Author Topic: Jack's truck??  (Read 17417 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jack's truck??
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2007, 01:21:11 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

Been missing you! And EDlmar!!

How did he get that truck?

Hugs, hugs to you both!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2007, 05:37:50 pm »
We've been here! Even when we're climbing mountains or braving the wild North of Saskatchewan, we've been here!

I don't know the details, but my understanding is that EDelMar bought that truck from the props master for the movie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2007, 07:08:44 pm »
He's got the truck, but I've got the picture!!

Nothin finer than a cowboy and his truck! ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2007, 12:24:36 pm »
Nothin finer than a cowboy and his truck! ;D
I'll see you on that, and raise you a license plate with "Ennis" on it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2007, 12:31:22 pm »
I'll see you on that, and raise you a license plate with "Ennis" on it!!

Ain't it the truth!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2007, 11:19:23 pm »
Reply to moremojo from April 16  who posted the following comment seeking info about the possibility that the First Night in the Tent was filmed on a sound stage in Calgary:
'We need CaseyCornelius back here to enlighten us on these kinds of production details. Casey, where are you?'

Sorry, moremojo, I've been missing in actiion for a while, but have to answer your query.

Working for Calgary Opera I'm in contact all the time with stage and film production artists who worked on Brokeback - including, if I may be permitted to drop a few names, Val Planche/the Waitress [who had her part cut out of the film, but is still credited because Ang Lee felt bad about having to excise it]; Duvall Lang/the Rodeo Announcer; and David Trimble/the Basque [who just played Lillas Pastia in the Calgary Opera production of Carmen].

More to your question, and I cannot believe the serendipity of coming upon your post - the Stage Manager for Calgary Opera is married to Chris Sprague, one of the two credited Gaffers on Brokeback.  We were shooting the breeze a few days ago, talking about her own film work and her husband's, and she ended up saying how great he had found it to work on Brokeback, a special satisfaction of his being that he had lit the First Night in the Tent scene on the Calgary sound stage.

So there you have it.

Casey Cornelius
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:55:56 pm by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2007, 11:44:22 pm »
Reply to moremojo from April 16  who posted the following comment seeking info about the possibility that the First Night in the Tent was filmed on a sound stage in Calgary:
'We need CaseyCornelius back here to enlighten us on these kinds of production details. Casey, where are you?'

Sorry, moremojo, I've been missing in actiion for a while, but have to answer your query.

Working for Calgary Opera I'm in contact all the time with stage and film production artists who worked on Brokeback - including, if I may be permitted to drop a few names, Val Planche/the Waitress [who had her part cut out of the film, but is still credited because Ang Lee felt bad about having to excise it]; Duvall Lang/the Rodeo Announcer; and David Trimble/the Basque [who just played Lilas Pastia in the Calgary Opera production of Carmen].

More to your question, and I cannot believe the serendipity of coming upon your post - the Stage Manager for Calgary Opera is married to Chris Sprague, one of the two credited Gaffers on Brokeback.  We were shooting the breeze a few days ago, talking about her own film work and her husbands, and she ended up saying how great he had found it to work on Brokeback, a special satisfaction being that he had lit the First Night in the Tent scene on the Calgary sound stage.

So there you have it.

Casey Cornelius

Hey, Casey, that's really interesting about the connection between Brokeback and the opera.  I love that David Trimble was Lillas Pastia!  8)

It is serendipitous that you came by tonight, since I was about to PM you about the Alberta Pilgrimage this July.  I hope you'll be in town when we all descend on Brokeback Country, because we all want to meet you, and I especially would like to trade opera stories with you.  Did you notice the child board for the Alberta trip?  Here's the link: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/board,52.0.html.  I'll drop you a PM soon.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2007, 12:09:24 am »
Hey, Meryl !

I'm definitely around during the summer and had thought about at the very least dropping by the Ranchman's Friday night dinner and maybe hooking up with the other pilgrims at the Full Moon gathering.  A guilty pleasure of mine is visiting all of the other sights you're planning to attend in my normal trips around the city and into the mountains and around Alberta., so I probably will not join those tours earlier in the week.   
Can't keep from being aware of the various locations as I run errands around town. 
It's unfortunate that several of them have been demolished or are soon to be under the wreckers ball as the findingbrokeback.com site indicates - those already demolished include the "Honey/Blue Parka searching" interior location, the Newsome Farm Equipment offices and Jack's Thanksgiving House.  The King [Eddy] Edward Hotel, location for the Jimbo the Rodeo Clown Bar, is boarded up and the downtown Legion Hall, site of the Childress 1978 La Shawn dance, is set to be demolished shortly for a new office tower.

Was up having dinner in the revolving restaurant at the top of the Calgary Tower a month ago, pointing out the various remaining locations within sight to a colleague from out of town who was a huge fan of the film and could not believe that everything save the 10-second establishing shot of La Mesillas, NM was shot in and around Calgary.  I gleefully pointed down to the area where the 'Mexican alley' was shot, visible from our window as we were eating, and his mouth dropped open !

Yes, a little synchronous that David Trimble would have played the Basque and another quasi-Spanish character in Lillas Pastia.  Though, to be fair, I've seen him display his versatility in quite a few productions around town, most recently in Shaw's  SAINT JOAN for Theatre Calgary.  He's one of the busiest actors in town.

Casey
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:28:09 pm by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

moremojo

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2007, 05:21:34 pm »
Wow, Casey, thanks for that interesting and informative post! :D And so glad to see you around these parts again, pardner. :)

You are really in the thick of all things Brokeback in that big slice of paradise called Alberta! It must feel incredible to be surrounded by the people and places associated with it...and to have even worked with some of those folks no less. I unfortunately will not be making the Alberta trip, and I don't even know how I would handle finding myself in some of those spots...I feel I would be overwhelmed by emotion. Especially Beiseker, the site of Ennis's trailer...I think my heart would hurt so much standing on that holy ground.

That is so interesting that you work for Calgary Opera. I have some interest in opera, though my exposure to the genre has been somewhat limited. I was reading (last year, I think) of a Calgary production of 'Dead Man Walking' that sounded interesting. Were you by any chance involved in that production?

Thanks again for your response, and know that each time you drop in here is a welcome occasion for all the rest of us.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:54:41 pm by moremojo »

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2007, 08:53:23 pm »
One other "out door" scene was shot on the stage. It is the one in chapter 2 of the DVD where Jack is sitting at night smoking and is looking to Ennis in the far distance at the camp site. That whole scene of the camp in the far distance is phony (CGI) Green Screen effects.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:58:24 pm by RossInIllinois »