over 100 times the air traffic of Israel.  It wasn't cost-effective.  I have a feeling that whatever those countries are doing, we cannot afford to do the same.

Well, since apparently neither of us knows what those countries are doing, it's impossible to judge the cost-effectiveness or affordability. One thing I suspect those countries may be doing, though, is not maintaining the culture of violence that the U.S. has -- in many ways, but a big one being capital punishment.

Going to have to agree to disagree about that.  I think McDuff was the poster boy for the need for capital punishment.  One of his victims, Colleen Reed, was kidnapped from a car wash that I passed every day on my way to school.  I remember feeling like I had dodged a bullet.

It's a genuinely horrifying story, and I can see how this would have had a profound effect on you and your opinions.

Yes different subject, but I brought it up simply to say that 'state sanctioned murder' can also be applied and is applied by some people to the waging of war.  Those poor blown up civilians wouldn't necessarily agree with ANYone who said their deaths were for the good of ANY war effort.  One reason war is hell.  Only the end result matters.

Agreed on all counts. War is state-sanctioned murder. And the blown up civilians probably wouldn't agree that their deaths were necessary. And the end result does matter very much. A moral government would be extremely careful and thoughtful and cautious about deciding to wage war, and do so only for a very, very good reason.

I think if someone sells drugs to kids, then they deserve prison.  If someone is in possession of drugs, depending upon the drug and if they happened to be a surgeon or professional driver or pilot, they are the people who keep the demand for drugs up and keep the cycle of addiction and crime going, if not prison, then a hefty fine might be the answer there. 

What fines to apply and to whom -- and when a prison term is called for -- is debatable. What's clear to me is that the drug penalties in place now are way out of line. Actually, I'm not only for reducing drug penalties, but for legalizing at least some drugs. Marijuana should never have been illegal in the first place. And I wonder how many people are doing time for pot-related crimes.

Hold on.  I didn't mean to imply that wealthy people were acquitted while the poor got executed, what I meant was that the poor get executed while the wealthy - still found guilty - manage to get jail time instead for the same crimes.

I don't think that I implied that you implied that. What I said was, "when the difference between being executed and not being executed is a matter of having money -- earned, inherited, whatever -- rather than being guilty, IMO the system is evil." There's a big difference between being executed and getting jail time. Any system that allows those punishments to be allocated on the basis of the convicted person's wealth is fundamentally immoral.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »
Killing people is wrong. Why should it suddenly be alright, when the killing is done by a state? Plus, a "state" is nothing more than an artificial structure, made by humans and represented by individuals. This means there are persons who think they have the right to take another person's life. When this person is an electrician, he's a murderer - and when this person is a judge (in office) it's alright?
The effect remains the same: one person thinks s/he is entitled to decide on another person's life or death. One (or more) person thinks another human being deserves death - this is simply wrong under any circumstances.

From dellaluvia:
For the state to try to fund such a program would be like throwing money down a pit.  Taking it simply as a financial matter, it might be cheaper over the long haul for the taxpayer to keep the offender in jail.

This frightens me outright. To judge people on a monetary basis, if it pays for the majority or not. I know it happens, not only in justice but also in other areas of life, but the coldness with which you seem to accept this as natural frightens me. I hope I got you wrong here.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2007, 02:00:14 pm »

I believe there are far less guns available in most European countries. At least in Spain, there aren't as many guns out there as in the US. Also, there's a different approach to drug addiction and the drug culture in general, which is the cause of lots of murders in the US, IMO. Countries like The Netherlands treat it like a disease.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2007, 03:24:27 pm »
Kat

Quote from: delalluvia on Today at 01:29:06 AM

I guess anyone who dies suffers, whether they are a victim of a murderer or a victim of a mistake by the justice system. If you're saying which group is bigger, I'm willing to grant that it's possible there are more victims of guilty people who get out of prison than there are innocents executed. So the solution would be, tighten the laws regarding life sentences and parole to let fewer potential murderers back on the street. And meanwhile, abolish capital punishment, so the government won't be in the business of committing murder.
That would be one solution.

Well, since apparently neither of us knows what those countries are doing, it's impossible to judge the cost-effectiveness or affordability. One thing I suspect those countries may be doing, though, is not maintaining the culture of violence that the U.S. has -- in many ways, but a big one being capital punishment.

Excellent point.  But of course, some of those countries have contradictory elements that confound.  For example, the Japanese pop culture is rife with extreme violence, yet they have – aside from their gangster culture – a relatively peaceful culture…at least in the last 60 years they have.  Before that…[shrug].   

It's a genuinely horrifying story, and I can see how this would have had a profound effect on you and your opinions.

McDuff was doing his business in Texas.  Can’t tell you how panicked I was when I got a flat tire while he was still at large and was desperately changing it as quick as I could lest someone come by and offer to ‘help’.  Once he was caught and the details of what he had done to her came out…I had nightmares.

Agreed on all counts. War is state-sanctioned murder. And the blown up civilians probably wouldn't agree that their deaths were necessary. And the end result does matter very much. A moral government would be extremely careful and thoughtful and cautious about deciding to wage war, and do so only for a very, very good reason.

