Author Topic: I'm in love with another Jack! Jack Kerouac's "On the Road"  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: I'm in love with another Jack! Jack Kerouac's "On the Road"
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 12:13:33 pm »
One more passage about the impact of On the Road:

Kerouac showed how to stretch a canvas across an entire continent. He made America a subject for literary fiction; he de-Europeanized the novel for American writers. Kerouac’s influence is all over Thomas Pynchon’s books: the protagonist in Pynchon’s first novel, “V.,” clearly alludes to Sal Paradise—his name is Benny Profane. Don DeLillo’s first novel, “Americana,” is Kerouac in spirit if not in style. John Updike scarcely qualifies as a Kerouac disciple, but Rabbit’s frightened flight by car in the beginning of “Rabbit, Run” is a kind of friendly, parodic allusion to the men of “On the Road.” And, as Howard Cunnell cleverly suggests in his edition of the scroll, “On the Road” might be called the first nonfiction novel: Kerouac’s book came out eight years before Truman Capote’s “In Cold Blood.” It is certainly one of the literary sources of the New Journalism of the nineteen-sixties and seventies, the outburst of magazine pieces, by writers like Tom Wolfe and Joan Didion and Hunter Thompson, that took America and its weirdness as its great subject.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 06:17:43 pm »
Some wonderful news! "On the Road" is finally being made into a movie by Walter Salles, creator of The Motorcycle Diaries. And guess who's gonna score it? Our own Gustavo Santaolalla!! Yee-haw!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 10:08:11 pm »
A thought just struck me...do you suppose that Kerouac named his protagonist in On the Road Dean in honor of James Dean? They shared so much in common. Your thoughts solicited!