Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 82488 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 06:23:04 pm »
I heard that "The Fountain" is supposed to be an adaptation of the story "The Time Traveler's Wife." That makes me want to see it even though it didn't get good reviews. Also, Hugh Jackman as the lead character Henry? I'm sure he could handle the acting but he seems too healthy and wholesome for that role. But it would be great to see him in the role because of the frequent nudity!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 02:46:44 pm »
I just heard that the classic "Once Upon a Time in the West" movie by Sergio Leone is being restored, thanks to a foundation established by Martin Scorcese. This is the fourth in Leone's "Dollars" series and often called the best Western movie ever produced. It stars Henry Fonda, Jason RObards, and Claudia Cardinale. Bernardo Bertolucci co-wrote.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 10:26:28 am »
Watched "Little Miss Sunshine" last night. A very entertaining movie with lots of style. A good vehicle for the cast. But, there were a couple of things that bothered me. The plot was pretty contrived, and some of the twists and turns of plot didn't work at all. Also, I had seen an Indie film that was so much like it that, if I were the director, I would have sued. The film was "You and Me and Everybody We Know."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2006, 12:23:09 am »
I started this topic talking about Werner Herzog and now I have just seen one of his recent movies, a documentary called "Grizzly Man." It was an amazing and often very upsetting account of the life and death of Timothy Treadwell. Anybody else seen this and want to discuss it?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2006, 12:51:13 am »
I started this topic talking about Werner Herzog and now I have just seen one of his recent movies, a documentary called "Grizzly Man." It was an amazing and often very upsetting account of the life and death of Timothy Treadwell. Anybody else seen this and want to discuss it?

I have the DVD for Grizzly Man but I have yet to watch it.  I will soon!  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2006, 12:53:57 am »
I didn't give you much of a spoiler as the end was brought up near the beginning of the movie.

And, the music is heartbreaking. This was in the playlist of BBM radio at one time I think.

Catch the part where Timothy wishes he were gay and how much simpler life would be. I've often thought that myself.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movies: Great News About the Conformist!
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2006, 12:17:23 pm »
Exciting news!! I just read in The Wall Street Journal weekend edition that my all-time favorite movie (before BBM came out of course) The Conformiste is just now available on DVD!! The WSJ calls it, "some of the most ravishingly beautiful images ever projected on the screen." The movie is set in Fascist Italy and stars Jean-Luis Trintignant and Dominique Sanda!! There are short interviews with the director, Bernardo Bertolucci, and cinematographer Vittorio Storaro as well. And a cut scene, where blind people are at a party in a basement, has been restored.

Bertolucci recalls in the article that the movie debuted in the US at the New York Film Festival in 1970. The next day, he inquired when the movie would be opening nationwide and was told that it wouldn't be offered to theaters because "It's not a film for American audiences." Francis Coppola and other directors wrote letters of protest after which it was shown sporadically, but then it disappeared for 36 years!!

This will be great news in our family because, in order to see the movie, I had to haul out my Sony Betamax and try to hook it up Frankenstein-wise to the DVD player and then to the TV monitor!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2006, 12:19:41 pm »
There's just one problem: There's a beautiful photo of Sanda with Tringinant to accompany the article, but she's mis-identified as Stefania Sandrelli in the caption!! Oh, what to do? I knew the WSJ wouldn't get it right!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2006, 01:12:34 pm »
Here is a review of the Conformist along with a review of 1900, Bertolucci's 1977 epic starring Gerard Depardieu and Robert De Niro!!

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/56812

The review discusses the interviews with Bertolucci about how he was influenced by Antonioni, Fellini, and Leone, and how he in turn influenced Coppola...and Lee???

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 11:09:53 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2006, 01:16:07 pm »
I didn't give you much of a spoiler as the end was brought up near the beginning of the movie.

And, the music is heartbreaking. This was in the playlist of BBM radio at one time I think.

Catch the part where Timothy wishes he were gay and how much simpler life would be. I've often thought that myself.

Was this the movie where that crazy guy went to live among the bears in Alaska and sat around anthropomorphizing them and thinking he had some sort of 'bond' with them?