Absolutely.

What fines to apply and to whom -- and when a prison term is called for -- is debatable. What's clear to me is that the drug penalties in place now are way out of line. Actually, I'm not only for reducing drug penalties, but for legalizing at least some drugs. Marijuana should never have been illegal in the first place. And I wonder how many people are doing time for pot-related crimes.

Agree about pot.  I’m not sure about other areas, but Texas passed laws sometime ago, (depending upon how much is on a person if caught - things like potted plants or just some for personal use, obviously indicates the person is not a drug smuggler or dealer), most pot smokers just get a ticket.

I don't think that I implied that you implied that. What I said was, "when the difference between being executed and not being executed is a matter of having money -- earned, inherited, whatever -- rather than being guilty, IMO the system is evil." There's a big difference between being executed and getting jail time. Any system that allows those punishments to be allocated on the basis of the convicted person's wealth is fundamentally immoral.

I agree the difference is reprehensible, but just because they are poor, doesn’t mean the convicted criminals didn’t deserve execution.  The rich people, IMO, just didn’t get what they had coming.  They got punished, it’s just a matter of degree.  The poor just lost out big time due to their financial situation.

Penthesilea

Killing people is wrong. Why should it suddenly be alright, when the killing is done by a state? Plus, a "state" is nothing more than an artificial structure, made by humans and represented by individuals. This means there are persons who think they have the right to take another person's life. When this person is an electrician, he's a murderer - and when this person is a judge (in office) it's alright?
The effect remains the same: one person thinks s/he is entitled to decide on another person's life or death. One (or more) person thinks another human being deserves death - this is simply wrong under any circumstances.

IMO, killing someone in self-defense isn’t ‘wrong’.  I don’t think in some situations killing people when you are at war is ‘wrong’.  Both are regrettable but necessary.  What is the state doing but the larger version of ‘self-defense’?  I don’t get your argument though about the state being an ‘artificial structure’.  Yes it is, but what has that to do with anything?  The state is artificial.  Killing is quite natural.  People have always thought there was some reason to take another’s life.  We have evidence going back to prehistoric times - bones of Neanderthal Man showing knife wounds; Otzi the glacier man has an arrowhead in his back.  The state developed to help organize and control society.  We let it do or prevent what we would normally do as individuals.   

From dellaluvia:
For the state to try to fund such a program would be like throwing money down a pit.  Taking it simply as a financial matter, it might be cheaper over the long haul for the taxpayer to keep the offender in jail.

This frightens me outright. To judge people on a monetary basis, if it pays for the majority or not. I know it happens, not only in justice but also in other areas of life, but the coldness with which you seem to accept this as natural frightens me. I hope I got you wrong here.

No, it’s disgusting to put a price on life, but in the end, that’s what it comes down to.  Especially in a capitalist society.  It’s pie in the sky to think a country can afford everything.

In Texas for example, to implement a drug-treatment program for life on all drug-offenders would probably cost in the hundreds of millions of dollars.  Maybe billions.

Texas currently has one of the lowest tax rates in the nation.  That would not continue if we implemented this program.  People who are living on the edge of being lower income as opposed to poor, would become destitute.  My conservative friend is already bitching about the tax rate here and we have low taxes.  He is law-abiding, has a mortgage, a stay-at-home wife, two young children and a quarter million dollar hospital bill due to the hospital stay of his last child who was born premature.  You increase the tax rate and he will be pushed over the edge, his wife forced to work, his children put in some low-charge daycare.  He might lose his home.  And why?  Because someone wants to give convicted criminals a drug program?

He would not respond positively to this.

Some Texans – if presented with the need to increase taxes would say ‘that money would be better spent on schooling for our children.  Texas’ education is a joke.  We also need our roads repaired and cleanup of some industrial areas and etc.’. 

The rightwing conservative thinking is really just an extreme version of capitalism in these kind of situations.

‘Why doesn’t the state put in a drug treatment program for addicts?’

The conservative/extreme capitalist response is ‘Why don’t addicts seek help for themselves?  They know they have a problem.  I’m sure their family/friends tell them that.  Society certainly does.  That way they don’t end up doing crimes and being in prison.’  It’s a matter of personal responsibility and in their opinion drug-addicts and criminals have fallen down in that.  'No one made them start taking drugs.  They did it to themselves and now they want the state to bail them out?'  They don't feel like spending money on people who don't take personal responsibility for their actions.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:46:51 pm by delalluvia »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2007, 03:45:07 pm »

The conservative/extreme capitalist response is ‘Why don’t addicts seek help for themselves?  They know they have a problem.  I’m sure their family/friends tell them that.  Society certainly does.  That way they don’t end up doing crimes and being in prison.’  It’s a matter of personal responsibility and in their opinion drug-addicts and criminals have fallen down in that.  'No one made them start taking drugs.  They did it to themselves and now they want the state to bail them out?'  They don't feel like spending money on people who don't take personal responsibility for their actions.

