Author Topic: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie  (Read 165677 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2008, 08:05:38 pm »

maybe aguirre was sneakin' in for a closer look while the boys were busy? ;D

wow guys.  i never noticed this stuff before, and i thought i'd watched the movie a million times.  maybe i was in denial and didn't want to see mistakes.
i'm almost scared to watch the movie again now! :o
lol

let not your heart be troubled,

the film is still the masterpiece that it always has been. just about every movie has a continuity error or two and costume dramas always get hit with verisimilitude errors. I am a Hitchcock nut, and my fav Hitch movie of all time, and up there in the top 5 of all my fav films ,is "Vertigo". In Veritigo there is a continuity error that always make Hitch nuts like me LOL! These errors in BM just make me love the movie all the more, it has flaws just like I do!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2008, 08:07:27 pm »
not enough space in the packs carried by the mules to haul up enough food for those dogs and some feed for the horses too ! And where did Ennis keep the dog food up in the pastures?  I  never saw them feed the dogs. I'm just worrying about the dogs, that is all  ???

Maybe it was the starving dogs that killed that sheep Ennis found after TS1.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2008, 08:18:54 pm »
I don't understand this at all.  I am familiar with three sects of Protestantism, and all of them have in common an aversion to 'Jesus objects.'  My mother's family used to deride the Catholics who moved into our neighborhood for their 'idolatry', and images of Jesus and Mary, because it was against their sect's precepts to wear crosses or to have images of Jesus or Mary, even on and in  their churches.  The religious objects in the Twist home are what I have seen in the PRotestant homes among which I grew up: a simple biblical homily on the wall such as 'Bless this house' and a simple unadored cross.  That is what my grandparents had in their house, or a Desiderata, and one simple cross.

And, having had family who were old style settlers, their farmhouses were as unadorned and stark as the one pictured in the Twist household.  I don't know how you can chalk up to 'production mistakes' items that to me, belonging to a long line of Protestant believers, seems to match pretty exactly.

A 'mistake' is something like Jack straightening up from a shot where he places a piece of wood, and in the next shot, the piece of wood he has not touched has magically vanished, which I noticed today... or the hood of the truck being ajar in the first shot and being firmly closed in the next shot with no one closing it.

Well Louise, it appears that you haven't been in many Southern Baptist or Pentecostal homes in the rural areas of the red states recently . SB homes and Pentecostal homes of the devout, especially in rural areas are chock full of religious objects, usually with Bible verses stitched, painted or embossed on. Plaques, wall hangings, "Last Supper" pictures, "Gethsemane Garden" pictures, and praying hands statuettes out the wazoo, not to mention the ubiquitous pine box that the Bible is kept in on the coffee table.

3 Protestant "sects"? Sorry, but you have me puzzled now. There are dozens and dozens or Protestant denominations in the US. In my home town (pop < 3000) back in the 1960's there were 10 protestant churches but no Roman Catholic churches at all. And also the Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm not sure where they fit in on the denomination flow charts.  

I think that it really is odd that a person of such pronounced religiosity as Mother Twist would not decorate with a stronger religious theme in her house, except for the one Jesus picture we see in the kitchen.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2008, 08:21:25 pm »
Regarding the credits listing so-called "extras", I believe early versions of the script had speaking scenes for some of them; specifically the waitress in Signal and the assailants.  I don't know the rules about their inclusion in credits if their scenes eventually get cut. 

Interestingly, some early sources used to list the cast including Valerie Planche, as if she were some major star; when in actuality, the actors were listed in order of appearance (or non-appearance as the case may be).

Tatoo girl really does stand out.  Very odd choice of casting.

the credits puzzled me and I wondered if something interesting may have been cut, I mean as obsessive as some of us Brokies get, we'd love to see some of the deleted scenes especially if they had dialog from these "missing" actors.

glad you noticed the tatoo girl too!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2008, 08:25:17 pm »
Maybe it was the starving dogs that killed that sheep Ennis found after TS1.

interesting point ! I never considered that !

I hadn't considered that because the dog was keeping watch and whining over the gutted ewe when Ennis rode up. maybe the dog really was protecting her kill? probably if the dogs were hungry enough to kill a sheep, which is what Jack wanted to do, they might turn feral after the kill and just go off with the coyotes and stalk game on Brokeback.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2008, 08:49:15 pm »
I wonder if that means something?

I think that it really is odd that a person of such pronounced religiosity as Mother Twist would not decorate with a stronger religious theme in her house, except for the one Jesus picture we see in the kitchen. 

