Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81709 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2006, 01:38:45 pm »
Wow, della, you describe the movie so accurately, I'm sure you have seen it over and over!! You should be a movie critic!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2006, 02:14:16 pm »
Wow, della, you describe the movie so accurately, I'm sure you have seen it over and over!! You should be a movie critic!!

So that's a yes?   :D

If it's the same one, that's pretty much the reaction I got from my friends who were educated in the biological sciences.  They were not very sympathetic with the guy and felt sorry for his girlfriend.  You can warn people and warn them...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2006, 05:50:29 pm »
There's just one problem: There's a beautiful photo of Sanda with Tringinant to accompany the article, but she's mis-identified as Stefania Sandrelli in the caption!! Oh, what to do? I knew the WSJ wouldn't get it right!!

Okay, I wrote to the WSJ and asked them to print a correction. Let's see if it will be Christmas for me and Dominique soon.  :-* to my goddess!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2006, 04:21:16 pm »
So, guess what I got for Christmas!! The Conformist!! My husband had to go to three places yesterday in a snowstorm to find it!! I have now officially elevated him to hero status!!

Coming shortly: Several misconceptions about Grizzly Man.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2006, 01:33:23 pm »
The main misconception about Grizzly Man is that Timothy Treadwell is depicted as being crazy. The movie shows him as a rational person who is not deluded about the dangerousness of the grizzly bears he lived with for 13 years. In fact, he talks a lot during the movie about how dangerous the bears are.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News: Grizzly Man
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2006, 01:42:14 pm »
Another misconception is that Timothy Treadwell forced his girlfriend into staying with him in the midst of the grizzly bears. He was alone most of the summers that he spent with the grizzlies in Alaska. His girlfriend did not operate the camera or do anything with the bears. In fact, she was frightened of the bears and stayed away most of the time. She only appeared on camera once, and that time it was a mistake.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Movie News: Grizzly Man
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2006, 11:04:15 pm »
Another misconception is that Timothy Treadwell forced his girlfriend into staying with him in the midst of the grizzly bears. He was alone most of the summers that he spent with the grizzlies in Alaska. His girlfriend did not operate the camera or do anything with the bears. In fact, she was frightened of the bears and stayed away most of the time. She only appeared on camera once, and that time it was a mistake.

I think I read somewhere that Treadwell was either bi-polar/manic depressive or had some other disorder.  Someone who watched the movie said that they could tell he had some condition because he rambled on and on, had some sort of mania, was self-absorbed.

Yes, he knew the bears were dangerous, he had been warned the bears were dangerous, so what was his excuse to keep approaching them when they are at their most dangerous?  That's the major reason people called him craxy.

I hadn't heard he forced his girlfriend to do anything.  Actually I read that she was there quite willingly but was terrified for Timothy, knowing what danger he was putting himself into on a daily basis.  Sad for her that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2006, 11:56:11 am »
So much movie news lately!! Where to start? I would enjoy discussing Grizzly Man more after some of you have seen the movie.

No correction from the Wall Street Journal yet on failing to identify Dominique Sanda in The Conformist!! I have really enjoyed watching the extended version of the movie, but I haven't been able to watch the extended features yet.

Has anybody seen The Queen? It's one of the best movies this year. I would love to discuss it!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2006, 06:50:55 pm »
Here she is, Dominique Sanda. Does this look like Stefania Sandrelli to you? No, a thousand times no! (Where's moremojo when I need him??  >:()

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2006, 08:04:32 pm »
Yay! The WSJ finally printed a correction, giving Dominique Sanda the credit for her 1970 role as Anna in The Conformist!! I can finally relax!!