DEL, this statement is a "pie in the sky" statement of sorts. This is really where the divide is between the American and the European ways of thinking: it is deeply engrained in American 'ideology', or so it would seem, that every person has total freedom, total free will, and therefore total responsibility and should answer for what they do wrong because they wanted to do wrong.

In Europe, we believe that some people need help, that not everyone was born with the same opportunities in life, nor with the same strength and mental make-up, and where some will come out of a fucked up childhood more or less sane, others will go wrong given the circumstances, or the mental strength.

Not everyone is equal as far as resisting drug addiction for instance is concerned. There are deep, sometimes mysterious reasons for a person to become an alcoholic or a drug addict, and it is NOT all up to self control and personal choice.

I remember reading in a New York Times article 2 months ago, around Martin Luther King day: "MLK held the unfashionable (in the US) view that the community must help those who are in trouble". I think in Europe, so far, it has been 'fashionable' to agree with MLK on that point.

And if your friend paid higher taxes, then he'd have decent public health care for his child and wouldn't have to ruin himself and his family on private health care. All in all, he'd probably come out richer in the end.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:24:58 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2007, 03:58:32 pm »
DEL, this statement is a "pie in the sky" statement of sorts. This is really where the divide is between the American and the European ways of thinking: it is deeply engrained in American 'ideology', or so it would seem, that every person has total freedom, total free will, and therefore total responsibility and should answer for what they do wrong because they wanted to do wrong.

In Europe, we believe that some people need help, that not everyone was born with the same opportunities in life, nor with the same strength and mental make-up, and where some will come out of a fucked up childhood more or less sane, others will go wrong given the circumstances, or the mental strength.

Not everyone is equal as far as resisting drug addiction for instance is concerned. There are deep, sometimes mysterious reasons for a person to become an alcoholic or a drug addict, and it is NOT all up to self control and personal choice.

Yes.  I agree that not everyone has the same opportunities, but you get the argument right back that 'XYZ is blaming is his bad and poor background on his drug addiction and killing spree, but ABC had the same background and pulled himself up by his bootstraps and now owns his own business and has a nice life, obviously it's not a defense to say you had it so bad you couldn't help becoming a criminal.  Other people have it just as bad and don't become criminals, so there is a choice somewhere down the line.'

And they would be correct.  It doesn't necessarily follow that because one was born poor and had a bad home life that criminality is always the final outcome. [shrug]

I remember reading in a New York Times article 2 months ago, around Martin Luther King day: "MLK held the unfashionable (in the US) view that the community must help those who are in trouble". I think in Europe, so far, it has been 'fashionable' to agree with MLK on that point.

And if your friend paid higher taxes, then he's have decent public health care for his child and wouldn't have to ruin himself and his family on private health care. All in all, he'd probably come out richer in the end.

They don't think much of public health care.  They want to be able to go to whatever doctor they want and think best and get the necessary tests and treatment whenever they want to (and can afford it).  According to what has been said about public healthcare, this isn't always possible.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:01:45 pm by delalluvia »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2007, 04:22:47 pm »
Yes.  I agree that not everyone has the same opportunities, but you get the argument right back that 'XYZ is blaming is his bad and poor background on his drug addiction and killing spree, but ABC had the same background and pulled himself up by his bootstraps and now owns his own business and has a nice life, obviously it's not a defense to say you had it so bad you couldn't help becoming a criminal.  Other people have it just as bad and don't become criminals, so there is a choice somewhere down the line.'

And they would be correct.  It doesn't necessarily follow that because one was born poor and had a bad home life that criminality is always the final outcome. [shrug]

NO, I do not mean that the same causes have the same effects, not at all! I say it depends on the person's mental make up, and NO, I do not believe that there is much personal choice in becoming a criminal.

They don't think much of public health care.  They want to be able to go to whatever doctor they want and think best and get the necessary tests and treatment whenever they want to (and can afford it).  According to what has been said about public healthcare, this isn't always possible.
Well, in France we have public health care and you can still choose which doctor you want to see, and which hospital you want to go to! All our best specialists are covered by public health care.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2007, 04:23:27 pm »

And if your friend paid higher taxes, then he's have decent public health care for his child and wouldn't have to ruin himself and his family on private health care. All in all, he'd probably come out richer in the end.

Isabelle, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said here. Thanks for bringing it so eloquent to the point.
It's called solidarity. I live in a solidary community and I am thankful for that. I'm willingly paying a whole lot of taxes when I consider what I get in exchange for it: we have insurence against unemployment, we have health insurance, my children can go to public schools who deserve the name educational institution and so on.
I, personally, and my family would perhaps be financially better off if we had to pay and organize all insurances and other benefits on a private basis instead via a big solidary community. And our system is far from being perfect. But I am willing to pay more into the system than I get from the system because I know many people are far worse off than we are. And who knows? Maybe one day I will be on the receiving end of the line. As I said before: I am thankful to live in a solidarity community.

I'm aware that the system is far from being perfect and injustices happen here, too. But maybe the basic structure if living in a solidarity community is one reason for the lower violence in (most?) European countries than in the US.

From dellaluvia:
IMO, killing someone in self-defense isn’t ‘wrong’.  I don’t think in some situations killing people when you are at war is ‘wrong’.  Both are regrettable but necessary.  What is the state doing but the larger version of ‘self-defense’?  I don’t get your argument though about the state being an ‘artificial structure’.  Yes it is, but what has that to do with anything?  The state is artificial.  Killing is quite natural.  People have always thought there was some reason to take another’s life.  We have evidence going back to prehistoric times - bones of Neanderthal Man showing knife wounds; Otzi the glacier man has an arrowhead in his back.  The state developed to help organize and control society.  We let it do or prevent what we would normally do as individuals.   

I didn't mean the state being an artificial structure in any negative judging way. The emphasis was on it being made by humans and represented by humans, individuals. Therefore it is at first failable and in the end it comes down to every representative of the state being nothing more than just one person: human, failable, having good days and bad days and being not more "worth" than any other person of the community. And therefore having not the right to judge over another person's right to live.

Edit: this is my third edit of this post. I give up now. If you find any more typos or other mistakes, you may keep them  ;D.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:31:40 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2007, 08:49:44 pm »

You are right. This is a very complex issue, and I think opinions on either end are a little bit right and a little bit wrong. Environment is not the sole determinant of behavior. In other words, many people come from poor or otherwise bad backgrounds and turn out just fine. Those resillient people are very admirable. They show that it CAN be done.

On the other hand, the proportion of people who come from bad backgrounds and then become criminals is much higher than the proportion of people from middle-class or wealthy families who turn to crime. Does that mean affluent people are somehow inherently or genetically less crime-prone? Of course not. It means background is one factor in causing crime. Even though it's POSSIBLE to grow up in poverty and turn out fine, that doesn't work for everybody. Poverty is more likely than affluence to produce criminals.

Now, poverty is an explanation, not an excuse or a defense. People are ultimately responsible for their own actions. Criminals should be punished whatever their backgrounds.

BUT is our ultimate goal to point the finger and blame people, or to reduce crime? If it's reducing crime, then we'd better just face the reality that poverty is correlated with crime, and helping more people out of poverty would be one logical way to cut crime rates.

The classic American view that individuals are responsible for their own actions makes some sense. But it doesn't actually solve anything. To solve a problem, you have to pragmatically deal with its causes.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2007, 11:37:57 pm »
Isabelle

Well, in France we have public health care and you can still choose which doctor you want to see, and which hospital you want to go to! All our best specialists are covered by public health care.

You left out the ‘when’ part.  Can they go see the doctor of their choice whenever they want?  My friends consider this very important.  After all, if one thinks one has cancer or has a painful chronic problem, they would want to be able to seek out a specialist and begin treatment at once.

What do doctors get paid in France?  I watched a movie once called ‘Shallow Grave’ and it was set in Scotland.  In it, one character was a doctor and she lived with two other roommates.  I was amazed.  Why would a doctor of medicine need to have roommates?  In the US being a doctor is a very lucrative, very respected profession and as such, many many people strive to be one, so colleges have their pick of the best of the best.  The schooling is long and rigorous and expensive.  I used to work at a scholarship service for African students and those students who wanted to be doctors didn’t come to the US for medical school.  They went to England.  Reason?  There was less schooling in the UK.  I’m not sure what that means, but it didn’t sound very reassuring.

Penthelisea

It's called solidarity. I live in a solidary community and I am thankful for that. I'm willingly paying a whole lot of taxes when I consider what I get in exchange for it: we have insurance against unemployment, we have health insurance, my children can go to public schools who deserve the name educational institution and so on.
I, personally, and my family would perhaps be financially better off if we had to pay and organize all insurances and other benefits on a private basis instead via a big solidary community. And our system is far from being perfect. But I am willing to pay more into the system than I get from the system because I know many people are far worse off than we are.

I'm aware that the system is far from being perfect and injustices happen here, too. But maybe the basic structure if living in a solidarity community is one reason for the lower violence in (most?) European countries than in the US.

During the recent student strikes in Paris, my friends were shocked to find out that once you get a job there it’s almost impossible to be fired.  They were wondering, how in the world does anyone change jobs, change careers or anyone who isn’t from France and perhaps wants to live there, get a job with laws like these?

Coming from a capitalist society, you won’t find many people who want a lot of government involved in the daily running of the economy and general living.  One idea of America is rugged individualism, taking care of your own, not depending on someone else to do it for you.  Again, the right-wing extreme viewpoint is that not everyone is going to make it, and it is folly to try to make it so.  My more religious right-wing friends even quote Jesus, “There will be poor, always.”

The emphasis was on it being made by humans and represented by humans, individuals. Therefore it is at first failable and in the end it comes down to every representative of the state being nothing more than just one person: human, failable, having good days and bad days and being not more "worth" than any other person of the community. And therefore having not the right to judge over another person's right to live.

Yes, they are each one person, but they aren’t running things as one person.  The system is running things, and people work and take actions within the framework set up by the system which was designed and agreed upon and implemented by groups of people over the generations.  Not everyone was having a bad day when they set it up.  Individuals have good days and bad days, sure, everyone does, but the system doesn’t.