Like many things? Abused... but not nescessary so! At my lover's house, there was only the bible, but I found it in a drawer in my  own bedroom where he kept it, and he was mennonite! Rare are religious imagery in some protestant homes... or in most, according to my experiences. Protestants, let us not forget, protested against the many catholic imageries, remember?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2008, 09:16:53 pm »
I wonder if that means something?

Like many things? Abused... but not nescessary so! At my lover's house, there was only the bible, but I found it in a drawer in my  own bedroom where he kept it, and he was mennonite! Rare are religious imagery in some protestant homes... or in most, according to my experiences. Protestants, let us not forget, protested against the many catholic imageries, remember?

Hugs!

Religious practices change and evolve over time. On this topic of the unusual decor in the Twist home I am not speaking theoretically or historically but from my own experiences growing up in an overwhelmingly fundamentalist protestant community in a red state rural area.

Instead of stereotyping all Protestants based upon the 16th century origins of one of the Protestant denominations, you might learn more about the Twist family by looking outside a history book and instead into the current practices of people who live today and have religious practices that are similar to Mother Twist.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2008, 10:03:25 pm »
glad you noticed the tatoo girl too!

Many Brokies have said they think the tattoo girl is too conspicuous -- especially as one of only a handful of people on the dance floor -- to be just some randomly chosen extra. In other discussions, we've tried to figure out whether Ang Lee meant to say something by casting her and, if so, what.

My favorite explanation is that she emphasizes Ennis' paranoia. Nobody is paying much attention to this unusually tattooed woman (never mind that in a real life small-town tavern, even today, she'd probably draw some glances). And if they aren't concerned about her, maybe Ennis is overreacting to his fear that people on the pavement "know" or even give a damn what he's up to. After all, nine out of 10 of them don't even know where he lives!

Other theories: 1) Like Ennis, metaphorically, she is wearing a costume or "disguise." 23) Her presence indicates it's kind of a dive bar. 3) She shows that times are a-changing, and people are becoming more accepting of differences.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You suggest:
you might learn more about the Twist family by looking outside a history book and instead into the current practices of people who live today and have religious practices that are similar to Mother Twist.  

Brokeplex, to that I am happy about your suggestion! You do NOT know that I did and still do that? I did and do!!

My past lover W. had no cross... neither did and does to-day his aunt, his mother, his brother... where I went to visit with him them nearly weekly for many years those places as they were his relatives!! He was a modern-day mennonite with a car and with his house and property on his parents farm now a city area that came to it, unfortunately!

I also went into other (dozens and dozens) mennoite homes who are old style with no electricity and with horses only - no cars... and I did and do sell and purchase or buy with them too, plus with their businesses.

Plus, my gay lovers pals are all  different stylesprotestants, and I never saw any cross in any of their homes nor apartments!

I will not talk about jews, muslims, etc., as other religions and/or non-religion person(s) wherein I have been in their homes... for now - since I do  not have that talent to do so like you and other here on Bettermost do, in order to relate that to the BM film!! But I wish I could and would!!

May I assure you that my past lover W., that his mother is Mrs. Twist!! So is his aunt Gladys! Where the decorations are very similar to that of the BM film, but no cross!! Most decorations are very old or antique (as I view them to-day since I am also an antique collector and dealer with 50 years experience)!

And you do NOT know that many of my items are in numerous movies, two that I know are in the Chicago movie!!

The impact of decoration, did the director know of that cross? Was there a cross as suggested on this thread? Since that director is from another culture with NO cross likely, maybe he is saying something with one cross in the Mrs. Twist home? Maybe Mrs. was NOT just a protesttant, as she could have married INTO a protestant culture and HAD to live in that??

May I pose that question?

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2008, 10:37:33 pm »
that she is accepted in the community although she is different because people KNOW her and that mitigates the stigma of being different??

I have found that if you get to know someone it is a little harder to hate them. (although there are always exceptions to the rule.  ) 

Like ineedcrayons, injest said beautifully!

Some tatoos I now accept and NEVER used to do so!! I told my past lover that a 3rd tatoo, would mean that he would NOT be my lover-partner/pal anymore!! I was shocked at his first tatoo on his arm!

So, we change... and we accept to a certain degree... and we change our minds on other things which can educate us!!

But why that issue in the BM movie: for sex and violence?? It projects that Jack maybe will be murdered or die?

Hugs!

Hugs!