Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 142627 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2006, 09:52:58 am »
Sorry if this is unnessecary reminding but have Boys Don't Cry and Heavenly Creatures been mentioned yet?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.  I've seen both but own neither; they are definite future purchases as I slowly build up my collection.

Thanks for the reminder!   ;)
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2006, 12:56:46 pm »
I had posted this in CT, but thought it might be worth adding it to this thread as well. Forgive the repetition, but it might helpful for some people.

So I mentioned that I've been volunteering with LA's OutFest, the lgbt film festival. It's the longest continuously running film festival in LA, and will celebrate it's 25th anniversary next summer. Anyway, I've been working mostly as usher/ticket taker, and only worked one of their many parties. As usher I got to sit in on many films, and there have been some really good films this year that I'd highly recommend.

Keep your eyes out for C.R.A.Z.Y.  It's already hitting Canada, I believe. A beautifully film about a boy who's the fourth of five sons, dealing with his sexuality as well as his relationship with his brothers and his father. It's funny and evoked the 70's beautifully. It's also made great use of the soundtrack, which includes music from Pink Floyd, Bowie, Patsy Cline among others. The music didn't simply function as filler, but rather helped to tell the story. Definitely a dvd I'm looking forward to adding to my collections.
http://www.outfest.org/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4742

Reinas (Queens)  is a film out of Spain, featuring 5 actresses who are known as Amodovar's muses. It follows 6 gay men, their mothers and fathers, as they all prepare for Spain's first gay marriage ceremony. It's fun film with lots of absurd plot points that are funny and entertaining.
http://www.outfest.org/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4740

Un Amour à Taire (A Love to Hide) from France follows two gay men during the turmoil World War II. This is a film that hits hard emotionally, so be prepared to cry a bit. I left the theater and there was more than few people breaking down in various corners of the theater.
http://www.outfest.org/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4770

Boy Culture is the big hit this year. I didn't end up seeing the film, but it won OutFest's big award this year and everyone I talked to loved it. The synopsis is this "a reflective, high-priced Seattle prostitute known as X, who’s dodging the overtures of one roommate while hiding his feelings for another."
http://www.outfest.org/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4681

Puccini for Beginers is was chosen as the film to open the festival. Again I didn't get to see the film, as I was helping set up the Opening Night Gala. You can read the synopsis at the following link. Most everyone I talked to said they really liked the film.
http://www.outfest.org/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4716

20 Centimetros (20 Centimeters) is the Closing Night feature. The Spanish film tells a tale of a narcoleptic pre-op tran-sexual prostitute who falls asleep at inopportune times, though when she does, she dreams in musical numbers. 20 Centimeters estimate to roughly 8 inches, so you can guess what that refers to.
http://www.outfest.org/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4673

The Gymnast is another much talked about film this year. The actress won OutFest's best actress award for her performance. I will definitely check this one out when i get a chance.
http://www.outfest.org/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4699
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline azphil

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2006, 08:58:01 pm »
Thanks, starboardlight, a lot to look forward to on DVD here.

Gotta say, though, if director, Christian Faure's work on A Love to Hide (Un amour à taire) is as noteworthy as it was on Just A Question Of Love (Juste une question d'amour), then this has got to be one great little film.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2006, 09:57:51 am »
Thanks, starboardlight, a lot to look forward to on DVD here.

Gotta say, though, if director, Christian Faure's work on A Love to Hide (Un amour à taire) is as noteworthy as it was on Just A Question Of Love (Juste une question d'amour), then this has got to be one great little film.

I'm most excited about this one, and for the same reason.  I love Just a Question of Love, own it, and intend to keep my eyes on this director.

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2006, 11:22:23 pm »
New to the board, and just skimmed the messaages in this post. Lots of good films mentioned. I recently joined Netflix so I could work my way through the gay-theme movies I haven't yet seen.

There are a couple of movies I like a lot, and that I didn't notice anybody mention.

Edge of Seventeen (1998), for my money, the best American teen coming out movie. Not perfect, not as well done as Beautiful Thing (sort of the British equivalent), but some very good performances, and they got the atmosphere of the 80s just right.

A big favorite, one that I put almost in the BBM category, is Our Lady of the Assassins (2000), a Barbet Schroeder film. (AKA La Virgen de los Sicarios). I'm not easily shocked, but this one had my hair standing on end when I first saw it. There's BBM level heartache, not the same variety, but palpable all the same. It's one of the few DVDs I own, so I've seen it several times now and like it more each time. It's not for everybody, and usually elicits strong opinions equally pro and con. I think it's like BBM in that not everybody gets it. Or wants to.

I'm passionate about Latter Days, beyond all reason. I have no idea why. Almost to a BBM level, subscribing to fan sites, getting the book, etc. Something about it really gets to me. I equate it to a gay man's Now Voyager. Instead of a cosmetic makeover, the boys get spiritual makeovers.

And Maurice. For a long time I couldn't get that kiss and line at the end out of my head: "Now we shan't never be parted." Sigh.
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2006, 07:29:56 am »
Hey ekeby, welcome, and thanks for your contributions.  What a great resource this topic is turning out to be.  Maybe we should start rating them?  It may be helpful (and fun) to include a synopsis and review of films that others haven't heard of.  I know it would help me when considering films to check out.  For those reading this thread, let me know what you think, and any suggestions you might have to make this useful.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2006, 07:36:05 am »
Hi Ekeby!

Welcome to our Twisted Family.  Jack Twisted that is!   LOL.

I really liked Edge of seventeen too.  I graduated in 1984 so the era was familiar with me too. 

