Author Topic: IQ TEST  (Read 3589 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
IQ TEST
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:19:54 pm »
Over the years I've done IQ tests here and there. The other day, one of the Belgian channels was 'Testing the Nation'. I missed it, but I did the test on their web-site (www.rtltvi.be/legrandtest - it's in French though). I got 121, which is above average.. I've done a Mensa test in 2003 (result 123) and again in 2005 (I think it was exactly the same result as the one in 2003) and another non-Mensa test last year (www.IQTestClub.com) where I got 137!? As I'm always 'above average' I tried another one tonight (link below) and I got 126 (I’m addicted..  ;D).

I don't understand! I really really don't think I'm an intelligent person. Well, certainly not above average! I was just about 'average' all through school. I was doing very well in some subjects in school (mathematics, French, Geography), but in general, I belonged to the not so brilliant pupils. I never had the ambition to excel and show off. I did what was expected and not much more. University was a bit different of course, but nothing exceptional.

In company with friends or colleagues and when I meet new people, I quickly loose track and don't know how to keep a conversation going, especially when it's about 'important' stuff like politics, economics, philosophy, religion etc. I might have my opinions, but they don't go very far or deep and I just feel that I don't know much at all. I envy those 'intellectuals' you see in hour-long tv-debates or other (on politics, literature, religion and stuff). I would never ever be able to keep up. On the other hand I'm crap at small talk and it exhausts me. I'd rather shut up than 'talk small'.. So, what's these 'above average' results I keep getting? I know an IQ test doesn't give the whole picture and there are emotional intelligence tests and so on, but I wonder what the results really mean. One friend once told me, that I probably hadn't found the right job yet, were I could really excel and shine.. He also told me, that I had probably not been challenged enough as a child, hadn't made enough use of my capacities and probably 'gave up' early.. Hmm...  Dunno..   :-\

There are a variety of different IQ test, which are all calculated slightly differently. I found this one to be quite good - www.intelligencetest.com/. On the link provided, after taking the test, you can convert your result into Stanford Binet and Cattell versions of IQ tests, though I have no idea what the difference is!  :laugh:

Some of my result report says:
* All 30 questions answered
* Questions answered correctly: 25
* Percentage correct answers: 83 %
* Your age adjusted IQ score is 126
* Your Grade ** Above Average **
* Your score was above average and within two standard deviations of the mean score (top 85 to 97.73% of the population) Typically, people with scores in this range can see logic in their surroundings and perform very well academically. You like to conceptualize ideas and gather your own information which means that you have the brains to go far. You should be able to handle all academic challenges and if you think of intelligence as an ability to adapt adequately to new situations then you are heading in the right direction.
- I find that last comment a bit silly, really..

Test yourself and post the result (if you want) or your comments and opinions about IQ tests.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: IQ TEST
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:30 pm »
Mine is always anywhere from 119 to 133.  (But usually more around the low end of that.)  So let's call it 124.

Above average, but nothing special.  Story of my life.  ;)

No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:06:46 pm »
OK, I just took the IQ test that came most highly-recommended, and got this:

General statistics

Total number of questions: 30
Questions answered: 30
Questions not answered: 0
Questions answered correctly: 18
Questions answered incorrectly: 12
Percentage correct answers: 60 %

Your age adjusted IQ score is 109 and the average score for all test takers is 100.

Your Grade ** Higher Average **

Well done! Your score was above average and within one standard deviation of the mean score (top 50 to 84% of the population). Whatever you decide to do you have a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a wide variety of ways. You are able to think critically and communicate very effectively and you also have the ability to handle most academic challenges. If you think of intelligence as the ability to adapt easily to new situations then you are heading in the right direction.

Standard Deviation: 15

Grade Statistics

Grade Range Percent

Genius >144 0.13%
Gifted 130-144 2.14%
Above average 115-129 13.59%
Higher average 100-114 34.13%
Lower average 85-99 34.13%
Below average 70-84 13.59%
Borderline low 55-69 2.14%
Low <55 0.13%

OK, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm not the dullest, either.  I'm a ho that hasn't been smoothed out in a while.  ;)

At least I'm better than GWB, aka The Ruler of the Free World, who I'd place (charitably) at "Below average."
No more beans!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:22:03 am »
OK, I just took the IQ test that came most highly-recommended, and got this:

[..]

OK, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm not the dullest, either.  I'm a ho that hasn't been smoothed out in a while.  ;)

At least I'm better than GWB, aka The Ruler of the Free World, who I'd place (charitably) at "Below average."

Oh! Don't get me started on that dude!  ;) But I thought I read somewhere that he actually had a higher/above average IQ (still one of the lowest of all former US presidents).. Which is so hard to believe.. !!  :o

j. U. d. E.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:26:17 am by j. U. d. E. »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:50:41 pm »
Oh! Don't get me started on that dude!  ;) But I thought I read somewhere that he actually had a higher/above average IQ (still one of the lowest of all former US presidents).. Which is so hard to believe.. !!  :o

j. U. d. E.