Kat

Does that mean affluent people are somehow inherently or genetically less crime-prone? Of course not. It means background is one factor in causing crime. Even though it's POSSIBLE to grow up in poverty and turn out fine, that doesn't work for everybody. Poverty is more likely than affluence to produce criminals.

Is more likely, yes.  So why is that?  People aren’t being put in jail because they’re stealing food to feed their kids or clothes to put on their backs.  Poor people see that life can be very very very good if you have a lot of money.  They aren’t happy living in a dump and eking out a living, knowing that they might never rise about their economic status and never have what wealthy people have.  Some poor people decide – choose – the easier option.  Instead of working hard, living within their means, which may not be much, they turn to crime as a quicker way to get what they want.

It's less poor people producing criminals as greed producing criminals.  I don’t recall where I read this, but some older person was quoted as saying ‘We was poor growing up, but we didn’t know we was poor.  We had food, clothing, roof over our heads, life was great and we were proud of our hard work’.  He went on to posit that perhaps the advent of television helped fuel greed and the feeling of worthlessness in poor people by opening up the world and exposing poor people to the fact that they were monetarily poor and that having money brought respect and attention and easy living.

BUT is our ultimate goal to point the finger and blame people, or to reduce crime? If it's reducing crime, then we'd better just face the reality that poverty is correlated with crime, and helping more people out of poverty would be one logical way to cut crime rates.

Well, the answer is both.  As you say, this is a very complicated issue.  Crimes happen, poverty happens, so someone or something must be responsible, so one must point the finger to the causation in order to ameliorate it.

The classic American view that individuals are responsible for their own actions makes some sense. But it doesn't actually solve anything. To solve a problem, you have to pragmatically deal with its causes.

To view something doesn’t solve anything, agreed, but if classic American society is set up so that people are held responsible for their individual actions, then it does.  The problem is, when individuals are not held responsible, because people say their actions stem from society or poverty or some great boogeyman, suddenly you have criminals justifying their individual actions as not their fault.

Boggle boggle boggle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 11:41:19 pm by delalluvia »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2007, 04:17:58 am »
Isabelle

You left out the ‘when’ part.  Can they go see the doctor of their choice whenever they want?  My friends consider this very important.  After all, if one thinks one has cancer or has a painful chronic problem, they would want to be able to seek out a specialist and begin treatment at once.

What do doctors get paid in France?  I watched a movie once called ‘Shallow Grave’ and it was set in Scotland.  In it, one character was a doctor and she lived with two other roommates.  I was amazed.  Why would a doctor of medicine need to have roommates?  In the US being a doctor is a very lucrative, very respected profession and as such, many many people strive to be one, so colleges have their pick of the best of the best.  The schooling is long and rigorous and expensive. 

OOOhhh, poor Scottish doctor! No, in France you can see a doctor WHEN you want ! And yes, doctors are VERY well paid in France (it's like: private salary, public funding, which can be shocking), and the colleges to become a doctor pick the very best students since there are WAY too many of them (everybody wants to become a doc, it's so well paid!).  The studies are long, but in France you don't have to be rich to become a doctor (if you don't have a vital need of a job in the short term!): colleges to become a doctor are public! Free studies (or very very small fee), like in a lot of cases in France.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 04:40:49 am by Sheriff Roland »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2007, 04:30:42 am »

During the recent student strikes in Paris, my friends were shocked to find out that once you get a job there it’s almost impossible to be fired.  They were wondering, how in the world does anyone change jobs, change careers or anyone who isn’t from France and perhaps wants to live there, get a job with laws like these?

Don't you worry, France is also a capitalist country, and don't worry about the "they can't sack their employees" bit: employers have found a way around it, by giving now only short term contracts. Never fear, the turnover of employees is VERY high, and now almost everyone in France is in a precarious situation jobwise. There are more and more poor people (a sign that we are becoming more and more capitalistic?). More and more poor people, but we have the richest CEO's in the world! And how do they make all their dough? By sacking (yes, even in France!) thousands of employees in the big companies, because they want to outsource although they are making TREMENDOUS benefits! Come and live (and work, it is possible) in France and see for yourself that people get sacked by the hundreds and thousands every day.
Sorry, but I do not buy the whole "capitalism is so much better" thing.

Chrissi (penthesilea):I agree that caring more for the people from a social point of view (making sure they can live decently) makes for less violence. Radical capitalism certainly leads to more violence, as it is itself an incredibly violent system, socially speaking.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 04:35:32 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2007, 12:35:18 pm »

OOOhhh, poor Scottish doctor! No, in France you can see a doctor WHEN you want ! And yes, doctors are VERY well paid in France (it's like: private salary, public funding, which can be shocking), and the colleges to become a doctor pick the very best students since there are WAY too many of them (everybody wants to become a doc, it's so well paid!).  The studies are long, but in France you don't have to be rich to become a doctor (if you don't have a vital need of a job in the short term!): colleges to become a doctor are public! Free studies (or very very small fee), like in a lot of cases in France.