Loved Maurice.  It was the first Gay themed movie I ever saw.  I was in an "unrequited" love triangle at the time as well.

Latter days?  OMG!   Awsome!  Kind of a BBM but with a happier ending.

Have you seen the "Broken Hearts Club"??   It is very good too.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2006, 06:46:36 pm »
Hi Ekeby!

I graduated in 1984 so the era was familiar with me too. 
I was in an "unrequited" love triangle at the time as well.
Latter days?  OMG!   Awsome!  Kind of a BBM but with a happier ending.
Have you seen the "Broken Hearts Club"??   It is very good too.

Hey guys . . . glad to be here . . .
I graduated HS in 64, so I'm closer to J&E's age, had "my Ennis" experience in 66-67 . . . related the story somewhere else on this board (some introduce yourself page). Re "unrequited" . . . you are not alone,  by a longshot. That's the amazing thing about this board, finding out you aren't the only poor sap who loved and lost . . .

I like Broken Hearts Club too. Another (non cine) board was posting worst gay movies, and somebody named BHC. Boy did I protest. I think it gets the tone of gay life and friendships just about right  . . .

Synopses, a good idea. Here's my take on Our Lady of the Assassins . . .

Fernando, a famous 50-something writer who can no longer find a reason to live, returns to his hometown of Medellin, Colombia to wait for the end of his life. At a boy brothel he's introduced to Alexis, a stunning 18-year-old. "El mas fantastico chico en Medallin," says the proprietor, who suggests they come together, never to be parted. Alexis is on a gang's hit list. "These guys who're in love with me want to kill me. They love me in a hateful way." This unlikely pair falls in love, Alexis mesmorised by Fernando's quirky, irreverent personality, and Fernando astonished by Alexis's propensity to kill without giving it a second thought.

Adapted from Fernando Vallejo's novel. For me, this is an OMG film . . .

[Last night I saw Capote. Whatever. Heath was ROBBED!]

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2006, 06:14:20 am »
"Beautiful thing" aired on TV a few nights ago, and I enjoyed so much watching it again. What an incredibly sweet and funny movie! Brings tears to my eyes for all the right reasons - a perfect antidote to the BBM spleen!

I've always had a weak spot for Maurice, too, because I am an E.M. Forster fan; I do feel though that that story requires a little more 'suspension of disbelief' than some other gay-themed movies. The idea of upper class Maurice and streetwise Scudder setting up house together... well, maybe I'm too pessimistic  :-X

Something completely different I saw on TV a few weeks ago is a Dutch movie called "De vierde man" (The Fourth Man). More like a horror-thriller than a romance, about a gay novelist who befriends a femme fatale and falls in love (or in lust, rather) with her latest boyfriend and victim-to-be, and actually manages to seduce him. It is heavily symbolistic and somewhat surreal, but quite good, really. With all the fuss about the gay love scenes in BBM in mind, I was quite stunned by the frankness of it - the film was made in 1983 and has several gay sex scenes in it (one actually suggesting fellatio on a man on a crucifix...!) that make BBM look like The Sound of Music.
(A friend of mine had a very embarrassing experience with this movie when she was an au pair with a Mormon family in Stockton, CA. She came across it in a video store, Dutch spoken with English subtitles. Never actually having seen it, she though it might be really nice to show the family a movie that featured several famous Dutch actors, and which would allow them to hear what Dutch sounds like. As you can imagine, it made quite an impression...  ::))

A few other favourites: Gods and Monsters; Stage Beauty; and Wonder Boys. In a completely different genre, Visconti's stunning "Ludwig".

And I shouldn't forget Angels in America, which is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen (both as a theatre play and as a TV-series).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:55:37 am by stevenedel »
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2006, 07:39:58 pm »
"Beautiful thing" - a perfect antidote to the BBM spleen!

The idea of upper class Maurice and streetwise Scudder setting up house together... well, maybe I'm too pessimistic  :-X

"De vierde man" (The Fourth Man). 

A few other favourites: Gods and Monsters; Stage Beauty; and Wonder Boys. In a completely different genre, Visconti's stunning "Ludwig". And I shouldn't forget Angels in America

Yes, Beautiful Films is one of those rare films with a gay theme that doesn't have a wrong frame in it.

Agree about Maurice and Scudder. I recall reading (maybe in the intro to the book?) that Forster had an alternate ending at one point that had M & Scudder working as loggers in a forest, and M's sister comes upon them. Or something like that. Agree, that relationship could not have worked in England. They would have had to go to some other country where the class differences wouldn't be obvious to everyone . . .

I've had 4th Man on my list, but per your enthusiasm, I'll move it up in position . . . Agree on the other films, except Angels in America. Maybe because the mere mention of Roy Cohn's name makes me physically ill. (Did you know that Baba Walters was his fag hag?) I got the idea that Angels was one of those things that probably worked better on the stage.

Oh Oh Oh Oh . . . Ludwig reminds me of another film in Europe w/ a castle: Something for Everyone (1970). A wickedly funny gem that isn't on DVD, unfortunately, and old VHS tapes very hard to find and expensive when they show up. Harold Price directed. Here's the IMDB summary: "Konrad [Michael York], a handsome country boy in post-war Austria, charms his way into a butler position at the castle of a widowed countess [Angela Lansbury] that lost her fortune. Before long the opportunistic boy is running the entire household. As he starts affairs with both the countess's son and the daughter of a wealthy businessman, the idea grows to get his two lovers to marry each other and make the house rich again." I read somewhere that a VHS version cut a scene that has Konrad and the son "swimming" together.