Author Topic: The Best Years Of Our Lives, what a movie!?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
The Best Years Of Our Lives, what a movie!?
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:57:41 pm »
On TV PBS Detroit last night (Holy Friday 2007), I saw the last 15 minutes of the 1946 great (as if it is to-day in 2007) black and white movie:  The Best Years Of My Life!!

You can find those last 9 minutes on YouTube and other clips too.

I say that that film is Brokeback Mountain in many ways, as it is like to-day, yes 2007!!

What are your comments on this film classic?

Hugs!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:17:34 am by MaineWriter »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Best Years Of My Life, what a movie!?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:14:43 pm »
I'll have to check this out! Who stars in it?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:24:16 pm »
Here's the IMDB link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036868/

It looks to be a classic, but I don't recognize any of the actors off the top of my head.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:41:10 pm »
I have seen it many times.

It is a great movie.  It won Best Picture and many other awards.

It was about three soldiers who came home after World War II, and how they went on with their lives.

I do recommend everyone to see it.  It is more than excellent and I think that the theme of veterans lives is very applicable to today and Iraq.

But I don't really see the connections to BBM, just that it is a very strong and powerful movie.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: “The Best Years of Our Lives”
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:04:42 pm »

Regarding parallels to “Brokeback Mountain”: Not in content, certainly, but in the way the films were done. Both observe their characters in an ordinary way—no one is purely a hero or evil; they all have flaws and good points.

I do agree with that.  Maybe another parallel is that this film deals with these men's struggles between who they really are at this point of their lives and who the people around them and society also, expects them to be.

It is an excellent film.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 10:07:38 am »
Thanks and Happy Easter to all!

Indeed this film is like BBM, as adiabatic says:
“Harold Russell [who plays sailor Homer Parrish] was a real veteran who had lost both hands in a training accident during the war.  Although an acting novice, Russell won two Oscars for his performance in BEST YEARS, an honorary award and a statuette as the year's Best Supporting Actor, making him the only performer in the history of the Academy Awards to win two statuettes for the same performance.”
This film is both Jack and Ennis. Ennis did have in a way a lost of his hands as he could not put his hands on Jack to love him!! Only on the shirts Jack had in his closet!! Only on their shirts Ennis had in his closet, after that!! These shirts, those are like two of Ennis's hands?? !! And like two of Jack's Hands?? !!

Harold Russell  acts like an Ennis; having lost his hands, his charactor can barely speak... now to his friend (who is like Jack in many ways) and to his girlfriend who wants still to marry him!! With great love and as  helping as like a menage-a-3 (which becomes a menage-a-4 in a way too), the story ends happily!!

I think that this is BBM and a remake or a serie of BBM could be that?? !!

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:10:37 am »
Thanks cameron!

You say this:
Maybe another parallel is that this film deals with these men's struggles between who they really are at this point of their lives and who the people around them and society also, expects them to be.
 Cameron: this is really great what you say!!

Amd that can be detailed! Like an BBM moment, story!!

Hugs!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Best Years Of Our Lives, what a movie!?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:23:29 am »
I remember the first time I saw this movie, on Thanksgiving evening, probably 25 years ago, now.

It was very very powerful and moving. I have seen it many times since.

I think a parallel that it is has with Brokeback is that it is a movie that has stood the test of time.

L
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:54:42 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 11:36:40 am »
  The movie, was and is a classic in every sense of the word..I remember seeing it at various times all of my life...There even was a television series based on this movie..A friend of mine played a part in it.  It has been so long ago i would have to watch it again, to see which part.  But as to the movie, it had a well known cast of stars for the time.  They were all well known except for the man with the war injury to his hands...I also remember that movie, kind of made as the watermark for excellence for many years after it came out....But the bbm reference, im sorry i just dont get that one...Maybe in the going against convention part, but there have been quite a few of those in the time since....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:40:33 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 12:18:28 pm »
Thanks, thanks MainWriter, and ifyoucantfixit!!

May I say that we all carry a cross... it seems so to say that was/is Holy Friday!!

Jack carried his cross... as he could not suceed getting to live with Ennis!
Ennis carries his cross too in many ways then and to-day!! Fear is fear, and Hurt is hurt in both!!
Their lives alone and combined are powerful and moving, similar to what you say MaineWriter.
They had at least, some The best years of their lives too, somehow, thanks goodness!!

Concerning the movie The Best Years of Our Lives (you can see on You Tube), War is hurt, and violent it was as that soldier did not have his two hands anymore... may I say ifyoucantfixit. And now he feared (like Ennis) that society would reject him, especially could not marry his girlfriend now, and with no buts the love of his male friend and his girlfriend makes it possible and an enjoyable mariage!! Society can help too to increase helping and to love!!

Just helped mother as I did finished washing the dishes. She is baking apples pies... come eat some hot!!

Happy Easter ifyoucantfixit and Maine-Writer!! And all!!