Author Topic: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:  (Read 42585 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 08:59:44 pm »
Why didn't Jack take his hat off when he met Alma?  Cowboys always take their hats off indoors...

Well, now this is interesting...  Jack does tip his hat to Alma.  But, I agree. I also thought that cowboys were supposed to take their hats off inside.  But, there are tons and tons of scenes where they wear their hats inside.  In the bar at the beginning, Jack in the bar with Jimbo and with Lureen, the guys who are sitting in Lureens office and look out the window to make fun of Jack's lack-luster rodeo skills,  and at the dance with LaShawn and Randall, etc.  So, even at nice, "respectable" events like the dance where Jack meets Randall, all the men seem to wear their hats inside.  I don't get it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

moremojo

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 09:20:54 pm »
Why didn't Jack show more interest in Ennis's children? This virtual apathy on Jack's part towards the offspring of his lover and best friend has always puzzled me; I know that I would cherish the children of someone who I loved as much as Jack did Ennis.

Examples: When Ennis brings Jack up to meet Alma, and Jack learns of Ennis's two girls, why didn't he ask to see them? When Jack shows up after the divorce, and Ennis introduces him to his daughters, they make perfunctory hellos, but after Ennis rebuffs Jack (to the pain of both of them), why didn't Jack step back over to the truck and make some charming goodbye to his lover's children? I could imagine him saying something like, "It sure was nice to meet you girls. You keep your old dad out of trouble, hear?"

If nothing else, Jack might have ingratiated himself with Ennis even more by showing more interest in his children, and evincing more sympathy for Ennis's position in regard to them.

Just some thoughts...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:39:50 pm by moremojo »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:07 pm »
Why didn't Jack show more interest in Ennis's children? This virtual apathy on Jack's part towards the offspring of his lover and best friend has always puzzled me; I know that I would cherish the children of someone who I loved as much as Jack did Ennis.

Examples: When Ennis brings Jack up to meet Alma, and Jack learns of Ennis's two girls, why didn't he ask to see them? When Jack shows up after the divorce, and Ennis introduces him to his daughters, they make perfunctory hellos, but after Ennis rebuffs Jack (to the pain of both of them), why didn't Jack step back over to the truck and make some charming goodbye to his lover's children? I could imagine him saying something like, "It sure was nice to meet you girls. You keep your old dad out of trouble, hear?"

If nothing else, Jack might have ingratiated himself with Ennis even more by showing more interest in his children, and evincing more sympathy for Ennis's position in regard to them.

Just some thoughts...

Scott M.

Interesting.  Is it possible because Movie Jack was to reflect Story Jack who didn't want no kids?  He loves his own son, but many people only love their kids, but not other people's kids.

moremojo

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 09:48:39 pm »

Interesting.  Is it possible because Movie Jack was to reflect Story Jack who didn't want no kids?  He loves his own son, but many people only love their kids, but not other people's kids.
I do suspect it might have had something to do with Jack wanting Ennis all for himself, and seeing the girls as an intrusion into his dreams involving Ennis. This idea saddens me, as the children are innocents in all of this, and Ennis clearly loves them with all his heart. Jack's apathy suggests a smattering of selfishness on his part that I don't like to consider, seeing what a tender and nurturing soul he is in so many other respects.

Scott

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 09:50:53 pm »
Hmm..Interesting questions added so far.  :)

- Where would we all be if Annie Proulx had never penned this beautiful story?  :-\

- What if the events were reversed and instead of Jack and Ennis meeting and falling in love, Lureen and Alma did?  Could you even picture Ennis saying: "Alma, you don't go up there to fish! Lureen Newsome? Lureen Nasty.."? lol

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2006, 11:24:47 pm »
I do suspect it might have had something to do with Jack wanting Ennis all for himself, and seeing the girls as an intrusion into his dreams involving Ennis. This idea saddens me, as the children are innocents in all of this, and Ennis clearly loves them with all his heart. Jack's apathy suggests a smattering of selfishness on his part that I don't like to consider, seeing what a tender and nurturing soul he is in so many other respects.

Scott

Now now.  Not all of us like kids - I sure don't.  Can we not have the 'because you don't like kids you must be selfish' thing?

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2006, 11:32:24 pm »

Don't think I'm awful, but I have some wonderful dear friends who have children, and I haven't the slightest interest in these kids.  Can't remember their names half the time.  No - we're not lovers, but you'd expect at least some interest on my part.  I feel the same way about some kids I'm actually related too as well.  Just can't even get a single smidgen of interest toward them. 

And for Jack, those kids are Ennis's perfect excuse to never be with him...
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 12:55:46 am »
Is it OK for the minister to kiss the bride if the groom doesn't fast enough?
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2006, 03:08:31 am »
Is it OK for the minister to kiss the bride if the groom doesn't fast enough?

Oh, I think that's perfectly OK. Ennis was probably thinking anyway: Hey Dude, you get me Jack F*ckin' Twist and she's all yours, hunh!?

::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 03:16:23 am by pipedream »

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2006, 03:46:44 am »

- Where would we all be if Annie Proulx had never penned this beautiful story?  :-\

One thing is for sure: we'd all have a lot of time on our hands...

;)