Wow, that sounds great!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2007, 12:42:44 pm »
Coming from a capitalist society, you won’t find many people who want a lot of government involved in the daily running of the economy and general living.

I don't know what this means, exactly. Our government is very much involved in the daily running of the economy and general living. And I don't know anybody who doesn't want this. (I did once know a right-wing extreme libertarian woman -- from Texas! -- who opposed government involvement in anything besides the police and military. Not schools, not libraries, nothing else. But notice that even she made those two exceptions.) The argument in this capitalist society tends to be not whether the government should be involved at all, but the nature of its involvement. Some, for example, want it more involved in helping poor people. Others want it more involved in helping businesses. Some want it to be involved in determining who can or can't get married or have abortions. And so on.

Again, the right-wing extreme viewpoint is that not everyone is going to make it, and it is folly to try to make it so.  My more religious right-wing friends even quote Jesus, “There will be poor, always.”

But obviously not all societies have equal proportions of poor people. Even if one agrees with Jesus that some people will always be poor, isn't it better if fewer are? And that varies by society -- sometimes for  reasons like presence or absence of natural resources, sometimes for reasons involving government and social policy.

People aren’t being put in jail because they’re stealing food to feed their kids or clothes to put on their backs.  Poor people see that life can be very very very good if you have a lot of money.  They aren’t happy living in a dump and eking out a living, knowing that they might never rise about their economic status and never have what wealthy people have.  Some poor people decide – choose – the easier option.  Instead of working hard, living within their means, which may not be much, they turn to crime as a quicker way to get what they want.

Sure. And others take on staggering debt -- household debt in the U.S. is at an all-time high. There's nothing intrinsically immoral about taking on debt, of course. I just mention it to show that I agree with you -- television (as you say below) and a tough economy have made people at all but maybe the very highest socioeconomic levels dissatisfied with their standard of living, and they're resorting to desperate measures to improve it.

It's less poor people producing criminals as greed producing criminals.

Yes. Greed is an unfortunate part of human nature. Rich people can be greedy, too, the difference being that they don't have to resort to street crime to satisfy their greed. Notice I say "street" crime, because of course rich people do engage in crime (see Enron, etc.). As well as in activities that are technically legal but harmful -- to the environment, to public health, to the economic security of others.

I don’t recall where I read this, but some older person was quoted as saying ‘We was poor growing up, but we didn’t know we was poor.  We had food, clothing, roof over our heads, life was great and we were proud of our hard work’. He went on to posit that perhaps the advent of television helped fuel greed and the feeling of worthlessness in poor people by opening up the world and exposing poor people to the fact that they were monetarily poor and that having money brought respect and attention and easy living.

Yes, I think this is quite true.

Crimes happen, poverty happens, so someone or something must be responsible, so one must point the finger to the causation in order to ameliorate it.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. Only to ameliorate a problem, you have to look at all its causes. In the case of crime, that means doing more than blaming the individual. You have to look at what caused that individual -- and others like him/her -- to commit the crime.

To view something doesn’t solve anything, agreed, but if classic American society is set up so that people are held responsible for their individual actions, then it does.

Individual people absolutely should be held reponsible for their individual actions. But unless we are content to have ever more crowded prisons or Death Rows -- keeping in mind that for every person in prison there is at least one innocent person who has already been victimized -- it seems smart to look at what causes those individuals to act the way they do.

The problem is, when individuals are not held responsible, because people say their actions stem from society or poverty or some great boogeyman, suddenly you have criminals justifying their individual actions as not their fault.

Again, who ever said anything about not holding individuals responsible? And yes, criminals may try to justify their actions as not their fault -- that's what people charged with crimes tend to say -- but we don't have to agree. I thought I emphasized that yes, of course, individuals are responsible for their own actions. If povery is one of the causes of those actions, it is an explanation, not an excuse. Do you see the distinction I'm making?

I'm not advocating letting criminals off the hook because their behavior has sociological causes. I'm saying we should study those sociological causes, seeking ways to change the patterns and influences, in an effort to keep people from committing crimes in the first place. Not to let them free once they've done so.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2007, 12:52:12 pm »
Don't you worry, France is also a capitalist country, and don't worry about the "they can't sack their employees" bit: employers have found a way around it, by giving now only short term contracts. Never fear, the turnover of employees is VERY high, and now almost everyone in France is in a precarious situation jobwise. There are more and more poor people (a sign that we are becoming more and more capitalistic?). More and more poor people, but we have the richest CEO's in the world! And how do they make all their dough? By sacking (yes, even in France!) thousands of employees in the big companies, because they want to outsource although they are making TREMENDOUS benefits! Come and live (and work, it is possible) in France and see for yourself that people get sacked by the hundreds and thousands every day.
Sorry, but I do not buy the whole "capitalism is so much better" thing.

Chrissi (penthesilea):I agree that caring more for the people from a social point of view (making sure they can live decently) makes for less violence. Radical capitalism certainly leads to more violence, as it is itself an incredibly violent system, socially speaking.

