Author Topic: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.  (Read 19521 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 11:40:20 am »
...someone is doing something romantic when he's going above and beyond to appeal to/be with his beloved. 

Jack was I guess more romantic than Ennis - he proposed to him, basically, for godssake.  He laid it all out there, only to be disappointed again and again.  And to have kept those shirts like he did all those years!  Hell.  Ain't nothin' more romantic than that.

Yes, what a wonderful way to put it too, ednbarby,"going above and beyond to appeal to/be with his beloved."   So true.

Jack was the more romantic.   But I'll tell you what... Jack's heart and mind tell us a whole lot about Annie P.   Now there's a mightly romantic woman... am I right?   Romantic but in touch with reality.  I bet she is and I love her for being that way.

Rayn

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 02:13:17 pm »
... And to have kept those shirts like he did all those years!  Hell.  Ain't nothin' more romantic than that.

that's true. that certainly restored my faith in Love.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 02:21:29 pm »
My heart skips a beat with every viewing when Ennis says, "I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there," and Jack says, "...Yeah."
No more beans!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 02:43:44 am »
My heart skips a beat with every viewing when Ennis says, "I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there," and Jack says, "...Yeah."

I know, mine does too, ednbarby!  I love Jack, what a sweet guy.

Rayn

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 12:33:29 am »
Howdy Brokies  :)

Just found this forum and have enjoyed an hour or so of reading your thought provoking posts!

I'm been a member of Dave Cullen's forum for a few months now, and saw a reference to bettermost there.  Had to check it out  :D.

Tell you what, truth is, it's the most romantic story (in whichever medium) in the known universe.  I keep coming across friends of friends who found it unromantic and frankly, the mind boggles.  I do this  :o, every time I hear the complaint.  Were they anaesthetised before going in?  Synapse problems?  WTF!

It's searingly, acheingly, jawdroppingly romantic.  Something about the way men 'do' romance is deeply compelling.  It's the very contrariness of it, I think, tho that theory needs a little work.  Rather than romantic vulnerability hinting at emasculation, these two seem to be at the height of their masculinity.  Experiencing it fully, as it were.  We're so unaccustomed to seeing, or in fact ALLOWING, men to be fully male, that some (the dumbass mules) don't even recognise the unique beauty of the male expression of love when they see it.

Back to yer beans  ;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 09:06:32 am »
Howdy Brokies  :)

Just found this forum and have enjoyed an hour or so of reading your thought provoking posts!

I'm been a member of Dave Cullen's forum for a few months now, and saw a reference to bettermost there.  Had to check it out  :D.

Tell you what, truth is, it's the most romantic story (in whichever medium) in the known universe.  I keep coming across friends of friends who found it unromantic and frankly, the mind boggles.  I do this  :o, every time I hear the complaint.  Were they anaesthetised before going in?  Synapse problems?  WTF!

It's searingly, acheingly, jawdroppingly romantic.  Something about the way men 'do' romance is deeply compelling.  It's the very contrariness of it, I think, tho that theory needs a little work.  Rather than romantic vulnerability hinting at emasculation, these two seem to be at the height of their masculinity.  Experiencing it fully, as it were.  We're so unaccustomed to seeing, or in fact ALLOWING, men to be fully male, that some (the dumbass mules) don't even recognise the unique beauty of the male expression of love when they see it.

Back to yer beans  ;)

I get the feeling that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.  I hope you'll take off your hat and stay a while, Wolf.  I like the way you think.  Great minds and all that.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 10:17:19 am »

Definitely Wolf, agree 100% with Barb, I like the cut of your jib, you are so very welcome here! :D
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 09:03:25 pm »
Aussie Chris,

First up, aww shucks  :).  Wonder if our mutual jib cut appreciation (yeah, I've read a few of your posts  ;)) has geographical roots?, she says from her perch in eastcoast Australia.

Back to blokes - I'm deeply enamoured of the way men love (as a straight chick, that'd make sense  :P), and have long felt a distinct lack of artistic renderings of same.  Film, when love is a central theme, is invariably FEMALE, on every level.  Brokeback gave us, I think for the first time, a look into the emotional life of men.  How Ms Proulx accessed that particular animal, I'll never know, but thank god she did!

W

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 09:28:28 pm »
Back to blokes - I'm deeply enamoured of the way men love (as a straight chick, that'd make sense  :P), and have long felt a distinct lack of artistic renderings of same.  Film, when love is a central theme, is invariably FEMALE, on every level.  Brokeback gave us, I think for the first time, a look into the emotional life of men.  How Ms Proulx accessed that particular animal, I'll never know, but thank god she did!

Hey Wolf, you put this very well, and also in your previous post. I fotally agree, and it's one of my favorite subjects. If you get a chance, I hope you take a look at the "why is this movie so romantic?" thread. I would love to see that thread revitalized (um, and not just because I started it!  ::)), and it sounds like you could contribute some really interesting ideas!

Here it is:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1101.0

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:34 pm »
Wonder if our mutual jib cut appreciation (yeah, I've read a few of your posts  ;)) has geographical roots?, she says from her perch in eastcoast Australia.

Well compared to Wyoming, we're practically neighbours - being perched south-easterly myself (Melbourne)! ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:40:44 am by Aussie Chris »
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare