Author Topic: Marcel Proust Questionnaire  (Read 15501 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Marcel Proust Questionnaire
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

Marcel Proust
1871-1922

Hmmm, does that face look familiar? Jake, are you related to Marcel?

In Andre Maurois’ book, “The Quest for Proust,“  about the famous gay French writer Marcel Proust, he appends a questionnaire, which Proust completed at the age of 20.

Maurois states that, “(Proust’s responses to the questionnaire) reveals, as yet, not hardness or bitterness, but spiritual anguish, latent remorse, an insatiable craving for tenderness, and a desire to be swept off his feet by the strength of his instincts.”

The original questions are listed below, with Proust’s responses in purple. To respond, copy the following into a new post and replace the purple text with your own responses.

Enjoy!

1. What is your most marked characteristic?  A craving to be loved, or, to be more precise, to be caressed and spoiled rather than to be admired.

2. What is the quality you most like in a man? Feminine charm.

3. What is the quality you most like in a woman? A man’s virtues, and frankness in friendship.

4. What do you most value in your friends? Tenderness - provided they possess a physical charm which makes their tenderness worth having.

5. What is your principal defect? Lack of understanding; weakness of will.

6. What is your favourite occupation? Loving.

7. What is your dream of happiness? Not, I fear, a very elevated one. I really haven’t the courage to say what it is, and, if I did, I should probably destroy it by the mere fact of putting it into words.

8. What, to your mind, would be the greatest of misfortunes? Never to have known my mother or my grandmother.

9. What would you like to be? Myself - as those whom I admire would like me to be.

10. In what country would you like to live? One where certain things that I want would be realised - and where feelings of tenderness would always be reciprocated. (Proust underlined the last half of this sentence.)

11. What is your favourite colour? Beauty lies not in colours but in their harmony.

12. What is your favourite flower? Hers - but, apart from that - all.

13. What is your favourite bird? The swallow.

14. Who are your favourite prose writers? At the moment, Anatole France and Pierre Loti.

15. Who are your favourite poets? Baudelaire and Alfred de Vigney.

16. Who is your favourite hero of fiction? Hamlet.

17. Who are your favourite heroines of fiction? Phedre (crossed out by Proust) Berenice.

18. Who are your favourite composers? Beethoven, Wagner, Shuhmann (sic).

19. Who are your favourite painters? Leonardo da Vinci, Rembrandt.

20. Who are your heroes in real life? Monsieur Darlu, Monsieur Boutroux.

21. Who are your favourite heroines of history? Cleopatra.

22. What are your favourite names? I have only one at a time.

23. What is it that you most dislike? My own worst qualities.

24. What historical character  do you most despise? I am not sufficiently educated to say.

25. What event in military history do you most admire? My own enlistment as a volunteer!

26. What reform do you most admire? (Proust has left this question unanswered)

27. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Will-power and irresistible charm.

28. How would you like to die? A better man than I am, and much loved.

29. What is your present state of mind? Annoyance at having had to think about myself in order to answer these questions.

30. To what faults do you feel most indulgent? Those that I understand. (“Understand” is underlined by Proust)

31. What is your motto? I prefer not to say - for fear it might bring me ill-luck.

c. “Les Confidances de salon,” published by Lesueur-Damby, 19 rue de Bourgogne, Paris. Property of Mr Edward Waterman.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 01:04:17 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Marcel Proust Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 12:47:56 am »
Here are my responses:

1. What is your most marked characteristic?  Introversion.

2. What is the quality you most like in a man? Masculinity.

3. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Femininity.

4. What do you most value in your friends? Unconditional love.

5. What is your principal defect? My introversion. And also setting standards too high for my friends to live up to.

6. What is your favourite occupation? Dreaming.

7. What is your dream of happiness? To live a long, happy, healthy, prosperous life.

8. What, to your mind, would be the greatest of misfortunes? Never to have experienced life as I am presently experiencing it in this incarnation.

9. What would you like to be? A famous painter.

10. In what country would you like to live? Australia.

11. What is your favourite colour? Purple.

12. What is your favourite flower? Gardenia.

13. What is your favourite bird? All the Birds of Paradise.

14. Who are your favourite prose writers? Mary Renault. Annie Proulx. Louise Hay

15. Who are your favourite poets? Kahlil Gibran.

16. Who is your favourite hero of fiction? Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, equally.

17. Who are your favourite heroines of fiction? Mimi and Floria Tosca from the Puccini operas “La Boheme” and “Tosca,” respectively.

