Author Topic: Quicksilver  (Read 24657 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "Quicksilver", "Dead Horse Road", and "The Wind Rivers"
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 06:57:50 pm »
Ruby recommended your story. I just finished "Dead Horse Road" and am totally blown away by the powerful writing.  The story fits perfectly into the structure of Brokeback Mountain, and you did a fantastic job explaining how Ennis was who he was. Have to say that it's not a good thing that I read it while still at work.   :'(

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 04:24:52 pm »
Jenny,
Thank you so much for your kind words about my story. You made my day!

Ruby,
Thank you so much for recommending it.

Fern
p.s. I sure enjoyed meeting you both at the Castro last month.  :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:59:03 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 10:08:22 am »
You're the one who wrote "Dead Horse Road"! That was one of the first pieces I read over on fanfiction.net. 

Very good, believable description of the tension in a household ruled by an abusive parent: the spouse constantly watchful, trying to deflect or defuse the explosion this time, all the kids impacted in one way or another, and the immediate death threats and violence when the wife says she's going to leave. And the description of Ennis in the very first paragraph is quite consistent with the hunched-over, closed-in body language of the film in particular.

This is one of the plot elements just mentioned in both the movie and the original story that fanfiction writers haven't explored enough: how there could be "one curve in the road and they miss it." 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 10:10:36 am by Marge_Innavera »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 10:38:01 am »
Lynn, I just read "Dead Horse Road" and "Quicksilver."  As Jeff said, both are powerful stuff.  I love how you made Ennis' mom like Jack in her hatred of the cold - was that by accident or design?  I'm thinking the latter.  And I agree that you understand what it is to live in an abusive household.  My stepmother did for many years before she finally got out in one piece and thankfully met my father who wouldn't hurt a fly, and she's told me many stories of trying to keep the peace and protect her children that are eerily similar.  I'm looking forward to "The Wind Rivers," but judging from Ruby's response to it, think I'd better wait until I'm somewhere where uncontrollable weeping isn't frowned upon to read it.
No more beans!

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 05:02:51 pm »
Barb and Marge,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m very glad you both found “Dead Horse” believable since I wanted to do right by Ennis’ mother.
We know how Ennis and Jack can possess us. Ennis’ mother did the same thing, when she ‘showed up’ to answer the question I’d wondered about from my first time reading “Brokeback Mountain”.
And I felt that this answer was consistent with what we know from the story and film about what her son carried, and how those burdens – not just the memory of that horrific walk with his father’s hand pressing on his neck, but all the days before and after with a father who could commit such acts – would affect Ennis’ choices and reactions even after his father was dead.

Marge, I saw on the new moderators thread that you’re writing. I do hope you post a link soon.

Barb, yes, the detail about her hating the cold was by design, if I can call it that. Writing this story felt more like listening and observing than deliberately creating.
I’m so happy that your step-mother made a new life with your father. It’s wonderful to hear a real-life story that ends happily.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Update - "Quicksilver", "Dead Horse Road", and "The Wind Rivers"
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 10:13:54 pm »
bumping for the new chapter

Rachel

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 06:55:21 pm »
In spite of the ever-imporving fanfiction (practice makes perfect),

You are still the best of all. Just re-read "The Wind Rivers." I took "Dead Horse Road" to Chicago with me, thinking I might get a chance to read it aloud (I had no way of asking you---and how fruitless would THAT have been!)

You're never going to forgive me?

This will be my only post.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 03:26:47 am by Rachel »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:04 pm »
Bump, because Fernly's stories are so good they should be required reading for any new "Brokies."  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 07:34:44 pm »
Bump.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Adiabatic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 10:58:21 pm »
I’ll second your bump, Jeff!

fernly’s stories are absorbing and easy-to-read.  That’s not to say that they’re simplistic—in fact, they’re rich with detail in the characters’ feelings, their surroundings. But there’s an unassuming honesty that envelops you and makes you feel as if you’re actually there, watching and listening. There’s warmth and love interwoven with the troubles and heartache.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:23:32 pm by adiabatic »