Author Topic: Jake's father was a gay man?  (Read 12618 times)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Jake's father was a gay man?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 03:08:59 am »
Interestin, I read it this morning but hadn't seen the NY version in some time. Makes me wonder how big a fit she had when she saw it and realised they forgot to print the prologue LOL.

I think SS and film have to be taken separately and then together, each on its' own merits.

And, if AP herself thought the film brought what she intended to life, who am I to disagree?
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 11:27:32 am »
Interestin, I read it this morning but hadn't seen the NY version in some time. Makes me wonder how big a fit she had when she saw it and realised they forgot to print the prologue LOL.

I think SS and film have to be taken separately and then together, each on its' own merits.

And, if AP herself thought the film brought what she intended to life, who am I to disagree?

For myself, once I read the short the film seems very "watered down" and kind of "Hollywooded up" although still a good adaptation.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 11:29:15 am »
Thanks brokenbackjack and RossInIllinois

In those times of Ennis and Jack, there was no discussion about if Jack's father was a gay man (a homosexual). I think that in most countries even to-day (maybe even everywhere), if one is or is not a gay man, is still not a discussion!! But many will kill you if think think that you are!! - I say!!- as Although, many think that a gay man should and must be killed even!! A gay man has no right to talk neither, it seems to me!! Iran and other countries kill gays, for instance, line them up even, and they are shot by the government!! Because it is viril to kill anyone?? We are still in the cave days in 2007, I say!! Even on this site, most do not ask themselves: could Jack's father be a gay man!!?? Taboo is still this as a subject!!??

I am a gay man, I have lived in many places in the USA, I have lived in many places in Canada; I could never talk to most people about gay life (not even to gays!!), nor about mine nor about others being gay, too too rarely so, as this subject even seems to be a taboo in the gay communities too or somewhat so!! Even to-day, most gay sites on the internet, gay men talk about penises or frivolous subjects if I may say, not about real life of being a gay man!! So to ask oneself, or is/was your father a gay man, is absolutely rare a subject!!??

As somewhat in Annie's story, there is a law of silence (do not talk about gay life and do not ask if your father is gay, etc.), then and to-day!!?? I am not queer, says Ennis!! I am not neither, replies slowly Jack!!
That bothers me, as a gay person!! It is true that I heard that word queer, ih those days and still do,
not just by straights, also by gays - which puzzles me!! Why??

No one is even strong enough to dare ask about pedophia!!?? No one can!!?? It was too in the USA and Canada, that homosexuals were considered only pedophiles - not that long ago, and many still do that or think that!! Thanks goodness that we (gay persons I think it was) asked the journalists (newspapers writers and others) not to use that word concerning adult men having sex (etc.) with other adult men!! Most countries still think homosexuals are pedophiles, it seems so as even presidents of certain countries say so as they think so, being ignorants!!

The question I am asking, (is) Jack's father gay?, I think a respectable question that needs to be addressed in many ways yet!!??

Is Annie asking: is Jack's father a gay man, maybe she is asking that?

Thanks to all as all comments have been great!! Welcome to continue to talked about this, etc.,

hugs!!

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 11:41:26 am »
I don't feel the short or the move hints at all that Jacks father might be gay just angry and broken IMO. This would have taken away the focus of the story line.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 01:47:25 pm by RossInIllinois »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 11:48:31 am »
Thanks RossInIllinois!

You are right!!

However, there are underlined secondary plans that Annie talks about??

I feel that: Jack's father being maybe a gay person, is one.

It seems to me that Annie does take that as a subject!

Do you think?

Hugs!!

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 06:37:02 pm »
Thanks RossInIllinois!

You are right!!

However, there are underlined secondary plans that Annie talks about??

I feel that: Jack's father being maybe a gay person, is one.

It seems to me that Annie does take that as a subject!

Do you think?

Hugs!!

Hmmm I don't really see it that way but I could be wrong.   :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 11:09:10 pm »
Thanks RossInIllinois!!

There are secondary subjects that Annies takes seriously, and others maybe she just hints or starts at it,
it seems to me.

Jack's father was a gay man? May I take this question in another way? Like do you feel that Annie talks about LOVE mainly or HOMOSEXUALITY?

Hugs!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 11:15:33 pm »

Jack's father was a gay man? May I take this question in another way? Like do you feel that Annie talks about LOVE mainly or HOMOSEXUALITY?

I think Annie talks about love from a homosexual viewpoint. And she did an amazing job.

Just my 2 cents!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:16 pm »
Thanks David!

Your comment seems so to most readers or viewers of the movie, maybe??

You say:
I think Annie talks about love from a homosexual viewpoint. And she did an amazing job.

I will not disprove that Annie does not do an amazing job. Concerning your other line, I am questionning that!!

I would appreciate you answering this question:
Jack's father was a gay man?

Hugs!

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 11:55:24 am »
For myself, once I read the short the film seems very "watered down" and kind of "Hollywooded up" although still a good adaptation.

To me the mainHollywoodized aspect is that Ennis and Jack went from raunchy, unattractive characters in the SS to the obviously top tier good looking young men audiences line up for.

Other than that, I think Lee did a better job at communicating the essense of the relationship than the book alone was able to do. The integration of the sound track, Ledger's unbelievablely superb verbal and non verbal expressions and communications, and Lee's magically real ability to establish scenes that crystalize and propel meaning far outperformed the style Proulx uses, to me.