18. Who are your favourite composers? Peter Tchaikovsky and Giacomo Puccini.

19. Who are your favourite painters? Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (known as Caravaggio) and Wassily Kandinsky.

20. Who are your heroes in real life? George Chamberlain.

21. Who are your favourite heroines of history? Queen Dido.

22. What are your favourite names? Varies.

23. What is it that you most dislike? Insincerity.

24. What historical character  do you most despise? Tomas de Torquemada, Grand Inquisitor of Spain.

25. What event in military history do you most admire? Alexander the Great’s conquest of Persia.

26. What reform do you most admire? Gay Liberation.

27. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Inspired artistic genius.

28. How would you like to die? At peace, in my sleep, with no regrets.

29. What is your present state of mind? Relaxed.

30 To what faults do you feel most indulgent? I am overly judgmental of others.

31. What is your motto? “It is better to dream one’s life, than to live it.”
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 01:43:06 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 01:43:01 am »
1. What is your most marked characteristic? insecurity and self doubt

2. What is the quality you most like in a man? confidence.

3. What is the quality you most like in a woman? kindness

4. What do you most value in your friends? understanding.

5. What is your principal defect? lack of will power

6. What is your favourite occupation? dreaming

7. What is your dream of happiness? home with ALL my loved ones near

8. What, to your mind, would be the greatest of misfortunes? to die unremembered

9. What would you like to be? happy

10. In what country would you like to live? USA

11. What is your favourite colour? Red

12. What is your favourite flower? Daffodila

13. What is your favourite bird? cockatiel.

14. Who are your favourite prose writers? Mary Renault

15. Who are your favourite poets? don't have one

16. Who is your favourite hero of fiction? Bagoas

17. Who are your favourite heroines of fiction? Brandy

18. Who are your favourite composers? Mahler!!! (if you had asked me six months ago I would have answered 'I don't have one' THANKS ANDREW!!! LOL!!)

19. Who are your favourite painters? Michelangelo

20. Who are your heroes in real life? Garry and Don.

21. Who are your favourite heroines of history? Olympias

22. What are your favourite names? Audrey

23. What is it that you most dislike? cruel gossipy people

24. What historical character  do you most despise? Ronald Reagan

25. What event in military history do you most admire? LOL...I am a Texan...HAVE to say the Alamo!!

26. What reform do you most admire? women's rights

27. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Will-power and irresistible charm.

28. How would you like to die? painlessly

29. What is your present state of mind? tired and wondering why I am still up

30. To what faults do you feel most indulgent? eating chocolate to make myself happy!!

31. What is your motto? One foot in front of the other.....one foot in front of the other....

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 01:48:18 am »

1. What is your most marked characteristic?  Pragmatism 

2. What is the quality you most like in a man?  The ability and desire to communicate.

3. What is the quality you most like in a woman?   Self-respect

4. What do you most value in your friends?  Honesty.

5. What is your principal defect?  Defect in whose eyes?

6. What is your favourite occupation?  Learning.

7. What is your dream of happiness?  Freedom from want and fear

8. What, to your mind, would be the greatest of misfortunes?  Never to realize any hopes or dreams.

9. What would you like to be?  Healthy and wealthy

10. In what country would you like to live? A place where my freedom could not be hampered.

11. What is your favourite colour?  No real favorites.

12. What is your favourite flower?  Too many to mention

13. What is your favourite bird?  Don't know, haven't see them all.

14. Who are your favourite prose writers?  Too many to mention.

15. Who are your favourite poets?  I have favorite poems, rather than favorite poets.

16. Who is your favourite hero/ine of fiction?  Too many to mention

18. Who are your favourite composers?  I have favorite compositions rather than favorite composers

19. Who are your favourite painters?   Ditto

20. Who are your heroes in real life?  I don't have any real life heroes.  They are too human and thus eventually disappoint.  All my heroes are fictional.

21. Who are your favourite heroines of history?  Too many to mention.

22. What are your favourite names?  Of what?

23. What is it that you most dislike?  Willful blind arrogance and ignorance.

24. What historical character do you most despise?  Don't know enough of them to say.

25. What event in military history do you most admire?  Ditto

26. What reform do you most admire?  Women's rights

27. What natural gift would you most like to possess?  Proficiency in a professional field of interest

28. How would you like to die?   Peacefully, sound in mind and body

29. What is your present state of mind?  Contentment with a touch of excited anticipation (was planning my Paris trip right before taking this poll).

