Author Topic: Female Sexuality in BBM  (Read 23141 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Female Sexuality in BBM
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 09:44:13 am »
I agree with what you say, Amanda. When Alma has an interchange with Monroe right after the interchange with Ennis, she and we are meant to see the contrast between the brutish Ennis and the sympathetic Monroe. I don't think Monroe was considered to be much of a catch in Wyo. even though he was a successful merchant.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2007, 12:59:17 pm »
Monroe's fondness for Alma is palpable in the grocery store scene, but I don't think the preoccupied Alma has caught on to that yet. Her look of horror when the jars tumble and regret when Monroe surveys them indicates that he is like any boss to her at that point.

The character of Monroe is played to be pretty transparent and straightforward — a stand-up (if comparatively boring) guy. And you can tell from his 'delayed' reaction to the fight at Thanksgiving that he's a little bit afraid of Ennis. So if he & Alma had had anything going on by the grocery store scene, it would have shown in the way Monroe greets Ennis: either a little guilty or a bit afraid.

[A wife/mother working outside the home] could even be considered faintly shameful . . .  an indication that the husband wasn't capable of supporting the family himself.

I think this is part of what vexes Ennis, especially in the 'bucket kick' scene.  Again, I don't think Alma has anything going on with Monroe here — she's certainly not 'gussied up' in any way, nor particularly giddy about going to work.  This is shown right after a J + E fishing trip, indicating to me that her resentment of this (channeled into passive-aggressive behavior relating to finances) is fraying the marriage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:35:10 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 07:13:08 am »
....I always thought that the look he and Alma exchange over the broken jars is meant to feel significant.  ...

My interpretation is that it shows us Monroe is interested here & although Alma isn't interested yet, as time goes by she is bound to respond to kindness shown to her in this manner & at some point the idea that he's a potential partner kicks in.  It's true we don't know much about Monroe but maybe he didn't get involved with anyone else for all that time as he was sweet on Alma. 

FR - why wouldn't Monroe be considered as a catch? I'd have thought mothers for miles around would be cueing him up at the church socials for their daughters  ;D

I think this is part of what vexes Ennis, especially in the 'bucket kick' scene. Again, I don't think Alma has anything going on with Monroe here — she's certainly not 'gussied up' in any way, nor particularly giddy about going to work. This is shown right after a J + E fishing trip, indicating to me that her resentment of this (channeled into passive-aggressive behavior relating to finances) is fraying the marriage.

"Gussied up" is new one for me & I can't help but relate it to the word gusset  :-\   ???  Possibly Alma hadn't gotten the idea of her & Monroe in her head at this time, but she would definitely be viewing the job as a bit of a relief to get away from the domestic environment, & Ennis. 

Good point about what is annoying Ennis - he is so paranoid about anything that can detract from him being seen as the husbandly archetype.  What do you think is his level of understanding about female sexuality? ( if any  ;D )
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 08:55:06 am »
This is slightly OT, but it's interesting that in two scenes of marital conflict -- the bucket-kick scene and the "husbands never wanna dance with their wives" scene, ashes get spilled.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2007, 09:43:51 am »
I think the topic of ashes is really interesting.  Wasn't there an idea floating around for a while that Lureen's color shift from red gradually to black and white is equivalent to a fire turning to embers and then to ash?

Also, I think the camera's focus on the dwindling fire embers in the flashback is very interesting.  Especially since the flashback comes at the end of the big argument between Jack and Ennis (essentially, finally, they're having it out... their moment of 'domestic' conflict has finally erupted).  Obviously that dying fire in the flashback was from the beginning of their relationship and from a "good moment" in their relationship.  But, I feel like that fire has important significance for the "real time" of the last argument between them too.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 01:22:22 pm »
Maybe the ashes in each of those wife scenes signal that the marriage has died out. Though neither may have been ideal even before that, there was some affection in each. But at the point the ashes are scattered (!!) it's over -- Ennis and Alma are bickering harshly, Jack and Lureen have grown distant and frustrated.

It occurs to me that one way to look at the fact that Ennis didn't get Jack's ashes to scatter means that the feelings in that relationship can't "die out."

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 01:53:39 pm »
OMG latjoreme — great observation.

in two scenes of marital conflict . . .  ashes get spilled.

And the 'final conflict' of the film is over ashes, and where they will get spilled.

But Ennis comes away from it with something more powerful: a living symbol of how strong Jack's love for him was. His relationship with Jack had never 'burned out' the way each of their marriages had.

Damn. Every little detail proves to be significant . . .

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 07:33:10 pm »
Amazing.  Somehow I'd never thought to connect the ash buckets, the fire embers, the possible relationship to Lureen's image (going from fire red to black and white ash colors) to the fact that Jack's actual body becomes ashes.

You're right that this final issue that Ennis has to confront dealing with Jack in any possible physical sense has to go with gaining access to ashes.
 :-\ :'(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »
Since Lureen and the topic of women in BBM is hot once again these days, I thought I'd revive this old thread.

:)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2008, 07:57:26 pm »
Love it... Atz!!

See my thread: If Lureen is lesbian too... please.

Hugs!!