Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 142610 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2006, 11:00:07 am »
Girls Will Be Girls...

is a hoot.  Three drag queens play female roles, that is, the fact that these are male actors is never mentioned and the audience is expected to suspend disbelief on that count.  For example, past pregnancies and abortions are referred to in the script, and one character becomes pregnant during the course of the film.  Also, one character has a full-frontal nude scene with special effects that insert female body parts.

Still, these women have a campy, drag-queen sensibility that no woman I know adopts as their view of the world.  This isn't just camp, but "High Camp."

My new friend Clinton Leupp -- Miss Coco Peru -- is one of the three, who plays the sincere and in some ways "innocent" role.  The other two were unknown to me but both do great drag.  "Evie" (Jack Plotnick) is the potty-mouth Bitch of All Bitches, and "Varla" (Jeffery Roberson) is so convincing as a woman that I didn't realize right away that this was another man-in-drag character.

Not a perfect movie by any means, the script is so sparse that it includes banners advertising the theme of the next segment; the movie is therefore a series of skits presented in chronological order.  It's only 80 minutes long; had the banners been replaced by scenes tying one skit to the next, it would have reached the 90-minute duration that seems to be the norm these days.

The DVD is surprisingly well produced for such a low-budget picture.  The menus have the main characters doing a little comic skit in which they talk to you as the audience ("Press my button to view the special features") and bicker among themselves, just as they do in the film.  The featurettes include interviews with the stars and a piece showing how the make-up man designed each drag queen's face.

This is a movie to watch with friends while drinking (a lot).  Get it, girl!

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2006, 12:28:53 am »
OK, I just saw Stage Beauty for the 3rd time and I think it can be considered a 'gay' movie.  As much as the media/marketing pushed the Claire Danes/Billy Crudup relationship onscreen and in real life, the movie makes it pretty clear, especially after mutliple viewings, that his character Ned Kynaston was not at all interested in Claire Dane's Mrs. Hughes despite her throwing herself at him, he was awkward with her from beginning to end and never really showed any enthusiasm.  They were barely friends.  More like colleagues.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2006, 07:58:44 pm »
Girls Will Be Girls...is a hoot. 

I've been watching for this movie for a long time--kept expecting a theatrical release--guess it didn't happen. Glad to hear it's on DVD . . . I just added it to the top of the list. thanks!
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2006, 11:03:43 am »
"Adam & Steve" was released last year, is a romantic comedy, and stars  Malcolm Gets (from "Caroline and the City") and Craig Chester, both openly-gay; Chester also wrote and directed the film.  Chris Kattan from Saturday Night Live has a supporting role, along with Posey Parker.

I enjoyed it.  The opening scenes are set in 1987 and are weak, with apparently unattractive characters and gross-out humor.  But as soon as the film jumps to the present day, it quickly morphs into a sweet film with good performances and an optimistic outlook.  No sad endings here.

There's a wonderful Country and Western dance sequence, and the DVD includes an "instructional dance video" that teaches how to do the line dance shown in the film.

There were a few laugh-out-loud moments, but mostly I was quietly amused.  The script is clever in how it shows how little has changed between 1987 and today for several of the characters.  Posey Parker, for instance, plays a stand-up comedian who used to be fat, but still does fat jokes in her routine: in her head, she hasn't changed at all.

Adam & Steve is worth a look.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2006, 11:38:31 am »
"Adam & Steve" was released last year, is a romantic comedy, and stars  Malcolm Gets (from "Caroline and the City") and Craig Chester, both openly-gay; Chester also wrote and directed the film.  Chris Kattan from Saturday Night Live has a supporting role, along with Posey Parker.Adam & Steve is worth a look.

I agree, it's worth a look. Just seeing Craig Chester in goth drag made me laugh. The best part of the movie is the dialog, a lot of it razor sharp. Parker Posey gets the lion's share of the zingers. I also thought Chris Kattan was good as a straight guy jealous of his gay roommate's lifestyle. Julie Haggerty appears as well--another actor who makes me smile just by appearing on the screen . . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #175 on: September 12, 2006, 12:33:12 pm »
Latter days?  OMG!   Awsome!  Kind of a BBM but with a happier ending.

David - I'm glad you enjoyed Latter Days.  I just watched it a couple of weeks ago, and I found the characters to be extremely compelling - you know - BBM-style compelling.  I know you shouldn't really compare the two because LD is just not technically or artistically in the same league as BBM (IMO-only, of course).  Nevertheless, I'm finding that Aaron and Christian have taken up residence in my psyche in much the same way as Jack and Ennis did.  Weird, huh?  I like the optimistic ending.  It leaves me with a sense of hope and that maybe all can be right with the world.  I usually don't put much stock in the angel/miracle/serendipity plot devices because I tend to be too cynical.

That said, I've got a master list of films I intend to work my way through, generated largely thru this thread, although it's probably an impossible task for this lifetime.  'Lilies' is currently at home...

-Lynne
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:29:15 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2006, 06:36:39 pm »
I know these films were from 2004,  but I was just wondering if any of you have seen any of them, and if so how were they?    I am wondering if they are on DVD  to rent.  Here's the link to the page:

http://www.qcinema.org/awards.html
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 07:00:22 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2006, 01:09:27 am »
Unfortunatley, I haven't seen any of them.  I know, take away my gay card now...  :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2006, 02:13:09 am »
Arad,

I haven't seen any of these either.  My suggestion is to send a link to this thread to Impish (Bill) and/or Jude and Shuggy to see if they have opinions.

Bill has a thread in 'Anything Goes' about other G/L films of note and I know that he has an extensive collection.  Many participate in that thread with some regularity.  Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=89.msg86381#msg86381

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2349.msg58502#msg58502

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2006, 12:26:51 pm »
Hey guys,
Lynne directed me here. Thanks lynne!  Seems you guys might be the ones to ask.

I know these films were from 2004,  but I was just wondering if any of you have seen any of them, and if so how were they?  A couple look really good.    I am wondering if they are on DVD  to rent.  Here's the link to the page:

http://www.qcinema.org/awards.html
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "