Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 141629 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2006, 12:38:06 am »
Someone once asked for our favorite "gay" films on the IMDB and many on this list, Big Eden, Priest, Latter Days, Trick, Beautiful Thing, The Sum of Us and When Night is Falling are among my fav's and in my film collection.  But I also included, Victor/Victoria, Billy Elliott, Spartacus ( see the scene between Tony Curtis and Lawrence Olivier in the bath, mentioned in the Celluloid Closet) and Cabaret(all thought it is much more plainly portrayed in the stage play than in the film). 

These last four films had some posters ripping strips off me for including films with gay characters on a gay film list, the film must be exclusively gay in message and content to be considered gay cinema they say and accused me of being a "token" liberal.  Needless to say I stopped posting at IMDb and went back to lurking.  BUT I disagree with their assumption, after all even Brokeback is not exclusively gay in message and content.   What do you all think?  I think any film that portrays gay life or gay characters in a real way would qualify. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:59:54 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline aileen

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2006, 04:18:08 am »
Is Latter Days out in Poland yet? I think you might enjoy that.

Can anybody else recommend gay comedies (well, happy endings) that might be available in Poland? I guess that would mean older movies? What about I Think I Do . . . or Broken Hearts Club?

"Latter Days" is not available in Poland :( But I watched it - unfortunately with german dubbing, so barely understood it, but I loved it!!!. I'm looking for it on amazon, but I found only region 1 >:( There were  "A Beautiful Thing", "Jeffrey" and "My beautiful laundrette" on polish TV, but I don' t know the movies you mentioned :(

And BTW - do you enjoy "Queer as folk" series???

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2006, 10:44:13 am »
What do you all think?  I think any film that portrays gay life or gay characters in a real way would qualify. 

I agree with you.  As you'll see in the OP, my collection includes such films as "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" even tho'  it "only" includes a gay character, and is not gay themed.

I guess it comes down to what you mean by "qualify."  Qualify as what?  If the answer is "Qualify as belonging in this thread," then the answer is most definitely "Yes!"   ;)
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2006, 01:47:35 pm »
"Latter Days" is not available in Poland :( But I watched it - unfortunately with german dubbing, so barely understood it, but I loved it!!!. I'm looking for it on amazon, but I found only region 1 >:( There were  "A Beautiful Thing", "Jeffrey" and "My beautiful laundrette" on polish TV, but I don' t know the movies you mentioned :(

And BTW - do you enjoy "Queer as folk" series???

I have a love/hate relationship with Queer as Folk (American version) . . . I hated it in many ways, but never missed an episode. It's ridiculous and frustrating, full of stereotypes and cliches, but somehow compelling.

Re the mention of Cowboys and Angels, above. . . finally saw it and liked it . . . set in Ireland, it's somewhat relevant to the discussion of what makes a gay film. The main character was not gay, but he seemed gay. His roommate is gay, and gayness/outsiderism is central to the plot. I'd recommend it.

I watched Regarding Billy last night and absolutely hated it. One of the worst things ever, bad script, bad acting, bad concept, bad everything. I had such high hopes for it but it was almost laugh-out-loud bad. I was fast forwarding after about 20 minutes, and I wanted to fast forward after 5 minutes! When, in one scene, and realized that the background music was the cheesy no-royalty orchestral music used in old  travelogs, I knew I was watching a real stinker.

Part of my repulsion might have been because immediately before that I watched Soderbergh's film Bubble. Not a gay film in any way, but absolutely stunning--almost literally so. Highly recommended. Anyone else seen it?
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Dafna

« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2006, 06:05:50 pm »
Unfortunately I am on slow dial up and this board loads very slowly for me so I have been unable to read through all the pages of threads. I'll be upgrading soon but I'm not sure what has been mentioned or not.

Just watched Big Eden twice and can't say how much I loved it. What a sweet movie. Eventhough it does not exist how I would love to live in a town like that. A collection of such characters and nice people could only exist in a movie but perhaps some day it could be real.

That's one thing I like about watching movies at home; Close the door and melt into a movie for a couple of hours. Happy or sad but a happy ending never hurts.

Aileen, I'm sorry you have so much trouble finding movies in Poland. That must be so frustrating. I know how much my movie collection means to me.

I have all seasons of Queer As Folk on DVD. For all it's stereotypes and flaws it's still a show I love and can also get lost in for a little while. I like the friendships. Eventhough they sometimes treat each other like dirt, in the end they were always there for each other. Something else I would like to have in my life.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2006, 03:47:53 pm »
let me add a couple of titles for your review.

Don't know if I've already mentioned "Borstal Boy" based on the experience of Irish writer Brendan Behan. In his own writing of the events, he is more overt about his own bisexuality. In the film, Brendan's sexuality is vague, although Charlie (played by the yummy Danny Dyer) is openly gay and in-love with Brendan.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0221838/

Shortbus - okay this film only recently hit the LA, SF, NYC theaters, so it may be a bit of a wait before it makes it to you area. It's the new film by John Cameron Mitchell (famed for his Hedwig and the Angry Inch). The film follow two characters, one gay man and one straight woman. The two are dealing with emotional and sexual disfunctions. The film is controversial for having the actors actually performing real sex and for explicitly showing the sex. Critics are quite divided on this film, but the ones who love it really love it, and the ones who don't, don't. My reaction was that I was afraid it was going to be bad, but the sex was quite crucial to telling the story. It certainly makes us ask ourselves what our hang ups are about sex that the idea of actors performing real sex makes us uncomfortable? The film is character driven, and in my opinion, made us care enough about James and Sophia that we're willing to follow their stories all the way.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0367027/

edit to add.
2 more
2 films that I really enjoyed by Charles Busch
"Die, Mommy, Die!" http://imdb.com/title/tt0322023/ and "Psycho Beach Party" http://imdb.com/title/tt0206226/
Both film are set in the 50's and play on old films. "Psycho Beach Party" is reminiscent of "Gidget" but with a murder mystery twist. While "Die, Mommy, Die!" is a bit of noir melodrama. Both are hilarious is high camp and farce elements, and features some great casting, lead by Charles Busch in female roles in both. And of course there are gay characters and story lines. I highly recommend both for a fun night of dvd-ing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:13:31 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2006, 04:16:26 pm »
I have a 5-DVD player in my bedroom, and along with Brokeback I have Latter Days always in it ready to go . . . Like Brokeback, it's one I can watch over and over again . . . Frequently I'll watch the laundry room scenes before I go to sleep . . . .

The laundry room scenes are one of my faves, especially the first one!  But the scene with Aaron and his mother in the kitchen really gets to me .. so real.

I have also watched Borstal Boy, I liked it!

I have recently gone nuts ordering movies from amazon .. some movies I am waiting for:
- Soldier's girl
- Monster
-The truth about Jane
- and the Latter Days novel!

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2006, 05:23:45 pm »
The laundry room scenes are one of my faves, especially the first one!  But the scene with Aaron and his mother in the kitchen really gets to me .. so real.

I have also watched Borstal Boy, I liked it!

I have recently gone nuts ordering movies from amazon .. some movies I am waiting for:
- Soldier's girl
- Monster
-The truth about Jane
- and the Latter Days novel!

agree the kitchen scene is very, very real . . . that slap and his reaction! I too bought the novel . . . got obsessed w/ LD for a while there . . .:) If I want a good cry anytime I just watch the 3am music video . . . .

They've been running Borstal Boy on LOGO and it sometimes shows up on IFC . . . typically well-done Brit film . . . I liked it too, though the theme is a little down . . . I haven't had the courage to watch Soldier's Girl yet, not sure I ever will . . . Monster is kind of amazing. Haven't seen The Truth About Jane--I'll have to look for it . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Dafna

« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2006, 06:19:56 pm »
Lucise, I also order too many movies from Amazon.  :) But then again I like owning the movies so I can watch them over and over and rarely have I got one I didn't like. I do not go the the theatre so this is my entertainment vice. Just placed an order yesterday myself.

I did not know there was a Latter Days book. Added it to my list. I also love the movie.

I have Soldier's Girl on DVD. I think I have only viewed it once because it is not easy to watch. Has anyone read Calpernia Addams book "Mark 947"? It is simply written and it does not appear she used a ghost writer from what I can find in the book. It is however not easy to read. Quite heart wrenching. It goes from early childhood and through her life. I would recommend it.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2006, 07:02:56 pm »
Hey Dafna ..

The Latter Days novel was adapted from CJ Cox's screenplay for the movie!  I am dying to get my hands on that one. ;)  Like you, I am building my movie collection considerably these days and I havent been to the theatre in months actually!

One movie that I have not yet found the courage to watch again is Mysterious Skin.  It was very well-done but hard to watch.  I'll have to suck it up and watch it again one of these days. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (aka "Ryder" in Latter Days) gave a phenomenal performance in it!  Quite the talented young actor he is!

agree the kitchen scene is very, very real . . . that slap and his reaction! I too bought the novel . . . got obsessed w/ LD for a while there . . .:) If I want a good cry anytime I just watch the 3am music video . . . .

Please don't get me started about that song ..  ;)  I get a lump in my throat everytime I watch it!