Author Topic: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:  (Read 42576 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2006, 07:23:45 pm »
This question really bugged me from the first time.. How the hell are their clothes wrinkle free when they're washed, beaten with a stick and wrung out by the river?

Heh.  Give you the answer.  If you put clothes on while they're still damp?  Your body heat dries them slowly and it's like putting them in the dryer.

Or else - in Ennis' case - his shirts are so ill-fitting and small that he literally stretches the wrinkles out. :)

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2006, 07:25:07 pm »
This question really bugged me from the first time.. How the hell are their clothes wrinkle free when they're washed, beaten with a stick and wrung out by the river?

Heh.  Give you the answer.  If you put clothes on while they're still damp?  Your body heat dries them slowly and it's like putting them in the dryer.

Or else - in Ennis' case - his shirts are so ill-fitting and small that he literally stretches the wrinkles out. :)

OOOH.. what a yummy explanation.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2006, 10:02:30 pm »
Did Ennis ever find the postcard that Alma hid inside the supermarket flyer? If so, how? If not, how did he know when the next rendezvous would be?

For that matter, why didn't Alma just throw the postcard in the garbage?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2006, 10:13:39 pm »
Okay, here's my burning random question. What's so satisfying about pivoting your head around while keeping the eyes tightly closed? I tried it, but was annoyed by the crunching noises in my neck and then I got dizzy and almost fell off the bed. And, related to this, what is so arousing about talking about moving to a sordid 5-room apartment above a laundromat? Okay, I grant you that the vibrations from the hi speed dryers might be mildly exciting, and the veil of steam constantly surrounding the joint might provide a smidgeon of ambiance. But talking about it is nothing that would arouse me to a near orgasmic state much less prepare me for the bestial treatment that is to come!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2006, 10:32:08 pm »
Well, now this is interesting...  Jack does tip his hat to Alma.  But, I agree. I also thought that cowboys were supposed to take their hats off inside.  But, there are tons and tons of scenes where they wear their hats inside.  In the bar at the beginning, Jack in the bar with Jimbo and with Lureen, the guys who are sitting in Lureens office and look out the window to make fun of Jack's lack-luster rodeo skills,  and at the dance with LaShawn and Randall, etc.  So, even at nice, "respectable" events like the dance where Jack meets Randall, all the men seem to wear their hats inside.  I don't get it.

Here's what I found:

Some standard, base-line points of etiquette:

¨  Any time you enter a building, the hat should come off. 
¨  If it is an informal occasion you may put it back on but for a formal occasion it should stay off.
¨  When sitting down at a table for a meal, the hat should come off unless there is nowhere to safely lay the hat.
¨  When sitting down at a counter for a meal, the hat can stay on.
¨  Out on the range however, keep your hat on while you eat. If you take your hat off, another wrangler might step on it or spill food into the rim.

Now all of the above rules are frequently ignored or modified depending on the locale, the situation, the people etc.  So use your best judgment and if in doubt, stick to the above rules to be sure you're not offending anyone's sensibilities.

I've always thought there was something particularly elegant about the cowboy greeting, touching one's hand to the brim of one's hat.  A part of the origin of this was that when men would meet, moving the hand to the hat brim signaled friendly intentions by moving the hand away from the holster.  Tipping of the cowboy hat when meeting someone depends completely upon the situation but it does show good breeding and respect.

Jack really probably should have taken his hat off.  He was probably a little too out of it/excited to think about it.  Or maybe he figured they wouldn't be in the apartment long enough!   :laugh:

what is so arousing about talking about moving to a sordid 5-room apartment above a laundromat? Okay, I grant you that the vibrations from the hi speed dryers might be mildly exciting, and the veil of steam constantly surrounding the joint might provide a smidgeon of ambiance. But talking about it is nothing that would arouse me to a near orgasmic state much less prepare me for the bestial treatment that is to come!

That had me laughing so hard I almost choked on my own spit!   :laugh:
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2006, 10:32:31 pm »
Okay, here's my burning random question. What's so satisfying about pivoting your head around while keeping the eyes tightly closed? I tried it, but was annoyed by the crunching noises in my neck and then I got dizzy and almost fell off the bed. And, related to this, what is so arousing about talking about moving to a sordid 5-room apartment above a laundromat? Okay, I grant you that the vibrations from the hi speed dryers might be mildly exciting, and the veil of steam constantly surrounding the joint might provide a smidgeon of ambiance. But talking about it is nothing that would arouse me to a near orgasmic state much less prepare me for the bestial treatment that is to come!

ROTF

Marlene Dietrich

moremojo

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2006, 10:33:16 pm »
As I recall, Alma's use of the word "lonely" is the pivotal moment here. This seems to trigger Ennis's thoughts in Jack's direction, and he responds to the person beside him in the way he would really wish to be behaving with Jack. The talk of the apartment above the laundromat was incidental in this subtle evocation of Ennis's very real loneliness and its true nature.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:49:45 pm by moremojo »

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2006, 10:40:17 pm »
How did they butcher the elk and slice those nice, even, and thin peices of steak?  Why were they not worn out from all of that cutting?   ???  Yes, they are strong, manly cowboys and I'd expect nothing less.  Nonetheless...it is curious. 
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2006, 10:47:52 pm »
This is more of a statment, than question.  Why couldn't they put Alma in a dress that fits her boobies?  Everytime I see the scene when she catches them, I want to pull that sweater dress closed.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2006, 11:16:51 pm »
I'm sure the contents of Ennis's brown paper 'traveling bag' is a subject that has already been discussed, but....  what do YOU think was in the bag?  A shirt? A pair of socks?  Boxers or briefs?  It didn't seem to be heavy or big enough to have contained a second pair of jeans.  Where do you think the yellow rain slicker came from?  Jack had on a different jacket that day, too. I noticed that Ennis's luggage was upgraded to a cloth feedbag coming back from the mountain.   Do you think Ennis had his own Zippo lighter when he went up on Brokeback that summer?  If he did, then perhaps asking to use Jack's lighter in the bar could have been an excuse to brush his hand against Jack's while taking the lighter from him?  Okay, that was me 'projecting'.... (!)  But---  if he did NOT have his own lighter, how did he light his cigarettes while he was up there with the sheep by himself?  I like to think that the Zippo that Ennis is flicking as he waits for his reunion smooch-fest was a gift from Jack....maybe it WAS Jack's--  Jack may have generously given his own lighter to Ennis, and Ennis was able to hold it in his hand every day for all those years and feel closer to Jack.  (Aw, c'mon, let me have this one, it's tamer than most of my fantasies!)   ;) 
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."