Where did you read that?  Fox News Online?  ;)

Both of my brothers have "genius" level IQs.  One dropped out of high school at 16 and now works at a loading dock in a factory at 47, and the other never went to college and worked menial jobs for years but eventually worked himself up to a position of (albeit geekoid) status in the IT department of a well-known company.  (I'm in IT, myself, so I can call him a geek without gulit.)  The one who dropped out of high school has the highest IQ of all of us.  The excuse that was regularly made on his behalf for dropping out was that "he was bored."  I beg to differ.  He was lazy.  As is our President and Ruler of the Free World.  Lazy thinking is still lazy, and that's what they both are.  It's not that they're not challenged enough - it's that they can't be bothered to meet the challenge.
No more beans!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:49:44 am »
Where did you read that?  Fox News Online?  ;)
:laugh:

Actually I don't remember.. But I have the figure 112 in my head for GWB.. I could be wrong. I googled for US president's IQs and it said that the IQ study (where Bush has 91 and Clinton 182) is a hoax.

The hoax email showed Bill Clinton having the highest IQ (at 182) and George W. Bush the lowest (at 91). As with most hoaxes, the numbers claimed in the email were not backed up by any evidence but appeared plausible to some people. The sociologists and institutions (the "Lovenstein Institute") quoted in the article do not exist. The techniques used to measure the IQ of the Presidents are not recognized means of measuring IQs. The hoax also contains other factual errors.[1] When the hoax was debunked, it appeared to many as a personal reproach on Bush due to its timing and the fact that Bush's IQ was reported as exactly half of that of Clinton.

It sounded weird, because I didn't even know that a 182 IQ was possible.. I though anything over 155 is genius but unmeasurable.. No idea, really.

Barb, what you say about your 'lazy' brother probably applies to me very much. I think I'm extremely lazy. It bugs me a lot, but I don't do anything about it. I've heard about very intelligent children being bored at school. I was never bored. I liked going to school..

j. U. d. E.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 10:58:30 pm »
Intelligence score chart

Verbal                 100
Mathematics              60
Spatial                 32
Logic                         90
Pattern Recognition    50
General Knowledge     90
Short Term Memory    75
Visualization                72
Classification               40
 such poor spatial skills!!!!

Intelligence percentile chart

Verbal                      94
Mathematics                  54
Spatial                       4
Logic                              95
Pattern Recognition        25
General Knowledge       85
Short Term Memory     65
Visualization                     56
Classification                    8

Mental abilities have the highest correlation with general intelligence of all objectively measurable abilities and they are the primary focus of this test. Furthermore the mental abilities targeted for measurement were specifically chosen because they have been shown to correlate highly with many other abilities. The graphs below show how you scored in various abilities such as pattern recognition and logical reasoning - skills which are all reliable predictors of academic achievement.

Strengths and weaknesses

Your highest score was in Verbal

Exceptional intelligence does not guarantee results -- to achieve excellence you must fully understand your strengths and learn to maximize your efforts. Knowing your greatest intellectual strength may give you insight into how you can improve your learning process, work better with others, or become more self aware of your abilities. According to this test your verbal skills are the most developed of all your intellectual capabilities - your capability to use language effectively and to communicate well is your biggest strength.

Your lowest score was in Spatial

Weaknesses are the roadblocks we face when trying to achieve our goals. Awareness of your weaknesses allows you to predict problems and find solutions ahead of time, thereby alleviating future headaches. According to this test your spatial skills are the most underdeveloped of all your intellectual capabilities - your capability to manipulate 3-D objects in space is your biggest weakness.

The total score was 122 but I can't find it on the site now, so much for spatial skills: I get lost ALL THE TIME ..

Also I can't quite figure this test-- the total IQ seems too high, I'm not that smart and can't be THAT bad with spatial--I designed gardens until very recently but honestly, never made any plans, just had the knack for leaf and form and did it onsite with the client. always always worked out.

But the verbal, yeah, when I set my mind to it I'm very perceptive, very communicative, can do a very good job.
Oddly enough I have decided to not try but BE a writer. A good one. And that stems directly from the changes caused by Brokeback.
I wrote a story about what went on within an average family, one which had a son/brother/nephew as a rescuer down at the WTC on 911--before, during and after the collapses--while they had no knowledge of his fate.

I sometimes have balls but not much confidence....and sent it to a prominent author.I asked her if it was any good. She said it was stunning, affected her so much she couldn't do any more work for the rest of the day...high praise form a person I'm in awe of, so high I wanted to run away.

I'm a real wack job. and the score is off, I'm no 122
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:01:47 pm by brokebackjack »
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 06:31:14 am »
118 is fine by me.

Total number of questions: 30
Questions answered: 29
Questions not answered: 1
Questions answered correctly: 22
Questions answered incorrectly: 8
Percentage correct answers: 73 %

Your age adjusted IQ score is 118 and the average score for all test takers is 100.

Your Grade ** Above Average **

Well done! Your score was above average and within two standard deviations of the mean score (top 85 to 97.73% of the population) Typically, people with scores in this range can see logic in their surroundings and perform very well academically. You like to conceptualize ideas and gather your own information which means that you have the brains to go far. You should be able to handle all academic challenges and if you think of intelligence as an ability to adapt adequately to new situations then you are heading in the right direction.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 09:24:58 pm »
Mine was 138.
I guess eevn a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"