Author Topic: The Lovely Kate Mara  (Read 8037 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The Lovely Kate Mara
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:13:22 am »
Here's a pretty picture I found of Kate Mara on Yahoo! Movies today - from the "Shooter" premiere.

The reviews say it's over-the-top, but for some strange reason, I'm drawn to the storyline of a highly-talented Marine sharpshooter who's disillusioned by the powers that be.

;)

Too bad Mark Wahlberg's playing him, though.  As much as he pleasantly surprised me in "The Departed," he's still not enough of a draw for me to carry a whole movie.  "Invincible," anyone?

:P
No more beans!

moremojo

Re: The Lovely Kate Mara
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:22:01 pm »
Ms. Mara is looking quite lovely and glamorous there. I've seen some commercials for Shooter, and was pleased when I recognized Mara therein. Just the sound of her voice, and her intonation of her lines, quietly moved me. I'm not sure I'll ever completely divorce her mentally from young lady Alma Junior; she played this role to perfection.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:47:58 pm »
Ms. Mara is looking quite lovely and glamorous there. I've seen some commercials for Shooter, and was pleased when I recognized Mara therein. Just the sound of her voice, and her intonation of her lines, quietly moved me. I'm not sure I'll ever completely divorce her mentally from young lady Alma Junior; she played this role to perfection.

I agree.  Like Heath and Jake, she created a character that exists outside of her.  I'll always have a special fondness for Junior in my heart.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:04:48 pm »
Too bad Mark Wahlberg's playing him, though.  As much as he pleasantly surprised me in "The Departed," he's still not enough of a draw for me to carry a whole movie.  "Invincible," anyone?

I, on the other hand, used to like Mark Wahlberg  -- maybe not to carry a whole movie, but I liked him. Then I read his comments about BBM. Have you seen them? Someone posted them on imdb (though I couldn't find the original source online, so take it for what it's worth). Anyway, it really cooled me on MW. Too bad.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 02:17:20 pm »
OK, I fetched the comments posted on imdb. They're apparently from an interview with Mark Wahlberg in Premiere magazine. Again, I want to emphasize that I looked for the interview on the Premiere site and couldn't find it, so I can't say for sure if the imdb poster (whose comments appear between the quotes below) is quoting him accurately -- or, for that matter, if Premiere quoted him accurately. But I can't feel the same way about MW anymore.

[Apparently Mark Wahlberg was asked about BBM because he's working with Kate Mara.}

“Come to think of it, I didn’t’ see Brokeback Mountain. I missed it!” He snaps his fingers like “damn!” “But I’m dying to get a copy of it.

He then reveals that he was approached by Ang Lee to possibly do the film. Whalberg’s reaction?

”I read 15 pages of the script and got a little creeped out. It was very graphic, descriptive – the spitting on the hand, gettin’ ready to do the thing…” He smiles self-consciously. “At one point they were talking about Joaquin [Phoenix] being in the film. Joaquin, I know, and [we] like each other a lot. I think of him like a brother. You know, I’ve kissed my brother before, not like that, not passionate, you know. So it was like, uh, I was kind of freaked out. But I told Ang, ‘I like you, you’re a talented guy if you want to talk about it more…’ But, uh, [chuckles] thankfully, he didn’t, uh, he didn’t call me again.”

Can’t imagine why!

After admitting that his mother “loves it” he then relates how his gay make up artist, who thinks its “the best movie ever made!” tried to play the film for him and “all the guys” in his trailer during the filming of “Invincible.”

“All football guys, macho *beep* through the roof. So he comes in [high, sing-song voice], ‘It’s movie day! You guys gotta watch this movie!’ After five or six minutes, most of the trailer is empty.”

He sums up:

“I didn’t rush to see Brokeback, it’s just not my deal. And I know how talented Ang Lee is. Obviously, it was done in taste – look how it was received. And it’s a beautiful thing. Its just not necessarily my thing.” On the other hand, he comments – “I don’t how many times I saw Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly in Bound – loved it.”

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 04:06:45 pm »
I disliked him to begin with (as you know).  And then his comments about BBM confirmed my suspicions.

If anyone else needs anyone judged based on the light (or lack thereof) that shines from his or her eyes, let me know.  I'm batting 1.000 so far.  :)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:40:22 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:20:06 pm »
Yeah, what little respect I had for Wahlberg just took a nose dive.  He's homophobic and just doesn't want to admit it.

The movie 'The Shooter' looks extremely formulaic and typical Hollywood action predictable fluff.  I'm going to give it a big PASS.  I'm fairly certain it won't last long at the theaters either.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:59:44 pm »
But Kate Mara is blossoming wonderfully, I bet she will be a major player in a few years.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 09:13:11 pm »
**sigh**

Unfortunately, a dear friend was having a work-angst day and I just spent the day with her, talking, eating out, drinking and trying to both discuss and take her mind off her situation at school.  We ate bad for us food, drank too much and read trashy magazines at the bookstore and because she was really hurting and a big fan of Mark Wahlberg...

I agreed to go see The Shooter with her.  I put my brief review on the movie thread, but here it is again...the things you do for friends:

The Shooter   5/10

The plot was conventional and formulaic, but points for the sidekick being ethnic, the woman actually able to use a gun and of course, points for Marky Mark's obligatory shirtless scenes, worth the price of admission alone.

Amazingly, the plot is politically balanced, showing neither support nor contempt for our current administration.

But all you pacificists and our lovely European fans, be warned it is a strictly gun culture American shoot 'em up.  In one scene, we learn that the valued memento mori of one character is a rifle left to them by a dead loved one.  :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 11:02:28 pm by delalluvia »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 10:08:07 pm »
I hear you, Del.  I was kind of coerced into seeing it yesterday with/by a friend, myself.  I'd give it a 6/10.  Here's what I liked:

*POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD*

- Kate's and Mark's characters didn't end up having sex - hell - they didn't end up even making out.  I liked that because Kate's character is supposed to still be mourning her deceased boyfriend/Swagger's best friend and spotter.  I truly believed that most, if not all, of what she did was out of honoring his memory and not out of being horny for Swagger

- I thought it actually was an indictment against the Bush Administration.  But it was subtle enough in it that most Bushies would not recognize it (because let's face it: most of them are not that bright).  But you gotta admit, the lines "Some have been thugs" (talking about recent Presidents) and "What kind of asshole would think something like this up?" (about, basically, The Patriot Act) were pretty damning.

- Michael Pena has a natural warmth that comes right through the screen.  As much as I'd like to hate him because he was in "Crash," I can't because he just seems like such a lovely human being.  If not for him, though, I'd have given it a 5/10 - maybe even a 4/10 - for the reasons you cited.

No more beans!