Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 48293 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2006, 10:48:56 pm »
Well,  I might as well go ahead and say this. When I first joined Bettermost I wasn't sure how people would react to it, but it appears there are some on this forum who study the Old Religions.

Up until about 10 years ago, I was very much involved in the Occult/Pagan religions. I studied Wicca for years. I also studied Kabala. I still have my crystal ball too! It is about the size of a soft ball, and it is very clear (hardly any bubbles).

Daniel, have you ever read the book "The 21 Lessons of Merlyn" by Douglas Monroe? I still have that book, and even though I no longer practice, I do get this book out from time to time and read it. It offers 21 courses in Celtic Druidism. It is very interesting. It contains teachings based on the 16th century manuscript "The Book of Pheryllt" and it even briefly touches on Alchemy, although I would not call this an actual Alchemy lesson. It is more like a walk through.... kind of an Alchemy 101 I  guess. I have some other books I have stored away in boxes over at my father's house. You have renewed my interest in this though, and I may  have to go over there and get them and bring them back to my house.

We use to have an Occult Book Store here in Indianapolis called "World of Wonder". I use to buy many of my supplies and equipment there. I'm not even sure if they are in business anymore. They were located on the southside of town and they sold a little bit of everything.   :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2006, 11:05:35 am »
Well,  I might as well go ahead and say this. When I first joined Bettermost I wasn't sure how people would react to it, but it appears there are some on this forum who study the Old Religions.

Yep.  ;D  You are wise to be cautious.  I've been run off boards before because of my religion.

Up until about 10 years ago, I was very much involved in the Occult/Pagan religions. I studied Wicca for years.

Just curious, why did you stop studying/leave?

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2006, 02:12:41 pm »
I most closely identify these days with the liberal Friends (Quakers) and attend a meeting once in awhile because it's a long drive for me.  I like them because they focus on the individual's relationship with spirit, there is no dogma, very little hierarchy, and they are tolerant and accepting of people in all their infinite varieties.  They also have a very strong record of promoting social justice, which is extremely important to me.

Here's some info to illustrate...Quakers have a testimony called the Truth testimony.  This is where we get the 'I swear or affirm...' when taking an oath.  Quakers maintain that because they are always called upon to tell the truth, there should not be a special version of truth for official occasions like testifying in court.  During the slavery period, Quakers were very active in the Underground Railroad.  When slave-hunters would come searching, a Quaker would state, 'There are no slaves here,'  which is truth to the Quaker, because in their belief system, no man could be enslaved.  From the earliest days of the Quaker movement, women have held roles equal in the church as men.  And many Quakers were instrumental in working for women's suffrage in the U.S.  Last but not least, most liberal Quaker congregations welcome gays and lesbians and will perform union ceremonies.
-Lynne

I was reading through this thread and stopped on yours. I relate very closely to the Quakers. They come from an Anabaptist history as does my church. I am Mennonite. The first thing I hear when I say “I am Mennonite” is, "where is your bonnet?" and then "where's your horse and buggy?" Needless to say, Amish and Mennonites are not the same thing (although some of the basic theology is similar). Mennonites are like any other people (especially in my region ... Indiana). What I like is that we are pacifists, are accepting of all cultures (sexual orientation is still a sticky subject. However, several Mennonite churches have openly gay parishioners), and are social activists. We often “do” instead of preach (i.e. it isn’t what we say that shows God’s goodness … like the “right-wingers” as I call them …. we act. This means rebuilding the golf coast, providing food and medicine and health personnel to regions in need, and being very active in the local communities. In all of this I am very proud. The idea of not judging others and to meet them where they are is key.

I struggle with spirituality and organized religion. I think part of it is because of the whole extreme right Christian conservatives that are corrupting our national landscape. What I know, however, that it is important for me to believe in God … a higher power … and to have my own relationship with Him/Her.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2006, 04:18:57 am »
This is a really interesting thread.  BUMP!