Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 82513 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Movie News
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2009, 12:39:35 pm »
Right.  They were enforcing the law.  How convenient, thirty years or whatever, later.   ::)

Actually, no, they've been after Polanski ever since he fled the charges against him.

He has already admitted his guilt.  He was fleeing having to serve any time.  He also broke bail.  Guess the statue of limitations doesn't apply to his flight and refusal to serve time.

So are you saying just because it's 30 years later breaking the law doesn't matter anymore?

That if you commit a crime and can manage to outrun justice for 30 years, then it's OK and you can get away with it?

Is that what you're saying?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:28:16 pm by delalluvia »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2009, 11:31:40 pm »
Actually, no, they've been after Polanski ever since he fled the charges against him.

He has already admitted his guilt.  He was fleeing having to serve any time.  He also broke bail.  Guess the statue of limitations doesn't apply to his flight and refusal to serve time.

So are you saying just because it's 30 years later breaking the law doesn't matter anymore?

That if you commit a crime and can manage to outrun justice for 30 years, then it's OK and you can get away with it?

Is that what you're saying?

It's not that black & white.  Check out the doc WANTED AND DESIRED, it helped me understand why he originally skedaddled out of the US.
I'm just finding it very suspicious that they have arrested him now.  The guy apparently owns a home in Switzerland, so it's not like he hasn't been there in the last 30 years.  And yes, considering that his victim  sued him for an undisclosed sum of money, later forgave him & tried to get the charges dropped and has moved on with her life and is by all accounts a happy mother of three, I think they should let it go and instead focus on people who are really hurting others.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2009, 08:33:31 am »
Hey everybody, I started a thread about Roman Polanski in the Current Events forum:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,37854.msg541913.html#new

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2009, 11:38:27 am »
It's not that black & white.  Check out the doc WANTED AND DESIRED, it helped me understand why he originally skedaddled out of the US.
I'm just finding it very suspicious that they have arrested him now.  The guy apparently owns a home in Switzerland, so it's not like he hasn't been there in the last 30 years.  And yes, considering that his victim  sued him for an undisclosed sum of money, later forgave him & tried to get the charges dropped and has moved on with her life and is by all accounts a happy mother of three, I think they should let it go and instead focus on people who are really hurting others.

Actually it is that cut and dried.  Checkout crayons new thread.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2009, 11:21:58 am »
Before going to see the preview of Brothers, I signed up for this movie watching service called gofobo.com. It buys the tickets, reminds me on the day of the movie, gives me directions, and asks me for a review after the movie. I really like it so far...now I hope there's no, or little, spam.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:51 am »
Ennibody up for a great movie about Romantic poets? How about a movie about the most Romantic of them all, John Keats? Bright Star directed by Jane Campion opens this Friday. See it and discuss it here!!
A lovely summation by David Denby:

"...the author of the odes and sonnets, though miserable, obscure, and disappointed, lived, at times, in scenes of the most intense beauty."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2010, 07:00:30 pm »
Tom Hardy is trending on Twitter! OMG, OMG, OMG!  ;)

Tom Hardy is set for a lead role in Nolan's next Batman film!

Exclusive: While Tom Hardy's plan to play Mad Max in the George Miller-directed Mad Max: Fury Road has hit another delay, the fast-rising Hardy's in the mix for another big film at Warner Bros. I'm told that Hardy has been set by his Inception director Chris Nolan for a lead role in the next Batman film at Warner Bros. Insiders are keeping the role secret and won't even say if he's up for a villain role, but that seems a reasonable assumption. Hardy has followed up Inception with lead roles in the Tomas Alfredson-directed  adaptation of the John Le Carre novel Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and he's currently starring with Chris Pine and Reese Witherspoon in the McG-directed Fox comedy This Means War. CAA reps Hardy, who's expected to return to Fury Road when it goes. ยป
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni4895454/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2010, 07:16:39 pm »
Exciting!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2010, 09:29:08 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:55 pm »
Grizzly Man is worth seeing just for the fantastic scenery of Alaska and the incredible scenes of grizzlies feasting on fish and the way they lumber along like they are falling apart (Annie got it right as she always does!!) But my favorite scenes were those of the foxes. They are so beautiful and friendly--as tame as cats!!

I watched this last night on BluRay. It was haunting, sad and joyful all in one. One of Herzog's best films, and winner of many prizes including Best Documentary from the Academy of Motion Pictures.