Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81741 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Movie News
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2007, 09:39:01 am »

Did anyone know about The Golden Compass controversy?  Catholics are up in arms because they say the story's goal is to indoctrinate kids into atheism.  Isn't this ridiculously ironic?  Christians concerned about child indoctrination?  A catholic school board in my area has actually pulled the books from the school libraries.

School board pulls ‘anti-God’ book
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/278845

Excerpt:
Halton's Catholic board has pulled The Golden Compass fantasy book – soon to be a Hollywood blockbuster starring Nicole Kidman – off school library shelves because of a complaint.

Two other books in the trilogy by British author Philip Pullman have also been removed as a precaution, and principals have been ordered not to distribute December Scholastic book flyers because The Golden Compass is available to order.

"(The complaint) came out of interviews that Philip Pullman had done, where he stated that he is an atheist and that he supports that," said Scott Millard, the board's manager of library services.

"Since we are an educational institution, we want to be able to evaluate the material; we want to make sure we have the best material for students."

Following a recent Star story about the series, an internal memo was sent to elementary principals that said "the book is apparently written by an atheist where the characters and text are anti-God, anti-Catholic and anti-religion."

Well, guess what movie has suddenly become my most anticipitated, lol!  I don't even like fantasy films but I'll be seeing this one on opening weekend!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2007, 01:28:13 pm »

Did anyone know about The Golden Compass controversy?  Catholics are up in arms because they say the story's goal is to indoctrinate kids into atheism.  Isn't this ridiculously ironic?  Christians concerned about child indoctrination?  A catholic school board in my area has actually pulled the books from the school libraries.

Actually, now that you mention it, oilgun, it doesn't surprise me at all.  These books really do go after organized religion, specifically Christianity.  Many of the basic ideas Pullman used come from Milton's Paradise Lost.  Here are Wikipedia links to His Dark Materials and Paradise Lost.  The articles help explain some of the reasons for the controversy.

It is ironic that Christians are decrying the indoctrination of children.  I guess that can apply to everyone who wants their children to be brought up in only the belief system they feel is right.  Trouble is, this is one heckuva big, complex world, full of innumerable belief systems.  Also, we have access to more information at our fingertips than ever before.  Parents have their work cut out for them, trying to keep their kids unexposed to other beliefs.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2007, 01:46:26 pm »
I had gotten the news about this movie in an e-mail and I never take those at face value. I check "Snopes" to see whether they deem it true or not. Snopes may not always be right either, but they said this was true. In an interview the author said his books were about "killing God". I think children can be exposed to all kinds of belief systems without being shown a fantasy about killing God and angels -- not sure the movie shows this. I think those things happen in the follow up books.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2007, 04:21:47 pm »
Actually, now that you mention it, oilgun, it doesn't surprise me at all.  These books really do go after organized religion, specifically Christianity.  Many of the basic ideas Pullman used come from Milton's Paradise Lost.  Here are Wikipedia links to His Dark Materials and Paradise Lost.  The articles help explain some of the reasons for the controversy.

Thanks for the Wikipedia link, meryl,  it's very informative.  It sounds like the zealots are overreacting yet again.  Also, I just realized that pullman wrote I Was a Rat, I love that book!  I read it to my nephew a few years ago, it's a great story!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2007, 04:06:24 pm »

Lee, you're right about His Dark Materials.  It looks like it could be really good.  The website for that film is stunningly beautiful: http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?.  The cast is gorgeous, too:  Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman and Eva Green, as well as Sam Elliott.

I've read the trilogy of books the movie is based on, and they're highly imaginative and dramatic.  I don't know how they're going to condense the story into one movie.  Maybe there's more than one?  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.

Now that the movie The Golden Compass is out, I thought it would be good to post the web site link again. We should all go there and get our daemons. Me, I have a monkey gibbon on my back, name of Aguippa.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2007, 04:24:26 pm »
Thanks for the reminder, Lee.  I applied for my daemon back in April, and he turned out to be a civet (wildcat) named Rasthmus.  Just now I tried it again and was given a gorgeous tiger named Archeleron.  Looks like they know I am a cat person!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2009, 09:08:46 pm »
I heard that "The Fountain" is supposed to be an adaptation of the story "The Time Traveler's Wife." That makes me want to see it even though it didn't get good reviews. Also, Hugh Jackman as the lead character Henry? I'm sure he could handle the acting but he seems too healthy and wholesome for that role. But it would be great to see him in the role because of the frequent nudity!!

This is about to come out, starring Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams. And, guess what? The role of Claire in childhood is played by Brooklyn Proulx!!

brokebackjack tells me Brooklyn is a granddaughter of AP!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2009, 09:33:02 pm »
This is about to come out, starring Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams. And, guess what? The role of Claire in childhood is played by Brooklyn Proulx!!

brokebackjack tells me Brooklyn is a granddaughter of AP!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/

You mean this Brooklyn Proulx?  Jenny, age 4, left.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:37 pm »
Yes, the very same! Altho she now spells her name Brooklynn.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:43 pm »
Yes, the very same! Altho she now spells her name Brooklynn.

Before you know it, she'll be hyphenating it--Brook-Lynn!