Author Topic: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:  (Read 42572 times)

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
Re: Very random questions that pop to mind when thinking of BBM:
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2006, 10:22:03 pm »
When the boys parted after Brokeback, Jack drives off and Ennis follows on foot.   Why the hell didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride?   They were going the same direction!   :-\

I have always wondered that!!!!!!!!!!! That question burns a hole in my mind. I mean, it would have given Jack at least a few more minutes with his beloved. And who knows what might happened....Might have avoided the whole marrying someone else fiasco. Plus, it's only polite.
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2006, 10:34:36 pm »
I bet that even if Jack had offered Ennis a ride, Ennis would have declined.  It's pretty clear (at least to me) that given the punch and his dismissive attitude during their last conversation that Ennis is trying hard to force himself to detach.  I'm guessing Jack sensed this.  Also, I think Jack was genuinely mad about the punch.  I'm sort of glad that Ennis felt guilty about that for their 4 year separation (I love that it's clearly eating at Ennis enough to bring it up in the motel conversation).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2006, 10:36:25 pm »
Hope I'm note repeating anything here...
In the story, it says specifically that Ennis wears neither underwear nor socks. So what why does Ennis wear socks in the movie? ???
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2006, 12:37:59 am »
I'm sort of glad that Ennis felt guilty about that for their 4 year separation (I love that it's clearly eating at Ennis enough to bring it up in the motel conversation).

I bet that was at least some of the reason for his distress in the alley scene.

TJ

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2006, 07:45:06 pm »
Who told Ennis what there is in Mexico for guys like Jack?

Literarily speaking, it must have been Larry McMurtry. But, in the way that I read the short story weeks before I saw the movie, I believe what Ennis had heard about Mexico had nothing to do with Jack going there to have sex. What he had heard was that queers got killed in Mexico, too, IMO. I have met guys from Mexico who would confirm that fact and that only "bottoms" were considered to be "queer" in same-gender sexual contact, those who were tops could claim to be "straight."

Annie Proulx never wrote in her narrative that Jack even went to Mexico. He only claimed he had been after Ennis asked "Been a Mexico Jack?"

The only reason that Jack even brought up the subject of Mexico in the story was he wanted to meet someplace where it was warmer than the high altitudes of Wyoming. Jack was getting older, he was 39 you know, and the fact that he had all of those bone injuries from riding bulls, he apparently suffered from arthritis and rheumatism, too.

(My older sister's 2nd husband was a rodeo bull rider a long time ago. Many of his current health problems are related to his rodeo days.)

TJ

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2006, 07:48:58 pm »
When the boys parted after Brokeback, Jack drives off and Ennis follows on foot.   Why the hell didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride?   They were going the same direction!   :-\

In the book, both of them were driving off in opposite directions. But, I ask the same question as far as the movie is concerned.

And, since Jack's mother was Pentecostal, he would have done what a real country boy and the son of a Christian woman would have done, offered the ride as soon as the truck started.

TJ

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2006, 07:53:46 pm »
What sane woman (Jacks mother) would live with Jack's father? 

I'm just sayin...

Well, I have had two Pentecostal sisters who lived with abusive and unbelieving husbands and they believed that it would be against God's will to leave their husbands.

It also might be the case that Mrs. Twist put up with him because she felt trapped in that situation financially speaking. Even Ennis Del Mar felt financially trapped and he used that as one of his excuses for not going into business with Jack and his cow and calf operation.

TJ

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2006, 08:04:23 pm »
Since when did "fishin'" or "fishin' trip" become a euphemism for having gay sex? First Ennis, then Randall. What's up with that?

Most gay men I know are made uncomfortable by the thought of fish. ...

Then you don't know me. I have gone on an overnight fishing trip with a friend and we actually fished. We went to the Arkansas River in a pickup truck and when it started to sprinkle we left the bank and got in the cab of the truck and the we "played with our worms."  ;) But, in our case, his wife knew his sexual orientation and she knew that I was gay, too.

Oh, when we were actually fishin', we were using fish (minnows) for bait, not worms.

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2006, 08:10:41 pm »
Was contraception BEFORE you even had one kid a totally alien concept in the 1960's?

No, but there were far fewer options for birth control in 1963, and abortion was NOT spoken aloud by most people. If
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2006, 09:30:05 am »
I watched the DVD for the first time in two weeks last nite and came up with lots of random questions. Here's one: If you want to get yourself knocked up in your T-bird, why park right under a bright street lite??
"chewing gum and duct tape"