Author Topic: HUD (1963)  (Read 12495 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: HUD (1963)
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 01:19:09 pm »
Does anybody who's seen the film think that Hud actually raped Alma?

My gut reaction from memory is that it was attempted rape, but no penetration actually took place. But it's been quite some time since I last saw the film--sometime back in the winter, I think, so my memory may well be faulted.

The other thing I can't remember, which might have some bearing on Alma's leaving town, was whether she leaves before or after the Melvin Douglas character (Hud's father/Brandon deWilde's grandfather) dies?

Totally way OT here, but the bus station scene made me think of this: Ever notice how people in movies (except, maybe for comedies) always have such little suitcases?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 12:02:24 pm »
Southend Paul, thanks for reviving this thread after more than 3 years, BTW.  To answer your earlier question, Mr. Newman often played semi-unsavory characters, IMO, in his career -- Brick in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", Luke in "Cool Hand Luke", Butch in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (my fave movie ever), Gondorff in "The Sting", etc.  I think he enjoyed the contradiction between playing a bad guy on screen, and being such a good guy in real life.  He's one of the greatest actors of all time, and a legend as far as I'm concerned.

Heya Jeff, thanks for your input!  The father/grandfather is still alive when Alma decides she has to leave.  It's the fight between the drunken Hud and his father that causes all the ruckus that starts the incident.  Hud's father walks in on Hud, and he now knows of Huds' legal plans to take away his ownership of the ranch, and the father says something like "I can't believe a man like you could ever come from me", and Hud retorts with something like "for the same reason any man does -- it's because of what's going on under his belt", and then his father slams the door in his face.  That's part of the reason Hud goes out and bitterly grabs onto the first woman that comes into his drunken sight.

And yes, I *have* noticed small suitcases in many movies about travel.  Always makes me wonder, trying to figure out the least amount of objects that I could survive with if I was forced to fit it all into one suitcase.  Geez, I hope that never happens...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:47:52 pm »
I've been rentin' all these on Netflix too recently.  I saw both HUD and Last Picture Show a few weeks ago.  :D

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 12:50:03 am »
Any thoughts you wanna share on either of the above?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:20:01 pm »
Any thoughts you wanna share on either of the above?

I liked both..  :D

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 01:47:36 pm »
I've been rentin' all these on Netflix too recently.  I saw both HUD and Last Picture Show a few weeks ago.  :D

I have never quite recovered from the image of Cloris Leachman having sex.  :o
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 01:52:35 pm »

Eeek!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:00:06 pm »
I liked both..  :D

You're a man of few words!

She was only 45 at the time!  I thought she was brilliant.  She won an Oscar too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 02:14:42 pm »
She was only 45 at the time!  I thought she was brilliant.  She won an Oscar too.

I think the point is that it was Cloris Leachman, not her age. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »
I recently saw CL as a judge on RuPaul's Drag Race, man she looks younger now than she did at 45!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."