Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81727 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 10:04:12 am »
About Anthony Lane, lat, he has a real heart. Since I read the New Yorker religiously, of course I read and have kept his review of BBM. I love the way he chooses a wide range of movies to review, not just ones for the up-tight New Yorker readers.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 01:27:27 am »
Lat, if you saw Midnight Cowboy on TV as a child, I don't think u've really SEEN the movie, u know what I mean? I think there is a special re-release due to the 35th anniversary of the movie, so u might check it out at the Blockbuster. With scenes added back in, it will become clearer that the two leads are gay. In light of BBM, we should go back and reexamine certain buddy pictures, maybe not Butch & Sundance but Midnight Cowboy, certainly. For example, in one scene, Joe Buck has been hired by the character played by Brenda Vaccaro. But he can't get it up, so they play Scrabble, and Brenda spells out "gay." Outraged, Joe rises to the occasion and they get it on on the Scrabble board.

LOL, F-R, of course you're right! If any hints about their sexual orientation managed to slip past the TV censors -- obviously much stricter back in them days -- I'm sure I would have been oblivious.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 08:36:03 pm »
I'm afraid it's necessary to start a "don't bother" thread. I saw Match Point last night. Sob, it ain't no Annie Hall. The critics said this was Woody Allen's comeback film, but it's not. Avoid like the plague! Also, Scarlett Johannsen was much better in Girl with a Pearl Earring.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 01:20:17 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
BBM playing in Denver
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 05:14:24 pm »
Still going strong at the Starz Film Center in downtown Denver!

http://www.denverfilm.org/eventwindow.cfm?event_id=28

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News--Wim Wenders
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 12:19:13 pm »
Found this great article on Wim Wenders:

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/03/wenders.html

I'm planning to to see his latest, Don't Come Knocking, this p.m. at the Starz Film Center in downtown Denver. Screenwriter is Sam Shepard.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 11:27:02 am by Front-Ranger »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 12:46:49 pm »
I liked MatchPoint, it was OK.  I don't normally like Woody Allen, so his 'comeback' didn't matter to me one way or another.  Between Jonathan and Scarlett, I'm surprised there wasn't a pneumatic blowout of lips.

Kat, I'm with you.  I've been highly attractive to homoerotic movies/stories/comics since I was a child.  Don't know why.  Perhaps like Madonna, I'm a "gay man in a woman's body" or was a gay man in another life.  Dunno.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Don't Come Knocking
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 11:33:34 am »
This movie was engrossing and had some plusses and minuses. The plusses: it is a Western, Sam Shepard is good as the lead and Paul Gannon as his son, the screenwriting, by Shepard, is terse and compelling. The minuses: Strange music, colors, and cinematography intrude on the story sometimes, Jessica Lange's acting is uneven, with smiles and grimaces when she should be sad or impassive, and too many comedic touches. It's interesting to see how foreigners interpret the Western and this movie adds to the dialogue.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 09:59:34 pm »
I just saw "Friends With Money" today. It was well worth watching. Kind of a women's, West Coast version of the Woody Allen of about 10 years ago. Catherine Keener was particularly good -- I always like her. But all four actresses were good. And I didn't think wistfully about Brokeback more than five or six times during the whole thing.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 10:02:51 pm »
I will check out Friends with Money next weekend. Thanks for the recommendation! Last night I watched Baz Luhrman's La Boheme with the Australian Opera. It was so good, I watched it without the subtitles to get the most of the performances! He is the director who recently did Moulin Rouge.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Kurosawa's last film
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 09:18:13 am »
Saw an excellent movie last night, Umi wa miteita (The Sea is Watching) by Akira Kurosawa. It was the filmakers last work in a long line of excellent movies. Beautiful cinematography and acting. Also particularly appropriate for this time of year, heading into hurricane/tsunami season. It was everything Memoirs of a Geisha should have been but wasn't.