Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81720 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2006, 02:31:21 pm »
Grizzly Man is worth seeing just for the fantastic scenery of Alaska and the incredible scenes of grizzlies feasting on fish (I said fish not flesh!! Gross joke!), and the way they lumber along like they are falling apart (Annie got it right as she always does!!) But my favorite scenes were those of the foxes. They are so beautiful and friendly--as tame as cats!! They also made me miss my lovely Newfoundland fox, tho she's not in Newfoundland any more (a few of the Tremblayans will know whom I mean).

Here's a picture she sent me one time:

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2006, 01:18:59 pm »
A quote about Werner Herzog, the creator of the documentary film "Grizzly Man."

“His films . . . attempt to reconnect modern cinematographers with their prelapsarian selves: the emotions are always primal, and landscape is integral to the drama. ‘You will never see people talking on the phone, driving in a car, or exchanging ironic jokes in my films,’ he said. ‘It is always bigger, deeper.’ He vows that his films expose ‘the ecstatic truth’ of mankind.”

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News: "Grizzly Man"
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2007, 03:15:38 pm »
There is a lively discussion over on imdb about whether Timothy Treadwell, the subject of "Grizzly Man" may have had undiagnosed Klinefelter's Syndrome. Anybody agree with that?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »
Here is a link to the discussion about whether Timothy Treadwell, the subject of the documentary "Grizzly Man" might have had Klinefelter's Syndrome.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/board/inline/43460935

moremojo

Some French Movie News
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2007, 02:28:01 pm »
At FRiend Lee's invitation (thanks, Lee!), I come here to copy and paste an earlier post I made today on my blog:

I just wanted to share some exciting (to me, anyway) news regarding the area of film and film appreciation. I have learned that a new restored print of Jean Renoir's 1939 classic La Regle du jeu (The Rules of the Game) will enjoy an American release soon, and as a result will be shown in Austin's Dobie Theatre in the near future. I have seen this masterpiece so far only via DVD projection, and am looking forward to the opportunity to experience it as it was meant to be seen and heard. This is a truly great film, fully deserving of its high reputation, though, oddly, it is not one of those great works of art that inspires love in me (such as Brokeback Mountain). I am curious to see if the theatrical experience may induce a somewhat more emotionally engaged response in me.

Some more news: This coming Sunday, January 7th, at 11:00 p.m. (Central Time), Turner Classic Movies will air the rare 1921 French silent feature La Terre, directed by Andre Antoine after Emile Zola's eponymous novel. This happens to be one of film curator and director Kevin Brownlow's favorite films, one he said he would have been proud to have made himself, and I have long been curious to see it. The film is reputedly precious for the wonderful documentation of a rural France that has all but disappeared today, and was quickly on the wane even during its production. The Beauce region (around Chartres) has been preserved as if in a time capsule by the miracle of cinema and cinematic preservation--this is, at least, some of this production's attested importance. I will definitely be making time for this one.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2007, 05:08:32 pm »
Throughout February, MOMA in New York will be showing the films that have scores by Ennio Morricone, most notably Sergio Leone's series starting with Once Upon a Time in the West. There will also be a concert of his work at Radio City.

I recommend the recent CD of the songs of Morricone as performed by Yo-Yo Ma on the cello.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2007, 02:24:28 pm »
The AFI is revising their list of the top 100 American Films:

Frodo Takes On Charles Foster Kane

The AFI announced Thursday that it's asked its brain trust of actors, directors, screenwriters, historians, critics and more to look anew at which movies, including a spate of relatively recent releases such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Shrek and Spider-Man 2, should be declared among the greatest American-made movies.

The new list, to be called "100 Years...100 Movies—10th Anniversary Edition," will be unveiled in June on a CBS TV special.

Per the AFI, all rankings previously assigned in the original "100 Years...100 Movies" list will be up for grabs....

Click the link for the whole article.

I wish there were some way we could lobby the voters to get BBM in there.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 02:32:35 pm »
If Shrek (which I enjoyed) and Spider Man 2 end up being considered among the hundred greatest American-made movies, do I want BBM in that club?  :-\

(OK, I'm a snob. And I'm shooting off my mouth without know what are the criteria for a film's being named among the hundred greatest.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2007, 02:42:05 pm »
There were LOTS of folks, critics and non-critics alike, who were disappointed with the last results when AFI pursued this topic; I was one of them. The Chicago Reader's Jonathan Rosenbaum wrote an eloquent essay lamenting the sorry state of the nation's film culture represented in those results, and offered an alternative personal pick of the 100 greatest American films. I wouldn't be surprised if he chose not to participate this time around, and will likely be just as displeased with the final results.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 02:54:49 pm »
I think movies should be evaluated within the categories or genres they belong to. I disagree with the selection of Superman 2 as one of the best 100 greatest American-made Movies. But Shrek within the category of animated movies is not bad. It is actually a good movie but you cannot compare it with Brokeback Mountain for example, because they do not belong to the same group or genre. That's the problem with the Oscars. They put movies movies of different categories and genres to compete for the same award. For Best Picture, for instance. It's unfair, IMO.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.