Author Topic: Least Favorite Character in BBM  (Read 47175 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Least Favorite Character in BBM
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2008, 09:51:44 am »
She was one of hundreds of people in the stands at the rodeo where Jack meets Lureen. Her mother, Bonny, who is a cook at the hotel in Rockyford, says she can picker her out in the crowd.

The story Bonny told was that her daughter turned quickly and ran straight in to Jake, knocking him on the ground. She was so mortified she then ran away.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Now that really would be embarassing!!  I don't think I've ever bumped into anyone hard enough to actually knock them over... and needless to say, especially not a celebrity.  The fact that it was one of the stars of the movie just makes the whole situation even wackier.

Boy, he did look mighty fine all in black with that leather sports coat though!  ;D

Yes!  Absolutely,  when you look at him in contrast to almost everyone else in the crowd at the event, Jack really sticks out in his especially dark clothing.

I think there's a bit of foreshadowing here about Jack's death too... the ominous color and the discussion about the broken down pick up that occurs with LaShawn while they dance.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2008, 10:30:58 am »
Yes!  Absolutely,  when you look at him in contrast to almost everyone else in the crowd at the event, Jack really sticks out in his especially dark clothing.

I think there's a bit of foreshadowing here about Jack's death too... the ominous color and the discussion about the broken down pick up that occurs with LaShawn while they dance.

Never thought about the foreshadowing there but now that you point it out it's almost obvious!
Great observation! :)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2008, 11:10:14 am »
:o :o :o

Wow. From whom?

It was on another forum, and my taking issue with it was my first, and hopefully only, experience with getting hate mail.  That wasn't a reference to anyone here.

That Ennis' father was the one who killed Earl -- or, more likely, part of a group of men who did -- is my interpretation, of course.  It's based on references in both the ss and movie.  In the ss Ennis says during the Motel scene:

If he was alive and was to put his head in that door right now you bet he’d go get his tire iron.

Ennis doesn't say that his father would have beaten the crap out of him or disowned him, he specifically refers to a lethal physical attack.  IMO, that's a reflection of a gut feeling he'd always had about his father. 

In the movie, Ennis says that his father might have done it "for all I know," which isn't as definite a statement. However, the flashback clearly shows Earl's body just as it was left and it evidently hadn't been found yet.  But Ennis' father knows exactly where it is, and makes sure that he takes his sons to see it before it's discovered.

There's no telling what he'd done to his daughter too, by the time he did the world a favor and drove off the road.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 01:51:54 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2008, 11:33:50 am »
It was on another forum, and my taking issue with it was my first, and hopefully only, experience with getting hate mail.  That wasn't a reference to anyone here.

That Ennis' father was the one who killed Earl -- or, more likely, part of a group of men who did -- is my interpretation, of course.  It's based on references in both the ss and movie.  In the ss Ennis says during the Motel scene:

If he was alive and was to put his head in that door right now you bet he’d go get his tire iron.

Ennis doesn't say that his father would have beaten the crap out of him or disowned him, he specifically refers to a letal physical attack.  IMO, that's a reflection of a gut feeling he'd always had about his father. 

In the movie, Ennis says that his father might have done it "for all I know," which isn't as definite a statement. However, the flashback clearly shows Earl's body just as it was left and it evidently hadn't been found yet.  But Ennis' father knows exactly where it is, and makes sure that he takes his sons to see it before it's discovered.

There's no telling what he'd done to his daughter too, by the time he did the world a favor and drove off the road.
I thought it was a pretty clear impression that Mr DelMar either did it or was involved. You give the examples to support that conclusion.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2008, 11:36:07 am »
Mr Newsome really got on my nerves! He was my one and only vote, I wish I could make it count as 3 votes.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2008, 11:36:47 am »
I got a hard time watching it too, but because I lived it, and I know too well what comes later, when the couples part ways and drive home in silence to their resentment and obligation-filled homes. That kind of silence between man and wife can lie so thick on the dark bedroom it seems only a gunshot can break it.

Me too.
Itis so true. :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2008, 12:27:36 pm »
Now that really would be embarassing!!  I don't think I've ever bumped into anyone hard enough to actually knock them over... and needless to say, especially not a celebrity.  The fact that it was one of the stars of the movie just makes the whole situation even wackier.

Though if she'd have stuck around and reached down to give him a hand up, who knows where it might have led! I had a friend in junior high who had a crush on Paul McCartney. Her plan to meet him was to park outside his house and then ram into his car when he came out.

:laugh:

However, the flashback clearly shows Earl's body just as it was left and it evidently hadn't been found yet.  But Ennis' father knows exactly where it is, and makes sure that he takes his sons to see it before it's discovered.

