Author Topic: Songs of the 80s and 90s...help me out here  (Read 45353 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Songs of the 80s and 90s...help me out here
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2007, 12:34:09 am »
Thanks, I don't think I would have remembered that.

This has been such great fun today here.  I lived for the music in the eighties.  I forgot so much but I guess I remembered a lot too.  TLC, that was another good one.

Actually my name today, sort of, came from a song I that I loved back then. I may keep it and explain.

This was fun, Thanks Jess,
and great question Dev.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2007, 01:10:24 am »
Trivia Question:  Which 80's artist or group had the most Top 40 hits in the U.S.?  (might not be who you think!)

And the answer is . . .  Hall & Oates!!!  We tend to associate the 80s with big solo acts: Madonna, Michael Jackson, Phil Collins (yecch), or David Bowie – but Hall & Oates (who were in a relationship with each other for a while) actually had the most Top 40 hits of the 80s.

"They are best known for their six #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100: "Rich Girl", "Kiss on My List", "Private Eyes", "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)", "Maneater", and "Out of Touch", as well as many other songs which charted in the Top 40."

— Wikipedia

injest

« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2007, 02:32:42 am »
Thanks, I don't think I would have remembered that.

This has been such great fun today here.  I lived for the music in the eighties.  I forgot so much but I guess I remembered a lot too.  TLC, that was another good one.

Actually my name today, sort of, came from a song I that I loved back then. I may keep it and explain.

This was fun, Thanks Jess,
and great question Dev.

thank ME??

THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS!!!

I appreciate all the great feedback! Now if only I had the money to buy all the great music you have reminded me of!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2007, 04:50:36 am »
Thanks Laura - Don't think a them as a couple or as the top 40 with the most in the 80's - mostly cause I didn't like their music, beyond their first semi-hit "She's Gone". They did reflect their times though, in that all a their songs had a unique sound, so unique that (to me) they all tended to sound the same, yet quite diff'rent from all the other 'unique' sounds of the 'journeys' and 'genesis' of the 80's. Guess that's why I found the one hit wonders of the 80's more interesting, in retrospect.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2007, 02:09:26 pm »
Guess that's why I found the one hit wonders of the 80's more interesting, in retrospect.

Yes, that can certainly be true!

Which brings up another point.  Jess, you might also want to look at hit movies of the 80s & 90s and their soundtracks.  For the 80s, stuff like Less Than Zero, Pretty in Pink, etc.  They tend to include significant hits that may have been some of the only hits for their respective artists.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2007, 02:22:07 pm »
Yes, that can certainly be true!

Which brings up another point.  Jess, you might also want to look at hit movies of the 80s & 90s and their soundtracks.  For the 80s, stuff like Less Than Zero, Pretty in Pink, etc.  They tend to include significant hits that may have been some of the only hits for their respective artists.

I was thinking that exact same thing in the car this morning. Anyone remember Something Wild with Melanie Griffiths, Jeff Daniels, and Ray Liotta? That had a fabulous soundtrack with songs by The Fine Young Cannibals, David Byrne, UB40, Oingo Boingo and more.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2007, 04:24:37 pm »
Trivia Question:  Which 80's artist or group had the most Top 40 hits in the U.S.?  (might not be who you think!)

And the answer is . . .  Hall & Oates!!!  We tend to associate the 80s with big solo acts: Madonna, Michael Jackson, Phil Collins (yecch), or David Bowie – but Hall & Oates (who were in a relationship with each other for a while) actually had the most Top 40 hits of the 80s.

"They are best known for their six #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100: "Rich Girl", "Kiss on My List", "Private Eyes", "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)", "Maneater", and "Out of Touch", as well as many other songs which charted in the Top 40."

— Wikipedia

My homeboys! :D Headlining the concert at the Welcome America Festival here on the Fourth of July.

But ... a couple for a while?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2007, 05:03:21 pm »
My homeboys! :D Headlining the concert at the Welcome America Festival here on the Fourth of July.

But ... a couple for a while?  ???

That's what I heard.  (Although you know about gossip. It could have just been wishful thinking on someone's part.  People who enjoy the idea of hot men getting together . . . can you imagine? What dirty-minded scum!)
 ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2007, 05:43:15 pm »

That's what I heard.  (Although you know about gossip. It could have just been wishful thinking on someone's part.  People who enjoy the idea of hot men getting together . . . can you imagine? What dirty-minded scum!)
 ;)

I seem to remember there were rumors because in the picture on one album cover they were really tarted up--eye shadow, blush, the works. Very ... feminine.

It's my background in writing history always makes me immediately skeptical of claims that thus-and-such a public personality is gay--or had a relationship with someone of the same sex. Professional instinct makes me want to see the evidence.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2007, 05:53:46 pm »
Since I posted "She Blinded Me With Science" yesterday, I have not been able to get that song out of my head! Ah well...I actually dug up the music video (you have to love the Internet). Enjoy, folks....a one hit wonder from the 80s, Thomas Dolby.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1700439142

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!