Author Topic: Jack is also Ennis??  (Read 8138 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Ennis and Jack, are they LIKE brothers??
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 09:37:26 pm »
I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Wayne. I know that must have been hard for you.

I think Ennis's visit to the Twist house was a very difficult for all three. Ennis, having an impression of them all ready and the Twists, they knew exactly who Ennis Del Mar was. I have always seen John Twist as someone straining to hold back his rage. I have known people like that. You sit in their living room and try to offer your condolence on their loss and they can't even look at you because you are "one of them".
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 09:44:05 pm »
When one is a gay man, one seeks another gay man as a brother??
Speaking for myself, I have recognized that much of my longing for men is driven by a desire to find a fraternal figure or even a father figure--in other words, to experience a nurturing bond with another male that I have felt has largely eluded me in life. I think this is why I have felt envious of those with brothers (with the accompanying tendency to idealize the fraternal relationship), because family is family no matter what (the saying "blood is thicker than water"), whereas lovers and even friends can, sadly, sometimes come and go.

But I don't think my feelings are at all universally shared. A good friend of mine, a gay man like me and just a little bit older, who had an older sister and two younger brothers, didn't agree with my ideal of a spiritual brotherhood, and saw the roles of lover and friend as distinctly different from those of sibling or parent (again, in a spiritual/emotional sense). He saw no need or worth in conflating them, though he respected my own viewpoint and honored the fact that I shared my feelings with him. I noted that his own relations with his brothers tended to be contentious and even rancorous; he seemed to bear more sympathy and good will for his sister.

For the record, I have one older sister, and though we were not close as children, as adults I now count her as one of my best friends. I have been blessed by the presence of strong, nurturing, and engaged female figures in my family, and have been shaped for the better by their handiwork; again, it is the masculine counterpart to this that seems to remain elusive, mysterious, and desirable.

injest

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 10:16:14 pm »
I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Wayne. I know that must have been hard for you.

I think Ennis's visit to the Twist house was a very difficult for all three. Ennis, having an impression of them all ready and the Twists, they knew exactly who Ennis Del Mar was. I have always seen John Twist as someone straining to hold back his rage. I have known people like that. You sit in their living room and try to offer your condolence on their loss and they can't even look at you because you are "one of them".

but do you ever think of why they feel that rage? I think a lot of time (most actually) people take out their anger (or focus it may be a better way of putting it) at the 'safest' person. The person that is there...

I can imagine so many feeling roiling around inside of someone that has lost a child they are estranged from...anger, definitely; grief, anguish at the realization that the reconcilaion will never happen; rage at society that has failed you;

so much pain...and for what? because of who someone wants to have sex with. We are so blind....so worried about other people instead of focusing on what is important.  (we = people in general)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 11:36:33 pm »
Thanks, thanks, thanks
shakestheground,
moremojo,
injest:

The 3 of you have asserted things which overwhelmes me!!! Am happy that you are expressing such values!!!

I have already re-read each one of you, and will re-read many times again, as there is much truths there!!!

Will comment later. For now, like Ennis, Mr. Twist and Mrs. Twist, I need to rest as the human condition is sometimes sad!!! Therefore, my needing is digesting such goodness and for time (rest)! It is also near midnight and my carriage will come... soon!

However, am glad to say that your thoughts also reveal that we can be HAPPY as humans, helping each other by understanding one another!!! Listening... and finding ways... talking!!!

This is a great Easter gift for me from you all!!!

Thanks!!!

Hugs!!!

Awaiting more.... like in the movie of the child asking for more food!!!

Offline Artiste

Is Ennis a slave?? Is Jack a slave??
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:02 pm »
The word slave here may sound harsh??

Here is the question:
Is Ennis a slave?? Is Jack a slave??

Are their lives modern day 1960's slaves and 2007 forms of slavery??

In our democratic societies??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

Re: Is Ennis a slave?? Is Jack a slave??
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 11:40:51 pm »
I suppose that there are many definitions of being a slave.

Let's hear some??

Hugs!!