30. To what faults do you feel most indulgent?   Those that are difficult to overcome

31. What is your motto?  Don't have one
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 01:55:24 am by delalluvia »

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 01:58:32 am »
Mine Too  ;) :

1. What is your most marked characteristic?  responsibility

2. What is the quality you most like in a man? Integrity with humor

3. What is the quality you most like in a woman? loyalty

4. What do you most value in your friends? totally non-judgemental acceptance of all my quirks

5. What is your principal defect? My ranging shyness and personal insecurity.  I hold myself to a much higher standard than I do those around me so consequently I am always setting myself up for failure in my own eyes

6. What is your favourite occupation? Reading

7. What is your dream of happiness? To live a happy life, surrounded by those I love and to be remembered with love when I am gone.

8. What, to your mind, would be the greatest of misfortunes? Never to have loved or been loved by another human being.

9. What would you like to be? A parent.

10. In what country would you like to live? I am happy in America, but if I needed to chose somewhere else I think I would choose to give Ireland a try.

11. What is your favourite colour? Green.

12. What is your favourite flower? Lilacs.

13. What is your favourite bird? Peacock.

14. Who are your favourite prose writers? Nora Roberts. Annie Proulx. Pearl S Buck and Amy Tan

15. Who are your favourite poets? William Butler Yeats, T. S. Eliot, E. E. Cummings,Edgar Allan Poe,
Emily Dickinson, James Thurber, Edna St Vincent Milay, Maya Angelou, Robert Frost.

16. Who is your favourite hero of fiction? Sidney Carlton in Charles Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities"....."'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.'"

17. Who are your favourite heroines of fiction? I'm a sucker for all those fairy tales I cut my teeth on so I'd have to say, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, Rapunzel.

18. Who are your favourite composers? Beethoven, Mozart, Berlioz, Rachmanioff, Greig, Mussourgsky

19. Who are your favourite painters? Johannes Vermeer, Monet, Mary Cassatt and Jeffrey Spicer.

20. Who are your heroes in real life? firefighters and our military and all other service people like them who put themselves on the line for us everyday.

21. Who are your favourite heroines of history? Queen Elizabeth the First, Elizabeth's reign was one of the more constructive periods in English history: literature bloomed through the works of Spenser, Marlowe and Shakespeare; Francis Drake and Walter Raleigh were instrumental in expanding English influence in the New World; Elizabeth's religious compromise laid many fears to rest and de-fused a potential powder keg.  AND Eleanor Roosevelt, her integrity, her graciousness, and her sincerity of purpose endeared her personally to many--from heads of state to servicemen she visited abroad during World War II. Within a year of the Presidents death in 1945, she began her service as American spokesman in the United Nations. She continued a vigorous career until her strength began to wane in 1962.

22. What are your favourite names? Marie, Justin, Abra, Aubrey, Kyle,.

23. What is it that you most dislike? Meanness in all it's forms.

24. What historical character  do you most despise? Hitler, Ida Amin, Pol Pot, Papa Doc and Baby Doc, Mohamed Siad Barre, Sukharno, Duvalier, & Pinochet. and all the other Bloody Dictators who try to climb to power at the expense of and on the backs of their people

25. What event in military history do you most admire? The defeat of Adolph Hitler.

26. What reform do you most admire? The Emancipation of Women and Children, American Civil Rights and Gay Liberation all of which have the same precepts at their heart just one social group at a time.

27. What natural gift would you most like to possess? musical talent, I can't sing worth a darn and can't play a note.

28. How would you like to die? At peace, pain-free, in my sleep, in my own home a very old age.

29. What is your present state of mind? Relaxed.

30 To what faults do you feel most indulgent? I am often impatient and do not suffer fools gladly.Also I can't type worth a penny

31. What is your motto? “It's not rocket science, don't make it harder than it needs to be.”

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:02:44 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 03:11:45 am »

Marcel Proust
1871-1922

Hmmm, does that face look familiar? Jake, are you related to Marcel?

Marcel and Jake do look a bit alike!  :D

Marcel was a cutie!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 03:19:13 am »
For those of you who don't want to see other people's answers beforehand, here is a blank copy of the questionnaire.

Just copy the questionnaire below and paste it into your reply box!  :D

1. What is your most marked characteristic?

2. What is the quality you most like in a man?

3. What is the quality you most like in a woman?

4. What do you most value in your friends?

5. What is your principal defect?

6. What is your favourite occupation?

7. What is your dream of happiness?

8. What, to your mind, would be the greatest of misfortunes?

9. What would you like to be?

10. In what country would you like to live?

11. What is your favourite colour?

12. What is your favourite flower?

13. What is your favourite bird?

14. Who are your favourite prose writers?

15. Who are your favourite poets?

16. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?

17. Who are your favourite heroines of fiction?

18. Who are your favourite composers?

19. Who are your favourite painters?

20. Who are your heroes in real life?

21. Who are your favourite heroines of history?

22. What are your favourite names?

23. What is it that you most dislike?

24. What historical character  do you most despise?

25. What event in military history do you most admire?

26. What reform do you most admire?

27. What natural gift would you most like to possess?

28. How would you like to die?

29. What is your present state of mind?

30. To what faults do you feel most indulgent?

31. What is your motto?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 04:11:30 am »
1. What is your most marked characteristic? My limitless energy. I have a very hard time sitting still!

2. What is the quality you most like in a man? Chivalry and gentle strength

3. What is the quality you most like in a woman? confidence

4. What do you most value in your friends? Their ability to put up with me no matter what!

5. What is your principal defect?  Way to many to mention! My clumsiness is probably my principal defect. Or is he talking about PHYSICAL defects? I don't like my ears. I don't like the shape.

6. What is your favourite occupation? Physician. It's very hard work, but I think it would be very satisfying too, because I HATE seeing people sick or in pain. I think it would be nice if I could actually DO something for them.

7. What is your dream of happiness? I know it sounds corny, but my idea of hapiness is simply finding someone I love and who loves me, and settling down with him for the rest of my life.

8. What, to your mind, would be the greatest of misfortunes? A world completely devoid of love and hope.

9. What would you like to be? In general? A decent human being who, at the very least, brings joy and happiness to others.

10. In what country would you like to live? Wow! There's so many of them! Probably Denmark. I saw something on CNN last month which said Danes are the happiest people in the world. It's also a very beautiful country. I also love the Bahamas, and the Netherlands. Despite some of its shortcomings, the US is a very nice country too!

11. What is your favourite colour? Purple! I also love blue.

12. What is your favourite flower? Magnolia. I love my magnolia tree in my yard. Orchids are nice too.

13. What is your favourite bird? The Cardinal. They are so cute. They are also the state bird of Indiana!

14. Who are your favourite prose writers? Annie Proulx of course!

15. Who are your favourite poets? Edgar Allen Poe, Rupert Brooke, Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost, Henry Longfellow, Charles Baudelaire

16. Who is your favourite hero of fiction? Jack and Ennis! Okay, too easy. Right now my favorite hero is probably Harry Potter. I'm a REALLY big Harry Potter fan!

17. Who are your favourite heroines of fiction? Hermoine from "Harry Potter". Also, Charlotte from "Charlotte's Web". She's an animal (a spider) but she's a female spider. Does she count?

18. Who are your favourite composers? J. S. Bach, Mozart, Corelli, Vivaldi, Haydn, Handel, etc...

19. Who are your favourite painters? Monet, Frans Hals, Jan Vermeer, Rembrandt, Marc Chagall

20. Who are your heroes in real life? Anyone who is not afraid to show others love and affection. Today's world hungers for it, I think.

21. Who are your favourite heroines of history? Susan B. Anthony, Harriet Tubman, Anna Shaw, Anne Frank, Princess Diana

22. What are your favourite names? Michael, Dennis, Cody, Christopher, Adam, Amy, Lisa, Tracy

23. What is it that you most dislike? Wars, killing and hatred

24. What historical character  do you most despise? Adolph Hitler

25. What event in military history do you most admire? The end of the American Civil War

26. What reform do you most admire? The Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's

27. What natural gift would you most like to possess? I would love to be able to paint or draw.

28. How would you like to die? Quietly and painlessly in my sleep.

29. What is your present state of mind? I'm in a very good mood!

30. To what faults do you feel most indulgent? I'm not sure I understand this question. What does he mean by this? I hate it when I do something embarrassing or stupid in public (which happens A LOT!) haha

31. What is your motto? Keep them guessing, because everyone loves a mystery! Also, live every day to the fullest.

Wow Kerry! That was HARD!!!  ???  :P   :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 08:03:46 am »
14. Who are your favourite prose writers? Mary Renault

Excellent choice, Jess! I concur!  ;)  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 08:10:58 am »
22. What are your favourite names?  Of what?

That's a very valid question, Ms D. Until I read your response, I thought it related to people's names, but now I'm not sure!  ???   :-\   ;)   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν