Author Topic: I did once (have a better idea)... to go to Mexico???  (Read 19808 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I did once (have a better idea)... to go to Mexico???
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 10:48:07 pm »
Heya EnnisLovesJack,
Nice to see you over here on BetterMost.  I love that old "I did once" thread.  Brilliant.  Yes, I just went back over to the old board to briefly check something and I was amazed to see how many of the good threads are actually still surviving.  If the "Jack and the Wind" thread ever gets zapped by trolls I'll have to go into mourning or something.  I almost never post over on imdb anymore (once in a blue moon I'll bump something or make a quick comment... but that's about it).  It makes me sad.  It was fun over there in the good old days.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 11:38:04 pm »
Heya atz,

Thank you!  ;D  What was your IMDB user name? I've been enjoying your posts here on BetterMost.

Yep, I've been there a time or two the last couple weeks, mostly to read, not post. Yep, some good old theads remain. Also found some great new ones. Yes, we had us a damn good there on IMDB. What makes me sad about it is the inexplicable drive those trolls had to hurt us, eviscerate the symposium we created. But I'm loving this new home. It's got some really great features IMDB ain't got. (My grammar, spelling and speech have changed cmpletely since the movie.  ;)) I LOVE the cowboy smileys! Love 'em to pieces. And there's so much more to love, here, too.

Since there ain't never enough time, never enough, I spend most of it here, only ocassionally visiting the "old country."  ;)

Keren/ELJ
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 06:30:02 am »
That's funny. I had the exact same question the first couple times I saw the movie! I even started a thread about it, on IMDB BBM board. Maybe that's the one that you saw refrenced on the Trembaly board....?

Some great people chimed in and answered the question for me, very satisfyingly. You probably have all the answers you need by now, thanks to all our brilliant brokie friends here. Miraculously, my "I did once" thread is still up on the IMDB board. Here's the link. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/35219370?d=38434936#38434936

Thanks Karen & Amanda.  I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one that was confused by this.  Actually Karen, I'm grateful that you included the IMDB link because there were a couple of other gems in there that we hadn't covered here: Ennis reacting defensively in the break-up with Cassie and the fact that Ennis was triple-orphaned.  These insights have given me a much better understanding of Ennis and his modus operandi.  So now I can watch the argument and see Jack say "I did once" meaning the cow-and-calf operation (check), Ennis reacting angrily thinking that he might lose Jack (check), and Ennis using the previously mentioned Mexico as the place where Jack might be straying to (check - check - check). ;D

So now I wonder what would have happened in this scene if Jack hadn't mentioned Mexico???  Arrrgh, sorry, sorry, that hurts my head too!  But wow, what a film that the (seemingly) insignificant line "why are we always in the cold, we should go south where it's warm" is critically used to set up the argument dialogue for Ennis to "attack" Jack - God I love this film!!! :D
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 09:30:25 pm »
Heya atz,

Thank you!  ;D  What was your IMDB user name? I've been enjoying your posts here on BetterMost.

Keren/ELJ

Heya ELJ,
I'm amandazehnder over on imdb.   :D

That "I did once" thread really is great.  I love that a shift in grammar can be so important. 

cheers!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »
Another bump for Throwback Wednesday. 

Great thread.