OK, that sounds much more reassuring.  We were like WTF?

Yep, you're right.  The more the employers have control over who works for them, their profit line and let the market and economy drive their hiring and firing practices, the more you have captialism. 

Very basic capitalism.  You work hard to build a company and hire people, then the economy goes down.  You want to keep your business profitable so you can actually make a living off of it, why should you be forced to hold onto business practices if they don't help you achieve your goal?

Forcing employers to keep employees when it's not profitable for them to do so negates their freedom to run their business to their benefit.  They are in business to make money after all. 

On the other hand, hiring employees, training them well, then hanging onto them long enough to reach a certain pay level, just to fire them and hire three very young workers who will do the same job for a fraction of the pay or laying off long-term employees just before their retirement because you don't want to pay them a pension and keep your bottom line healthy is a sucky business practice and so far, is mostly legal.

This is why in the US very few people stay with their companies long term any more.  They have no guarantee of a pension;  no guarantee their company is even going to be around long enough to grant them a pension.  So there is no company loyalty anymore.  People jump from job to job, for whoever is going to pay them more, then make as much as they can, while they can.  Companies try desperately to keep employees from going to their competitors by making them sign all kinds of exclusivity/disclosure contracts, which are easily negated by lying or failing to tell your old  employer who your new employer is.

Extreme capitalism sucks, that's why they have to keep passing all these worker protection laws.  But of course, any extreme economy does.  They have to be tempered with all kinds of laws that try to keep the playing field level without trampling on too many freedoms and rights.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2007, 01:21:19 pm »
I don't know what this means, exactly. Our government is very much involved in the daily running of the economy and general living. And I don't know anybody who doesn't want this. (I did once know a right-wing extreme libertarian woman -- from Texas! -- who opposed government involvement in anything besides the police and military. Not schools, not libraries, nothing else. But notice that even she made those two exceptions.) The argument in this capitalist society tends to be not whether the government should be involved at all, but the nature of its involvement. Some, for example, want it more involved in helping poor people. Others want it more involved in helping businesses. Some want it to be involved in determining who can or can't get married or have abortions. And so on.

Depends on the situation and the person is what I've found.  Personally, I certainly don't want the government telling me what to do with my body (abortion/contraceptives/who is 'OK' to marry/have sex with) or what to read or watch (censorship) or what religion is best for me and the country (Christianity), taxation without representation, but I don't mind the government in other places - defense, justice/legal/correction areas, regulation of air/water/soil quality/air traffic, social services, bureacracy in general, so I prefer a combination of a federal/privately run country.  My red-wing friends are adamant about the government NOT taxing them for other people's problems (social services), NOT telling them what they want their kids in school to be taught (secularism), NOT telling them who they can and can't hire, etc.

I don't think some people really know how deep the government is in US society, they just like to pretend it isn't as big as it is.

But obviously not all societies have equal proportions of poor people. Even if one agrees with Jesus that some people will always be poor, isn't it better if fewer are? And that varies by society -- sometimes for  reasons like presence or absence of natural resources, sometimes for reasons involving government and social policy.

Personally I agree with you.  It's always much much better to have a large middle class and less top dogs and less bottom dogs.  The middle class pays the bulk of taxes.  The very wealthy certainly don't pay a lot of taxes compared to their income, since they are not very numerous, and they have lots of tax shelters and other ways of avoiding taxes plus the govt wants to keep them in this country, rather than have them outsource their lucrative investments if the tax burden on them grows too high.  So the middle class - some of whom as you say below - are deeply in debt and just struggling to keep their standard of living - will be dragged down and become the new poor if social service laws are passed in any great number.  You will suddenly have a glut of new poor feeding on those new social services, which will put an even greater tax burden on the remaining, now smaller middle class.  It seems that one must encourage upward mobility in all economic classes rather than social services.

Yes. Greed is an unfortunate part of human nature. Rich people can be greedy, too, the difference being that they don't have to resort to street crime to satisfy their greed. Notice I say "street" crime, because of course rich people do engage in crime (see Enron, etc.). As well as in activities that are technically legal but harmful -- to the environment, to public health, to the economic security of others.

From what I read in college, white collar crimes are more damaging to society than blue-collar ones.  The guy home-invading for money to feed his drug habit is less dangerous than the crooks at Enron or huge polluting companies overall.  So obviously even having a lot of money doesn't free people from greed.  Some people who have a lot of money and make a lot of money, want even more money.

Individual people absolutely should be held reponsible for their individual actions. But unless we are content to have ever more crowded prisons or Death Rows -- keeping in mind that for every person in prison there is at least one innocent person who has already been victimized -- it seems smart to look at what causes those individuals to act the way they do.

Absolutely.  But what if one of those causes is something that people feel is basic to the idea behind this country?  The Almighty Dollar.  Unless we change entirely the mental state that being wealthy is great, being #1 is desirable, winning isn't the best thing, it's the only thing, the guy who dies with the most toys wins type of thinking, the problem of people trying to get ahead at other's expense - at any cost- isn't going to go away.

