Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81703 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 07:54:41 pm »
Saw Les Miserables yesterday (the play, sorry this is a bit OT) and afraid I have to add it to my "don't bother" list. It was the Broadway touring company. The biggest problem was that there seemed to be no charisma between the leads and, after BBM, my charisma requirements have gone way up! Another opera I saw recently that was more satifying was Baz Luhrman's La Boheme, filmed at the Sydney Opera House. This dates from 1993 but is very fresh and moving.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 05:35:48 pm »
Here's an interview with one of my favorite directors, Robert Altman, who got his start in Kansas City where I lived for a time after graduating with a degree in radio, television, and film. I used to walk past Centron Films in KC where he worked, trying to get up the courage to go in.
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/060522ta_talk_singer

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Prairie Home Companion
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 12:20:43 am »
This movie debuts June 9!! It's the first movie I've truly wanted to see since BBM. Looking forward to discussing it with everyone.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 11:21:48 am »
Next Saturday night I'm going to see Godard's Breathless at the Starz Film Center in downtown Denver. I was too young to see it when it first came out. Saw the remake with Richard Gere and liked it, so I'm prepared to love Godard's original version. Godard, along with Truffault, was a leader of the bad  boys of French Cinema who started a movement borrowing extensively from documentaries. I want to see all the classics of that era again because they were the ones Ang Lee studied as a film student of the University of Illinois. I studied film at about the same time at the University of Kansas. Wish I had a friend to attend the film with me (Front-Ranger Jr. is still in Ireland) but maybe I'll meet one there.

moremojo

Godardiana
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 06:44:49 pm »
Next Saturday night I'm going to see Godard's Breathless at the Starz Film Center in downtown Denver. I was too young to see it when it first came out. Saw the remake with Richard Gere and liked it, so I'm prepared to love Godard's original version. Godard, along with Truffault, was a leader of the bad  boys of French Cinema who started a movement borrowing extensively from documentaries.
Now, Front, you know you might be dating yourself by suggesting your age range at the time of the release of the first Breathless--anyone can look up its date on the IMDb, you know!

Godard's film is certainly important and impressive in many ways. It's a key work of the French Nouvelle Vague and of world cinema generally. It's not my personal favorite from the films I have seen by that director--I prefer Contempt and Pierrot le fou.

Did you know that Godard made a followup film, in the very loosest sense of the term, in 1975? It's called Numero deux, which he shot on video and transferred to film stock. He was hired or commissioned to do a sequel or remake to Breathless, and in his idiosyncratic manner, ended up making something that had very little to do with the original film other than alluding to it in the title. I haven't seen this one myself, incidentally.

I have read that Godard was much influenced by a Soviet Russian director named Boris Barnet. His early short Charlotte et son jules is supposedly a direct hommage to Barnet, and Godard's early work is said to be not properly understood without knowledge of Barnet's style and sensibility. Unfortunately, his films are rarely exhibited outside of major cinephile capitals like Paris, though the director's 1933 feature Okraina was recently released on DVD.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2006, 07:17:59 pm »
Wow, thanks, Scott! I really enjoyed the show last night and think I really need to see some of those other Godard movies. I especially liked Jean Seberg. She and Jean-Paul Belmondo had a BBM-type relationship, don't you think? I saw many parallels!

I liked the part where Jean Seberg's character Patricia Francini goes to interview a film director played by Godard himself. One of the things he says (or proclaims) is "Love is a form of eroticism, and eroticism is a form of love." Yes!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 06:12:10 pm »
I recommend the new release of "The Outsiders" with a second disc of features and interviews. The actors C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Leif Garrett, and Patrick Swayze all participated (no Tom Cruise or Emilio Estevez tho). It's a very moving story about the greasers and the soshes at Will Rogers High School in Tulsa, written by S.E. Hinton when she was a high school junior (She reminds me of Annie Proulx). And directed by Francis Coppola.

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 06:19:50 pm »
I recommend the new release of "The Outsiders" with a second disc of features and interviews. The actors C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Leif Garrett, and Patrick Swayze all participated (no Tom Cruise or Emilio Estevez tho). It's a very moving story about the greasers and the soshes at Will Rogers High School in Tulsa, written by S.E. Hinton when she was a high school junior (She reminds me of Annie Proulx). And directed by Francis Coppola.

Ohhh, I haven't heard about the new release, I love that movie!!!! I used to watch it all the time as a kid, I'll have to check out that new DVD!! The actors are so good, I love them all.  :D
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Marquee Juxtaposition
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 02:45:04 pm »
Here's a shot of me at the Breathless screening.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 06:19:30 pm »
Several scenes that were cut from the original release of The Outsiders were replaced in this new version. Almost all of Rob Lowe's scenes were cut and he said in the bonus features that it was devastating since he was just starting his career. Among the reinserted scenes were several that showed how close the brothers were, Daryl, Sodapop, and Ponyboy. A scene that sticks in my mind is when Rob Lowe, as Sodapop, and C. THomas Howell, as the youngest brother Ponyboy, are in bed and talking before falling asleep. Ponyboy is worried and Sodapop turns and puts his arm around his brother and they lie in the moonlight talking. It was so sweet and intimate. The director, Francis Ford Coppola, explained in the bonus features that much of Lowe's work had to be removed because he was making the movie for a young audience and the homophobic feelings of the times dictated it. It sure was good to see the movie intact again.