Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 48723 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 02:16:12 pm »
I was born and raised within a Catholic culture (I'm hispanic), but my religious education was quite a mess. On one hand, my Dad is atheist. He says he only believes in anything he can see, smell, hear or touch. On the other my mother, who grew up baptist, doesn't quite believe in God but thinks we all have a spiritual side.

Then, there were my grandparents. My grandpa (my dad's father) was a staunch God believer, but hated the Church and the priests to death. He said his relationship with God was a private matter and the Church had no business in it. He thought priests were a bunch of thieves and the Pope was a mafia boss. My Grandma, however, was an avid church goer and was always blaming it on the devil for anything negative or bad that would happen to her.

My other grandparents (my mom's parents) were a baptist and Church goers. They did everything in their power to get me and my siblings to at least get in the habit of  going to Church every Sunday, but failed miserably.

Then, to make things even more confusing, I went to Catholic school. Don't ask me why. But I had a happy childhood, which, in my opinion, is what really matters.

I guess I'm atheist.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:31:59 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 02:59:36 pm »
Hey, I thought this might be the right place for it.
Now BEAR with me if this is totally KNOWN and has been since the birth of the human race round your end! It is not known here (an American friend gave me this):

Religious views of life:

Taoism: Shit happens
Confucianism: Confucius says, shit happens
Buddhism: If shit happens, it isn't really shit
Zen: What is the sound of shit happening?
Hinduism: This shit happened before
Islam: If shit happens, it is the will of Allah
Protestantism: Let shit happen to someone else
Catholicism: If shit happens, you deserve it
Judaïsm: Why does this shit always happen to us?
Atheism: I don't believe this shit
Agnosticism: Is this shit for real?
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 04:57:58 pm »
Now BEAR with me if this is totally KNOWN and has been since the birth of the human race round your end! It is not known here (an American friend gave me this):

Religious views of life:

My friend has a shirt with those on, but it has a few more that I can't remember. I just remember the last one is:

Rastafarian: Let's smoke this shit!
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 05:00:17 pm »
Hahaha, that's a good one fuzzy, I'll write it down to add to my list.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 05:01:45 am »
  She thought the B'hai B'hai were pretty good, but apparently they were only pro-women on paper and not in actual practice.

Baha'i (only once) are a sect of Islam, founded in the 19th c. Islam considers them heretical because they have prophets after Mohammed, so they have been badly persecuted. Baha'is I have known, both women, were very good people. Baha'i say the role of women is co-equal with that of men, but whether that works out to full equality in practice I don't know.

moremojo

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 11:32:42 am »

Religious views of life:

My friend has a shirt with those on, but it has a few more that I can't remember. I just remember the last one is:

Rastafarian: Let's smoke this shit!
This all gave me a good chuckle for my Thursday morning! :laugh:

I have a humble addition to submit to the list:

Kashmir Saivism (a radically monist Hindu sect): I and the shit are One.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 11:54:27 am »
Thanks moremojo, I love it too!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline iheartBBM

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Harold Ramis Forever
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2006, 03:25:56 am »
Hi everybody. I'm new here.  I came here from the troll-plagued IMDb forum.  And I love the fact that the smileys have cowboy hats.

I checked "Protestant", as I am a happy little Episcopalian.

But now I just think that with all that goes on in the world that's so hateful and ugly and tragic, if there is a God, he is not only imperfect but at best indifferent and at worst wrathful.  I think it's just that I don't want to live in a world made by an indifferent or wrathful God so much that I'd rather believe there isn't one.  That it really is all random.  But I find peace in that - because when something extraordinarily beautiful comes out of randomness, that is the miracle.  I don't need a God to make that happen.

You know what, I do believe that "it really is all random" and I still believe in God.  I mean, the only way for God to NOT "allow" crime, murder, rape, hurricane Katrina, etc to happen would mean that God would have to control us like puppets.  I think we have free will, and I think nature has free will, and that's gives the world an element of chaos and randomness that is sometimes scary.  Just my two cents.  Then again, I'm just an ignorant kid and I have plenty of time for my opinions and beliefs to change, but that's what I think at the moment.
STRAIGHT but not NARROW

CHRISTIAN but not HOMOPHOBIC

:) :) :) :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2006, 04:15:34 pm »
You know what, I do believe that "it really is all random" and I still believe in God.  I mean, the only way for God to NOT "allow" crime, murder, rape, hurricane Katrina, etc to happen would mean that God would have to control us like puppets.  I think we have free will, and I think nature has free will, and that's gives the world an element of chaos and randomness that is sometimes scary.  Just my two cents.  Then again, I'm just an ignorant kid and I have plenty of time for my opinions and beliefs to change, but that's what I think at the moment.

Honey, I don't think you're the least bit ignorant (I know that's not quite what you meant, but humor me :)).  The fact that you're posting here speaks volumes for your lack of ignorance, actually.  And I don't think what I believe is the only possibility and that everyone else is wrong.  Actually one of my mantras is that anything is possible.  So who am I to say that one thing is more probable and another isn't?  No one has unequivocal proof either way, after all.
No more beans!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2006, 06:29:40 pm »
So who am I to say that one thing is more probable and another isn't?  No one has unequivocal proof either way, after all.

OK, try this one then (again, I hope it's not completely known and has been since the onset of humanity round your end, and I thought this was the right place for it  ::)):

It's official: Jesus was Irish

* He had 12 drinking friends
* He trained as a carpenter to work on the buildings
* He was unemployed
* He lived with his mother till he was 33
* He thought his mother was a virgin
* His mother thought he was God

Found this in Ireland. So it's official: The Irish have humour.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:13:12 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."