Capitalism at its most basic is a 'go fuck yourself' system.  Someone profiting at someone else's expense.  We would have to radically change the entire way our country operates and thinks.

Again, who ever said anything about not holding individuals responsible? And yes, criminals may try to justify their actions as not their fault -- that's what people charged with crimes tend to say -- but we don't have to agree. I thought I emphasized that yes, of course, individuals are responsible for their own actions. If povery is one of the causes of those actions, it is an explanation, not an excuse. Do you see the distinction I'm making?

Yes, I do but the rationale is still there.  If it's a cause then the blame will keep getting spread around.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2007, 03:02:43 pm »
Depends on the situation and the person is what I've found.  Personally, I certainly don't want the government telling me what to do with my body (abortion/contraceptives/who is 'OK' to marry/have sex with) or what to read or watch (censorship) or what religion is best for me and the country (Christianity), taxation without representation, but I don't mind the government in other places - defense, justice/legal/correction areas, regulation of air/water/soil quality/air traffic, social services, bureacracy in general, so I prefer a combination of a federal/privately run country.  My red-wing friends are adamant about the government NOT taxing them for other people's problems (social services), NOT telling them what they want their kids in school to be taught (secularism), NOT telling them who they can and can't hire, etc.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

It seems that one must encourage upward mobility in all economic classes rather than social services.

I agree completely. The question is, how do you do that. Sometimes social services can help. Lyndon Johnson's Great Society programs, combined with Civil Rights laws, created a new black middle-class where none had existed before. Head Start has been proven effective. Social programs don't always work, but when they do, they can lead to upward mobility.

Absolutely.  But what if one of those causes is something that people feel is basic to the idea behind this country?  The Almighty Dollar.  Unless we change entirely the mental state that being wealthy is great, being #1 is desirable, winning isn't the best thing, it's the only thing, the guy who dies with the most toys wins type of thinking, the problem of people trying to get ahead at other's expense - at any cost- isn't going to go away.

Capitalism at its most basic is a 'go fuck yourself' system.  Someone profiting at someone else's expense.  We would have to radically change the entire way our country operates and thinks.

Yes, the culture would have to change. But I don't think everybody feels that way now, so it's a matter of the pendulum swinging. Conservatives tend to feel that way more than liberals, but conservatives do not hugely outnumber liberals. I know people who keep signs in their yard saying "I'm willing to pay higher taxes" for better schools, etc.

Yes, I do but the rationale is still there.  If it's a cause then the blame will keep getting spread around.

As it should be, if there is more than one factor. You can't solve a problem by ignoring some of its causes, or pretending they don't exist. But again, people who do the crime still have to do the time.  ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2007, 12:29:19 am »
I agree completely. The question is, how do you do that. Sometimes social services can help. Lyndon Johnson's Great Society programs, combined with Civil Rights laws, created a new black middle-class where none had existed before. Head Start has been proven effective. Social programs don't always work, but when they do, they can lead to upward mobility.

They do work to some extent, but when they fail, it's a very expensive mistake.  How to encourage upward mobility is already in the works, pretty much most everyone believes - despite the fact it isn't really true - that a college education and hard work will lead to a successful life, one that will win you the American Dream.  Ask any kid and they will have been told to consider college.  Higher education does encourage one toward a career, bettering of one's self.  Everyone can tell by now that people with only a high school education have it very difficult.  That being a success in whatever field is the road to the good life.

Yes, the culture would have to change. But I don't think everybody feels that way now, so it's a matter of the pendulum swinging. Conservatives tend to feel that way more than liberals, but conservatives do not hugely outnumber liberals. I know people who keep signs in their yard saying "I'm willing to pay higher taxes" for better schools, etc.

Not everyone feels that way, agree, but I'm willing to lay money down that at least 50% or more of the population believes that competition is great.  That it has made our society very successful, that it is basic and inescapable in any living creature and that it is a key to the success of our very species.  And in a competition, for someone to win, someone else has to lose.

As for those people with signs in their yards, I'd be curious to see what percentage either have children or plan to have children.  They have a vested interest in schools.  It's trying to get the other part of the population interested.

As it should be, if there is more than one factor. You can't solve a problem by ignoring some of its causes, or pretending they don't exist. But again, people who do the crime still have to do the time.  ;D

True, but what I was getting at, is that such claims can blunt the force of the accusation against the perpetrator's crimes.  "Oh, come on, yes, he slaughtered an entire family in their sleep, but what do you expect?  He was acting out, he's been abused since he was a kid, bullied in school, his race/gender/religion/sexual orientation was mocked, he went from job to job, fell in with a bad crowd..." and you will garner sympathy from people for these vicious killers because his jury is made up of relatively normal people who do feel compassion unlike the perpetrator for his victims.

Remember, despite confessing their crimes to a 3rd party, because they were young, cute and told a sad tale, the first jury on the Menendez brothers deadlocked and were unable to reach a verdict.  The jury wasn't trying to decide on their punishment, they were trying to decide if the young men were even responsible for their actions. That's what I'm talking about when I say 'spreading the blame' can blunt the force of accusations.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:09:00 am by delalluvia »