Author Topic: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:  (Read 42606 times)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2006, 04:18:24 am »
Would Ennis have made Monroe (nee Bill) eat the f'in floor if he had come at Alma's call?

Yeah, and if that had been the case, would Alma have had a digestive handy for him??   ???

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2006, 07:26:04 am »
Not to change the subject, but how did they transport all that camping gear away from the parking lot when they only had two riding horses?

J, I definitely wondered this one after watching the DVD a few days ago.  In the second-to-last camping scene, they are by a river, and because the tent is set up, and because of what they must have been doing in the tent, I have to believe it would be a camp set "way the hell out in the back of nowhere" - so how the hell did they get that giant red Coleman cooler up there?  Balanced on the horse's head!?

Good question.  Only answer I can think of is that they might have made more than one trip.  Just because we saw them riding together doesn't mean they were actually going to where they were camping.  Perhaps they had already set up camp and were just riding for pleasure and to talk/not talk.

As for the Zippo lighter question, in those days, cigarettes were 'part of' supplies, I'm sure.  Matches would have been as well.  You don't think they lit that campfire by rubbing two sticks together, did you?   ;D

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2006, 08:18:45 am »
  You don't think they lit that campfire by rubbing two sticks together, did you?   ;D

No, certainly not. But they lit some other fire by rubbing their foreheads together...

::)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2006, 08:26:43 am »
When the boys parted after Brokeback, Jack drives off and Ennis follows on foot.   Why the hell didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride?   They were going the same direction!   :-\

Ray and I mused about this, David - actually, after a couple of glasses of white wine, "musing" consisted pretty much of hurling abuse the computer monitor, a la "well, offer him a lift, you stingy bastard!!!" etc. We concluded that if Jack HAD offered Ennis a lift somewhere, and if Ennis DID accept it, you lose an incredibly poignant and wistful sequence of Ennis disappearing in Jack's rearview mirror and Jack fighting the urge to cry about it.

Can you imagine what we'd moan longingly about if they'd driven together into Riverton and Ennis had popped Jack a quick kiss on the cheek or a reassuring squeeze of the thigh with a "see ya in four years, then, hunh?" before jumping out of the pickup and heading over to the post office???

Faaar more romantic and sad and tragic the way Ang shot it.  ;D ;D
Chut up!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2006, 08:39:26 am »
Can you imagine what we'd moan longingly about if they'd driven together into Riverton and Ennis had popped Jack a quick kiss on the cheek or a reassuring squeeze of the thigh with a "see ya in four years, then, hunh?" before jumping out of the pickup and heading over to the post office???
bwahahahahahaha!! I love it. ;D

I guess an additional mule or two on those twenty years of trips might not have looked so romantic. "Here we are, off in the beautiful mountains, just the two of us... and our four mules to carry the comfy chairs and the big blue coffee pot and stuff."
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2006, 09:28:49 am »
Some standard, base-line points of etiquette:

ยจ  When sitting down at a table for a meal, the hat should come off unless there is nowhere to safely lay the hat.

OK, that means I'll probably be keeping my hat on at the Brokie Brunch next week.

I've always thought there was something particularly elegant about the cowboy greeting, touching one's hand to the brim of one's hat.  A part of the origin of this was that when men would meet, moving the hand to the hat brim signaled friendly intentions by moving the hand away from the holster.

Reminiscent of a military salute, too.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2006, 09:32:54 am »
Not to change the subject, but how did they transport all that camping gear away from the parking lot when they only had two riding horses?

J, I definitely wondered this one after watching the DVD a few days ago.  In the second-to-last camping scene, they are by a river, and because the tent is set up, and because of what they must have been doing in the tent, I have to believe it would be a camp set "way the hell out in the back of nowhere" - so how the hell did they get that giant red Coleman cooler up there?  Balanced on the horse's head!?

There's a short, dialogue-less scene from sometime in the middle years -- they have sideburns but are still smiling happily at each other, as opposed to the cold stony silence of that later riding scene -- that shows Jack at the campsite and Ennis driving up in his truck with a horse trailer attached. I think at that point they rode for fun, not for transportation.

- Did Ennis ever 'check out' other guys?  On the street? In the pub?  In the ranches where he worked?  I am sure he might have seen other men that 'tickled his fancy', even though he was not interested in pursuing any of them.

- Was Randall really 'not mechanical' as LaShawn claims?  I think that since he was a rancher, he'd know a thing or two about machinery.  But then again, she was probably too busy talking him into a slow, excruciating death to notice whether he was mechanically-inclined or not.

On the first question, no way of knowing because we never see Ennis around any other man who's even remotely attractive. But my guess is that he had his sexuality pretty strictly controlled and compartmentalized. We do see him checking out Jack, but that was only after he'd gotten to know him pretty well, and he immediately caught himself and deliberately turned his attention to other things. Otherwise, he'd gotten pretty good at convincing himself he wasn't interested. (Though Annie Proulx does say she conceived of the character of Ennis after watching an older cowboy wistfully checking out the young guys playing pool ...  :'()

On the second question, my feeling is that when LaShawn complains that her husband is "not mechanical" and doesn't have "a smidgen of rhythm" she is not talking about either machinery or dancing ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2006, 09:50:28 am »
Since when did "fishin'" or "fishin' trip" become a euphemism for having gay sex? First Ennis, then Randall. What's up with that?

Most gay men I know are made uncomfortable by the thought of fish. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2006, 10:03:20 am »
Okay, here's my burning random question. What's so satisfying about pivoting your head around while keeping the eyes tightly closed? I tried it, but was annoyed by the crunching noises in my neck and then I got dizzy and almost fell off the bed. And, related to this, what is so arousing about talking about moving to a sordid 5-room apartment above a laundromat? Okay, I grant you that the vibrations from the hi speed dryers might be mildly exciting, and the veil of steam constantly surrounding the joint might provide a smidgeon of ambiance. But talking about it is nothing that would arouse me to a near orgasmic state much less prepare me for the bestial treatment that is to come!
As I recall, Alma's use of the word "lonely" is the pivotal moment here. This seems to trigger Ennis's thoughts in Jack's direction, and he responds to the person beside him in the way he would really wish to be behaving with Jack. The talk of the apartment above the laundromat was incidental in this subtle evocation of Ennis's very real loneliness and its true nature.

Scott M.

Okay, that explains Ennis but not Alma. Her excitement is still a mystery. Or could she have been faking it to get what she wanted?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2006, 10:07:25 am »
Since when did "fishin'" or "fishin' trip" become a euphemism for having gay sex? First Ennis, then Randall. What's up with that?

I suspect it wasn't so much fishing but the act of doing something considered to be very masculine and in tune with the times to throw off any suspicions.............. :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist