Author Topic: Quicksilver  (Read 24646 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Quicksilver
« on: April 19, 2006, 03:16:17 pm »
My stories and drabbles mostly come (so far) from some of 'them things we don't know' that I got to wondering about....
The stories are mostly canon so far, and connect into one large story that's eventually going AU.

"Quicksilver" is about Jack's life away from Ennis after their first summer. First nine chapters are posted.
"Dead Horse Road" is a short (one-shot) prequel about Ennis and his parents, very sad, no Jack. 
"Wind Rivers" is my take on their last camping trip before the divorce.  It's longer (still a one-shot), there's a lot of joy along with shadows, there's whiskey and springs, there're birds (blue and otherwise), there's lots and lots of Jack.

http://jtsbar.livejournal.com/

I sure appreciate your comments. 
Fern
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:06:59 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Had some questions, wrote some stories...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 08:36:20 pm »
Thanks Fernly!

i can't wait to get home to read it.

O0

Heathen

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:49:33 am »
Fernly-

Just finished The Wind Rivers and am so emotional I can barely understand it. I didn't know whether to PM you or just spill-as you see, I am opting to just spill it. I have been feeling so lonesome for Brokeback Mountain, or more correctly, what it has been for me these past few months. Everyday is a challenge not to breakdown worrying about my father and how much longer I'll have him. The movie gave me something beautiful to focus on but also the sadness gave me an outlet for feelings so intense I worry what would have happened to me had I not been able to express them.  The theater experience was a "get away" that the DVD can't replace and now that is gone. When we started to lose Chez Tremblay-a haven I had just discovered-I was disconsolate. The family and shared experience just gave me one more life preserver in a time when I needed all help I could get. Then joy of joys Phillip took us in and my joy was restored. BUT, the move kinda changed the tone of the board-everyone was relieved and excited but connection to the movie sorted dissipated. I know that was bound to happen but I just felt like I was losing everything and everyone that had meant so much over the past few months.

Then, here you come with these stories and once again I am back on Brokeback, able to escape my worries for just another few moments.

Thank you so much-I just can't tell you... :-*

O0

Heathen

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:49:59 am »
RouxB,
I know what you mean about "feeling lonesome for Brokeback Mountain...what it has been for me these past few months."  I wrote these stories in part to hold on to that world for a while longer, and am moved beyond the expressing of it that they have in any way been a momentary distraction from the burdens you're carrying. Thank you so very much for what you wrote.
Fern

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 12:21:26 am »
Fernly,

"Dead Horse Road" is powerful. And, sadly, all too plausible, knowing what we know of Ennis's father.

Great piece of story-telling. Thanks for pointing it out/posting the link!

Jeff

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Dead Horse Road and The Wind Rivers
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 10:44:49 pm »
Fernly,

I just came back from reading "The Wind Rivers" over at fanfiction.net. Absolutely beautiful! I left you a review.

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "Quicksilver", "Dead Horse Road", and "The Wind Rivers"
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:19:25 pm »
Jeff,
These are long overdue public thanks for your ideas and support. :-* 

Fern
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:04:11 am by fernly »

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 07:12:06 pm »
Hi, Fernly - I just read Dead Horse Road and really enjoyed it, even the crying. It was good of you to tackle something that others haven't. (At least I don't think they have - I haven't been reading the fan fiction for too long but now that's all I am reading.) I hope that Ennis' life wasn't that hurtful but it certainly is possible, and I think a lot of us have some pretty negative thoughts about his father because of the whole Earl thing.

I haven't figured out how to read several of these at a time and not get them mixed up - I went for Dead Horse Road because it was short - but I am putting your others on my list of must reads.

Thanks.

Never enough time, never enough.  ;)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 08:59:33 pm »
Hey Tam,
You're welcome, and thank you very much for your kind comments.
(People keep tellin' me about the cryin', but really, I'm not settin' out to cause that on purpose.)
For now, "Wind Rivers" is a happier story...and one of these days,(actually months), I'll be writing flat-out joyous, and that will be on purpose.
Fern

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 09:26:16 pm »
As far as the crying goes, I think it comes with the territory, don't you? For me the saddest day will come when I can read about, or think about, Jack and Ennis and not cry any more. They've touched something in me that has been buried pretty deeply for a while, and I'm glad to be getting it back again. Your story is just so sad in that Ennis' mother knew that she was losing him and that the biggest gift she could give to her son was to get his father out of the way. And then she dies holding "Ennis" in her arms...  :'(