Author Topic: The Lookout  (Read 2603 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
The Lookout
« on: April 01, 2007, 05:43:56 pm »
I saw The Lookout a few days ago, and I'm interested in what anyone else who's seen it thought of it.
I was really impressed. Wasn't expecting more than a run-of-the-mill heist film, and was surprised by its character development and wonderful acting. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a revelation.
Deals, among other things, with issues of regret. Maybe that's why it's stayed with me more than any movie except BBM.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Lookout
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:12:51 pm »
I saw it yesterday and *loved* it.  Very well-done.  And yes, Gordon-Levitt is wonderful.  I really believed his frustration in not being able "to get the sequencing right."  It wasn't a showy, check-out-this-speech-pattern-I-came-up-with, hey-I'm-disabled-award-me-now kind of performance.  It was very subtle.  I've actually known people who've had serious head injuries in car crashes and were in comas - one for six weeks before she came out of it.  They all had to learn to walk and talk and write all over again.  And they all were never the same.  I appreciated that this movie didn't show us Chris Pratt's recovery, but only hinted at how painstaking and difficult it must have been by the glimpse of the wheelchair folded up in his room that his Mom kept "just the way it was when he was a boy" and the scars only flashed to us on his forehead, back, and neck.  All very real, very believable.  And Jeff Daniels was wonderful, *wonderful*.  I hate showy "Blind Guy" performances most of all.  But I actually believed he was Lewis and that he was blind.  He's really the first actor I've ever seen play blind that I actually believed, come to think of it.

What I liked the most about it was, as you said, the character development.  Each character, even the baddie Gary and the dimbulb Luvlee, was multi-layered.  And neither of those two was without his or her own disability - as Gary said as he took a hit off the inhaler, "We all got our problems."  (To me, his was asthma, and hers was very low intelligence.)  Not a single character was flawless.  And not a one was utterly without any redeeming features, either.  (Well, except "Bones," but at least he never spoke.  Actually, I think he was the only flaw in the whole story.)

I also loved the relationship between Lewis and Chris.  It was much more subtlely done than it usually is, but Lewis was clearly the father Chris didn't have - someone who believed in him and taught him by example.  Didn't you love the way Lewis talked to the lady named Kathy who called 1-800-Flowers?  He talked to everyone that way - like they were the most special human being ever conceived.  Well, not to Luvlee, because he was onto her.

Shoot, the more I think about it, the more I think I might go watch it again next weekend.  That's a first in, oh, about a year.

Saw another good one today - "The Last Mimzy."  Actually quite a bit better than I expected.  Very nice parable, and any movie that takes a liberal shot at The Patriot Act is a friend of mine.  Timothy Hutton's aging quite nicely, besides.  I think he's more attractive now than he used to be.

No more beans!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:42:20 pm »
And Jeff Daniels was wonderful, *wonderful*.  I hate showy "Blind Guy" performances most of all.  But I actually believed he was Lewis and that he was blind.  He's really the first actor I've ever seen play blind that I actually believed, come to think of it.

I just got back from The Lookout and I have to say:  Run, don't walk , to see this movie!  What an excellent film! Intelligent and tight, I loved it!  You're right about Jeff Daniel's performance, his was the most convincing blind guy I've ever seen and as for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, well,  he's arrived.   I mean he was great in Manic, Mysterious Skin and Brick but I think this role will establish him as a major talent to mainstream audiences.

Let's hope these two guys are remembered when the awards-show-who's-name-cannot-be-mentioned comes around next year :-)

EDIT:  Well it seems that the "mainstream" audiences have not embraced this excellent film if you look at the poor opening weekend numbers.  Granted it seems to have opened in only selected theatres.  And the wrong ones too.  Instead of opening in more serious urban cinemas they stupidly marketed it as a heist film and opened it in mostly suburban multiplexes. 

I'm old enough to remember the days when good intelligent movies actually had a mainstream audience.  It just kills me to see crap like Wild Hogs and Blades of Fury, or whatever Will Ferrell's latest assault is called, open at number one while good critically acclaimed movies barely make their money back.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:45:50 pm by oilgun »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:36:14 pm »
I'm going tonight!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:48:22 am »
So I went and saw The Lookout, and was very glad to have done so.

At the end, husb and I were sitting there watching the credits, and all of a sudden I recognized the craziest name, Ken Zilka, Stunts.  I whirled to my husband, "He was one of the stunt guys in BBM.  I remember him because he was one of the first Zs played in the ABCs game."

I just checked, and he's not listed on the IMDb page for the Lookout, nor is The Lookout listed on his IMDb page.  But he was in the scrolling credits!  :)

Tell me if you notice his name, when you see the movie!

:)