Good point. Even the best-case scenario -- that he somehow heard of it before the sheriff did but wasn't directly involved -- is still pretty bad.

I did once know someone to make a tongue-in-cheek argument that Mr. Del Mar took his sons to see Earl out of concern for their welfare and safety ("Be careful, boys, this is a homophobic society, so if you happen to be gay, be sure to be discrete!"). But unless you buy that, there's really no way around it -- Ennis' dad was evil. Ennis must have grown up in a state of contant terror.

Mr Newsome really got on my nerves! He was my one and only vote, I wish I could make it count as 3 votes.

Nice to see you around these parts, brokeplex!  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »
Though if she'd have stuck around and reached down to give him a hand up, who knows where it might have led! I had a friend in junior high who had a crush on Paul McCartney. Her plan to meet him was to park outside his house and then ram into his car when he came out.

:laugh:

:laugh:  I'm still trying to envision how the situation with Jake took place.  I mean, Jake seems like a pretty sturdy boy... to actually bump into him hard enough for him to topple over... it must have been one seriously forceful bump.  And the fact that she just high-tailed it out of there is also sort of funny.  I keep having Charlie Chaplin-like scenarios run through my head with this story.

Good point. Even the best-case scenario -- that he somehow heard of it before the sheriff did but wasn't directly involved -- is still pretty bad.

I did once know someone to make a tongue-in-cheek argument that Mr. Del Mar took his sons to see Earl out of concern for their welfare and safety ("Be careful, boys, this is a homophobic society, so if you happen to be gay, be sure to be discrete!"). But unless you buy that, there's really no way around it -- Ennis' dad was evil. Ennis must have grown up in a state of contant terror.

Yes, I agee that Ennis's Dad's knowledge of the incident, possible direct involvement and interest in showing off the body... especially to young children who would have been terrified (regardless of their own future sexuality) make him a particularly dreadful character.  If nothing else, dragging children to see a murdered body seems to amount to pretty intense child abuse on a psychological level.

Thinking about Ennis's Dad is interesting compared to other characters on the list... because our only knowledge about him in either the film or the story comes through the filter of Ennis's memory/ description.  We don't encounter him as a living, active character in the same way that we do other characters on this list.  At least we meet OMT "ourselves' in the Lightning Flat scene and can make some judgments independent of another character's perspective.  In the film, I think they show Ennis's Dad as headless, faceless and voiceless... because he's only a semi-character.  For Ennis as an adult his Father is something of a conduit or symbol that helps carry Ennis's fears along I think.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2008, 01:58:14 pm »

Part of the rationalization I read was that this was the equivalent of shooting a dangerous animal in the neighborhood -- i.e., the Ennis' good ole dad had the best of motives in trying to protect his family from a man whom he thought was a threat to them, especially to his sons.

Horse puckey.

I live in an agricultural area -- beef cattle farming, to be exact -- and farmers around here have no compunction whatsoever about shooting a dog, a coyote, anything that's threatening their livestock. And I'm sure some of my neighbors have shot rabid dogs and other animals as well; and if an animal that can give you rabies isn't a deadly threat, I don't know what is.

However, the MO in these cases is you shoot the animal, kill it as quickly and cleanly as possible, get it over with.  Anyone who went to great lengths to torture and terrorize and degrade the animal, show the mutilated body to their children and then laugh about it would be regarded by their neighbors, and quite rightly, as a dangerous sicko.

Lureen's father, I've heard suggestions that he might have had something to do with Jack's death. Don't see much basis for that, but I'm sure he would have felt, and expressed, some satisfaction in a circumstance where he didn't think he would be challenged.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2008, 02:28:11 pm »
Yes, I agee that Ennis's Dad's knowledge of the incident, possible direct involvement and interest in showing off the body... especially to young children who would have been terrified (regardless of their own future sexuality) make him a particularly dreadful character.  If nothing else, dragging children to see a murdered body seems to amount to pretty intense child abuse on a psychological level.  Thinking about Ennis's Dad is interesting compared to other characters on the list... because our only knowledge about him in either the film or the story comes through the filter of Ennis's memory/ description.  We don't encounter him as a living, active character in the same way that we do other characters on this list. 

Yes, we do see Ennis' father only second-hand and it's interesting that he's faceless in the movie, which is just as well -- everything a reader/viewer really needs to know about him is in Ennis' narration (ss) or the flashback (film). But the way the plot unfolds, the biblical phrase the sins of the fathers are visited on the children is pretty apt.

I'm in a strange mood today though, and what came to mind, when I started thinking about this again, was a quote from one of my favorite popular novelists, Dean Koontz:

There are no explanations for evil.  Only excuses.

(Again, not a reference to any comments posted here.)