Author Topic: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...  (Read 21252 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 11:46:16 am »
correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Brandon Teena murder take place in Omaha, Nebraska?

I'm not sure about the Omaha part (memory failure), but, yes, it did take place in Nebraska. I read about it in (where else?) The New Yorker long before the film was made.

(I haven't seen the film. In the movie, did they change the setting to Texas?)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 02:01:10 pm »
correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Brandon Teena murder take place in Omaha, Nebraska?

According to Wikipedia it happened in Falls City, Nebraska.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Teena
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 02:04:53 pm »
It's called The Bluest Eyes in Texas, and it was performed by Nina Persson and Nathan Larson.  The movie does have a soundtrack.

Thanks so much!

In fact, probably because of this song, I thought the story of "Boys Don't Cry" had taken place in Texas, when it really happened in Nebraska! That's why I was going on about Texas in my OP. Sorry, forget about it!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 02:06:36 pm »
you have no idea how many people have pooh poohed me when I have expressed fear living here...deep in the heart of the dead woods. Wednesday a young black man was dragged from a SUV because he is dating a white girl...they say he lost his nose, cheek and eye.

:(

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 02:15:01 pm »
you have no idea how many people have pooh poohed me when I have expressed fear living here...deep in the heart of the dead woods. Wednesday a young black man was dragged from a SUV because he is dating a white girl...they say he lost his nose, cheek and eye.

Do you mean in TEXAS???
Louise said it, it actually took place in Nebraska, but the song "the bluest eyes in Texas" made me think the story occurred there.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

injest

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 02:18:14 pm »
Do you mean in TEXAS???
Louise said it, it actually took place in Nebraska, but the song "the bluest eyes in Texas" made me think the story occurred there.

yes I live in Texas....but I really was talking about living in one of these small enclaves out here in the middle of the country where the bigots inbreed...

injest

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 02:25:45 pm »
sometimes it feels like we are on two different planets. not just a hour or two away. The law out here depends on who you know and how long you have lived here.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 03:42:12 pm »
yes I live in Texas....but I really was talking about living in one of these small enclaves out here in the middle of the country where the bigots inbreed...

I think there are still some "white-only" communities in the South to date, am I right Jess?
I won't be entirely surprised either.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2007, 03:51:25 pm »
I think there are still some "white-only" communities in the South to date, am I right Jess?

In Virginia I do not know of any, perhaps is the mountains in SW part of the state.
I have heard of places in Arkansas that are all white, a friend of mine is from one of them.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 07:23:55 pm »

well the signs outside of town are gone....the attitude remains. and that goes for gays too...