Author Topic: Least Favorite Character in BBM  (Read 47179 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Least Favorite Character in BBM
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2008, 07:03:41 pm »
Have heard a rather nauseating array of arguments spinning or softening what he did (most of the "it's just their culture" variety)

:o :o :o

Wow. From whom?

(And just to clarify, the quote in your post above this one was actually JudgeHolden's. I screwed up in my previous post and didn't put his quote in quotes when I quoted it.)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2008, 07:49:26 pm »
Well my most favoite extra in the movie was Alexandra Hager, a resident of Rockyford, Alberta, who knocked Jake Gyllenhaal down by accident and then fled the scene in terror.

(You owe me, Jake!  :laugh: )
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2008, 08:53:15 pm »
Well my most favoite extra in the movie was Alexandra Hager, a resident of Rockyford, Alberta, who knocked Jake Gyllenhaal down by accident and then fled the scene in terror.

(You owe me, Jake!  :laugh: )

Now this really raises my curiosity.  Do elaborate!  How did she knock Jake down??  What scene was the extra in?

Except that LeShawn is a bit more direct about feeling that she married beneath her.  And that could have surfaced pretty early in the marriage.

I'd guess that Jack was probably very used to Lureen's parents - an particularly L.D.-  making it pretty clear that she married "beneath" her.  I get the sense that in many cases (especially where Lureen's parents are concerned) that Jack and Lureen are allies.  So, at least in the family context I don't think that Lureen would have pushed the idea that Jack was "beneath" her.  But, again, I do think that all the people at the dinner dance are probably making Jack feel very out of place as the only one at the table with a limited education.  He can't even really participate in a conversation that's about college football, sororities and majors.  Around the time that they were all in college, he was on the mountain with Ennis. 

And, I do agree that LaShawn was putting Randall down a bit in the conversation at dinner.  But, I think a lot of couples do this thinking that they're being funny or joshing each other... or giving each other a hard time in a humorous way with a wink and a nudge.  And, sometimes I think it definitely can become annoying or grating to one or the other of the individuals in the couple after a while.  I don't know that we really know enough about the full context of the relationship between LaShawn and Randall to understand all the dynamics between them.  I do think Lureen and LaShawn understand each other... or at least have a gut feeling that they can understand one another about their marital situations.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:25:02 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2008, 01:21:17 am »
Now this really raises my curiosity.  Do elaborate!  How did she knock Jake down??  What scene was the extra in?

Oh yeah, we talked to her mom in "JT's Bar" in "Riverton," after the Rockyford Rodeo.  I forget the details, but I remember her mom telling the story.

But, again, I do think that all the people at the dinner dance are probably making Jack feel very out of place as the only one at the table with a limited education.  He can't even really participate in a conversation that's about college football, sororities and marriages.  Around the time that they were all in college, he was on the mountain with Ennis

Oh, good point, A, I never thought of it that way!  In terms of "marrying beneath" and "high society" and other social terms that reference up and down, at that time, Jack was on the top of a mountain with Ennis, looking down on it all, and nothing seemed wrong.  He was luckier than even the fanciest college-goer, that way.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2008, 08:19:48 am »
I voted for Ennis' father.  Have heard a rather nauseating array of arguments spinning or softening what he did (most of the "it's just their culture" variety) but I don't know....

There's just something about beating a man to a pulp, dragging him around by the genitals until they get ripped off and then taking your two young sons to show off the body to that seems.... well, you know.... sort of rude.   :P
I don´t know if trying to explain his behavior is the same thing as "softening" it

Rude? thats one way of putting it ;D

But again, the reason I feel more annoyed with JT is, I think, due to the fact that we get to see his hatred face to face so to say, though Ennis´s dad remains somewhat of a mystery.

Btw. JT and Ennis´s dad might have been good friends, dont you think? 8)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2008, 09:21:58 am »
Btw. JT and Ennis´s dad might have been good friends, dont you think? 8)

They would have had a lot in common, sure enough. But Ennis' dad was without question a homophobe, and possibly even a homophobic murderer. Whereas JT shows no evidence of being particularly homophobic.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2008, 09:28:06 am »

She was one of hundreds of people in the stands at the rodeo where Jack meets Lureen. Her mother, Bonny, who is a cook at the hotel in Rockyford, says she can picker her out in the crowd.

The story Bonny told was that her daughter turned quickly and ran straight in to Jake, knocking him on the ground. She was so mortified she then ran away.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2008, 09:28:38 am »

Oh, good point, A, I never thought of it that way!  In terms of "marrying beneath" and "high society" and other social terms that reference up and down, at that time, Jack was on the top of a mountain with Ennis, looking down on it all, and nothing seemed wrong.  He was luckier than even the fanciest college-goer, that way.

Thanks Bud.  Yep, I've always thought the dinner dance was particularly relevant to the idea of Jack being a "black sheep" or an outsider.

And, LOL, in re-reading my post I realize I made a typo/content error... I meant to write
"He can't even really participate in a conversation that's about college football, sororities and majors." (not marriages)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2008, 09:32:48 am »
I've always thought the dinner dance was particularly relevant to the idea of Jack being a "black sheep" or an outsider.

Boy, he did look mighty fine all in black with that leather sports coat though!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2008, 09:41:19 am »
Did Jack wanted to be a black sheep ?