Author Topic: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.  (Read 19519 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:39:03 pm »
for me, the courtship was very subtle. it had to be to make sense. gay men who haven't come to term or are still closeted don't wear their feelings on their sleeves. they come out in subtle ways for self preservation. For me the there was even more romance because despite the societal constraint, they still found little ways to show tenderness and love to one another.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 03:39:05 pm »
Exactly, Nipith.  And just how *are* two poor, male ranch hands in early-60s Wyoming - one of whom hasn't even begun to except his own homosexuality - supposed to flirt, by the way?

Dumbass mules.

I agree with Rayn and Lynne and Nancy - I think this is about the most romantic movie I've ever seen, because not only does it capture how these particular people *really* would relate to and fall in love with one another, it captures how pretty much all the rest of us fall in love, too.  I guess it's just too realistic for people with Instant Gratification Mentality Disorder to comprehend.

You said it, Nancy - either people get it or they don't.  And as I said to Diane last night, I actually have two classifications of people in my psyche now, kind of like that Woody Allen character Judy Davis played once thought of people as being either hedgehogs or foxes - Brokies and non-Brokies.  Tell ya what - turns out I can like a non-Brokie - to a point, anyway.  It turns out both my own parents fall into that classification, after all.  But I can't dislike a Brokie.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 06:46:07 pm »
I'd go so far as to say that it's the subtlety that MAKES it romantic. Over-the-top romance quickly gets sentimental, turning the emotions cheap and unbelievable. This movie is never sentimental, so the emotions seem authentic. And because of all the attempted repression, by both Ennis and Jack (in different ways), when you DO see any hint of emotion you know it must be very powerful.

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 07:57:26 pm »
I'm just lamenting the missed opportunities for a wildfire, a few bar room brawls, and car, err..pickup chase.

Ya ever see a 2 ton dually with a roll bar flip over...they bounces!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really a nice guy, but I can go from zero to bitch faster than a Dodge one ton diesel with one them superchips installed...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 08:03:42 pm by DecaturTxCowboy »
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 10:22:19 pm »
truth is, I never thought of this movie as being "romantic". I guess I'm just jaded with the word, as I associate it with walking on the beach during sunsets and candle lit dinners.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

TJ

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 10:42:59 pm »
To me, Brokeback Mountain was one of the most romantic movies I have ever seen!  You can disagree, but it won't change what I see in the movie and want to see, again and again.  I love the film just as it is.

Rayn

PS: There is a often big difference in how Gay and Non Gay people see and respond to the movie.  There is also sometimes a difference in how men and women see it too, but not always.

Oh, I have noticed a whole lot of differences in the way that gay men from the middle state rural areas of the USA see it than those in the larger cities on the coasts, too.

I also have noticed that many gay men seem to see the movie even differently than gay women do.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 11:46:52 pm »
truth is, I never thought of this movie as being "romantic". I guess I'm just jaded with the word, as I associate it with walking on the beach during sunsets and candle lit dinners.

I know what you mean, starboardlight. So maybe we need a new word for a movie in which the viewer gets so invested in the couple that it's wrenching at the end, not just because one dies, but because they never fulfilled their potential as a couple. I can't remember any other recent movies in which I really cared that much one way or another.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 12:44:07 pm »
  I guess it's just too realistic for people with Instant Gratification Mentality Disorder to comprehend.

You said it, Nancy - either people get it or they don't.

Couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of people fall into the latter category.  I still do not understand why, however.

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 10:23:54 am »

Ok, well romantic is many things to many folks. 

See, ridin' a horse in the mountians, pitchin' a tent, choppin' wood, fishin' a bit, sittin' telling fireside stories and drinkin' a bit and hopefully, layin' in a lover's arms or him layin' in mine is about as romantic as it gets for me! 

Walkin' a beach at sunset is damn fine too, but I'm a mountain man from way back and a camper... and there's nothin' better than camping with a loved one.

Brokeback Mountain is romantic because it's REAL!    Reality, the beauty of the earth, knowing one's place in nature and sharing that with another...  That's real romance, to me.   

Romance and Reality don't always run against one another.

Rayn
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:26:50 am by Rayn »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 10:55:36 am »

Ok, well romantic is many things to many folks. 

See, ridin' a horse in the mountians, pitchin' a tent, choppin' wood, fishin' a bit, sittin' telling fireside stories and drinkin' a bit and hopefully, layin' in a lover's arms or him layin' in mine is about as romantic as it gets for me! 

Walkin' a beach at sunset is damn fine too, but I'm a mountain man from way back and a camper... and there's nothin' better than camping with a loved one.

Brokeback Mountain is romantic because it's REAL!    Reality, the beauty of the earth, knowing one's place in nature and sharing that with another...  That's real romance, to me.   

Romance and Reality don't always run against one another.

Rayn

I agree, Rayn.  It depends on your definition of romance, I guess.  To me, someone is doing something romantic when he's going above and beyond to appeal to/be with his beloved.  Both Jack and Ennis took risks in order to be together even on the unfulfilling level they were ultimately together.  Jack was I guess more romantic than Ennis - he proposed to him, basically, for godssake.  He laid it all out there, only to be disappointed again and again.  And to have kept those shirts like he did all those years!  Hell.  Ain't nothin' more romantic than that.
No more beans!