Author Topic: Master and Commander  (Read 13768 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Master and Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 05:14:13 pm »
Wow, I love those pictures, shortfiction!  I'm jealous that you got to be at the wheel of Surprise:P

The Star of India looks amazing.  I wonder what the deal is with the bowsprit?  Were they leaning one of the masts on it?  It can't be that huge.  ???

You're right, that tourist looks a lot like Russell Crowe!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 07:23:51 pm »

The replica of the Mayflower was here in Portland several years ago.  My husband and grandaughter and I toured it.  The thing that struck me about it.  Was how tiny it was.  All those people on there.  The animals and cargo..holy cow it must have had a very bad smell.  and so cramped..But it was very interesting to see and I loved it.

Beautiful mind

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 07:36:45 pm »
Wow, I love those pictures, shortfiction!  I'm jealous that you got to be at the wheel of Surprise:P

The Star of India looks amazing.  I wonder what the deal is with the bowsprit?  Were they leaning one of the masts on it?  It can't be that huge.  ???

You're right, that tourist looks a lot like Russell Crowe!  ;D

If you're referring to the object on the left side of the pic, that's actually part of a restaurant roof.  It just looks like part of the ship is touching it.    They had to use tugboats to get the ship out and back in again, as it is quite old and needs help, like grandmother with a walker.    :)

I had a great vantage point.    What you could not see was the band on the deck, playing sea chanteys.   This all took place about 3 years ago, on Veterans Day weekend, which is the only time of the year when the ship goes out of the dock.

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 12:45:06 am »
If you're referring to the object on the left side of the pic, that's actually part of a restaurant roof.  It just looks like part of the ship is touching it.    They had to use tugboats to get the ship out and back in again, as it is quite old and needs help, like grandmother with a walker.

No, I mean that thing that looks like a telephone pole leaning toward the restaurant.  It looks like it might be the foremast about to be raised up or something.  The bowsprit wouldn't be that long, surely.  ???
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 12:34:50 pm »
No, I mean that thing that looks like a telephone pole leaning toward the restaurant.  It looks like it might be the foremast about to be raised up or something.  The bowsprit wouldn't be that long, surely.  ???

You could be right.  I looked at some other pics I took at different angles and that "pole" is there but it has canvas sails kind of rolled up on it, so your theory is probably correct.

"We knew the merry world was round/And we might sail forever more" --  Tennyson

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 08:04:09 pm »
I also have, not surprisingly, a bunch of M&C merchandise:  soundtrack, two disc special edition DVD, keychain, ship in a bottle, magnet, postcard, two posters.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 11:33:02 pm »
You're way ahead of me in the 'stuff' department.  I do have the soundtrack and special edition DVD, though.  :)

I'm a few chapters into a book about the history of the Royal Navy, To Rule the Waves by Arthur Herman.  It's nice to have a refresher course in British (and world) history, and it's not too dry and "bookish."  I never knew Sir Francis Drake was such a scamp!  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 11:55:01 pm »
    Sounds good to me!     I should also mention that I have watched The Bounty about a dozen or twenty times.     Man....what is it about those ships?   

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 06:28:35 pm »
I LOVE Master and Commander! I loved the movie so much I ended up buying the DVD!

I really enjoyed the music. The movie featured "The Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G" by J.S. Bach which is one of my favorites to play on the cello.

I also love to play Concerto Grosso Op. 6 by Corelli on the violin; another work featured in the movie.

The film is well acted and the scenery is spectacular.

I love any movie about those large wooden sailing ships of the past. If you enjoyed "Master and Commander" you might also like "The Bounty" with Mel Gibson.  :D

Oh, I love The Bounty and must have watched it about 20 times.    Have you seen Russell Crowe in The Sum of Us?  I just watched it today.  It came out in 1995 and he played a gay man living with his dad.  It was sort of a comedy/drama.