Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81712 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Movie News
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2007, 03:59:48 pm »
I had wanted to take my sons to see it, for its educational value. But wheneve I see a movie with them, if they spot even the slightest glisten of a tear in my eye, they'll stare at me and ask in a loud, horrified voice, "Mom, are you CRYING?!!?" So in the end I was glad I went alone!  :laugh:

Yeah, that would be a bit of a deterrent for enjoying a movie!  ;D  I'm glad you had a nice cry, though.  Sounds like good therapy for the soul.  :)

I blessed William Wilberforce many times during that film, starting at the very beginning when he stopped the beating of that cart horse.  I bless those brave folks who speak out and take action, even in small ways, to let people know they're really doing something wrong.  Cruelty or prejudice sanctioned by large numbers of people is not something that has to last forever.  I hope you do see the movie with your sons eventually, maybe on DVD, and they can get some of the same good feeling from it.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2007, 04:20:30 pm »
I hope you do see the movie with your sons eventually, maybe on DVD, and they can get some of the same good feeling from it.

It's hard to get them to see anything without any killings or car chases or scatalogical humor. Especially if they think it might be educational or inspirational. Every now and then I manage it. They went to "Breach" with me, and though that's not especially inspirational, they did sit through it even though no one was slaughtered and there were no fart jokes.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2007, 05:00:55 pm »
It's hard to get them to see anything without any killings or car chases or scatalogical humor. Especially if they think it might be educational or inspirational. Every now and then I manage it. They went to "Breach" with me, and though that's not especially inspirational, they did sit through it even though no one was slaughtered and there were no fart jokes.

I know what you mean.  Kids have radar about stuff that's "good" for them.  But I have a distinct memory of my Mom saying to us one day when we were little that she wanted us to watch a movie that was on TV because it was important for us to see the living conditions of the poor people in it.  I was hugely impressed and solemnly watched it, a little scared, and remembered it ever since.  It made me feel grown up. 

I'm glad you keep managing it now and then.  After all, if your parents don't care enough to "bother" you by taking you to see socially conscious things, the odds of someone else doing it are slim.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2007, 02:25:40 pm »
I picked up a copy of "Ma Vie En Rose" from the library yesterday and I'm looking forward to watching it. Is anyone else familiar with this film?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:38 pm »
I picked up a copy of "Ma Vie En Rose" from the library yesterday and I'm looking forward to watching it. Is anyone else familiar with this film?

Yes, I saw this some years ago at the cinema, accompanied by my sister. We both enjoyed it, and actually I think my sister might have appreciated it a bit more than I did. It was kind of a surreal spectacle, seeing a community on screen that could practically pass for an American suburb, yet was set in western Francophone Europe. The film's delicate theme and treatment of a child's burgeoning sense of identity and difference (presexual for the most part), and the surrounding community's misunderstanding and hatred of that difference (insisting on projecting sexuality onto a child's innocence), is intelligently presented; I don't think a film like this would be made in contemporary America, at least not a mainstream commercial production.

The film's precise setting remains mysterious to me. Going into the cinema, I assumed I was going to see a Belgian (Francophone) film, yet part of the story takes place in Clermont-Ferrand, a French city. I do think the director is Belgian, but I remain unsure whether the story is set in Belgium or France (and, for that matter, whether the film was shot in Belgium or France).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2007, 05:45:17 pm »
Thanks, Scott! I am really interested in seeing this now!!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:13 pm »

Hi frontranger.  You will love Ma vie en rose, it's a wonderful and touching film without being sentimental.  For some bizarre reason, the MPAA rated this family film 'R', apparently for brief language (!).   Yeah right, we believe that, lol!  It's obvious that the MPAA a-holes had problems with the film showing a child not conforming to society's rigid gender roles.

Why is it that every movie seems to be rated R in the states?  Why are they not allowing teenagers to see intelligent films.  The MPAA 'R' rating  seems to be the equivalent of our '14A' here up north.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2007, 11:04:30 pm »
Thanks for the review, o-g! I will try to figure out when I watch it what set those MPAA ignerant SOBs off. You never know...I read that in "Boys Don't Cry" it almost got an NC-17 rating because Chloe Sevingny was shown enjoying sex too long, and they made them cut the scene shorter! Even tho no skin was shown!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2007, 02:49:25 am »
Why is it that every movie seems to be rated R in the states?  Why are they not allowing teenagers to see intelligent films.  The MPAA 'R' rating  seems to be the equivalent of our '14A' here up north.

Thank you, oilgun! I have sons who are 11 and 12. The 12-year-old's movie comprehension is starting (in some cases) to surpass mine. What do you do with kids who love movies, have nearly adult-level intellects, think penguins are stupid (yes, I know, they're wrong about this, but still) but exhibit all the immature tastes of their developmental level?

What I've done is to decide is that the following are OK: Violence, as long as it isn't really gruesome or gratuitous. Sex, as long as it isn't graphic or full-frontal or obvious (and then I have to make them pay for their viewing by glaring meaningfully at them as they watch it, which they hate so much they're tempted to skip it altogether). Swearing -- fuck, they know I don't give a shit what they see in a movie, as long as I don't have to hear the words coming from their mouths.

So for example, last week I let them watch "The Departed." So far, they don't show any signs of being scarred for life, but it's still early ...

Anyone tempted to call the child-abuse hotline is invited to try to deal with my sons themselves for a week.

moremojo

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2007, 10:11:44 am »
I will try to figure out when I watch it what set those MPAA ignerant SOBs off.
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the story revolves around a child's budding conception of identity, not necessarily a sexual identity per se, but certainly gender-related. The community insists on seeing the child's difference in a sexual way (specifically, homosexual way), though the child himself is innocent and largely presexual. It is the sexual component (again, specifically homosexual component) to the theme that makes the film potentially so controversial in the context of American exhibition; anything dealing with children's sexuality is bound to be provocative and controversial in this anxiety-ridden, post-Freudian era.