Author Topic: Mar and Twist  (Read 8084 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Mar and Twist
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:48:21 pm »
Hey Buds,

I remember once long ago (somewhere) there was a really interesting discussion of all the different dictionary definitions of the word Twist.  I thought it might be fun to re-examine this line of analysis and look at what the different meanings are for both Mar and Twist and how the associations with those words might function in the film/ story.  Some of these definitions come to seem a little bit poetic sometimes when thinking about the context of BBM. For the record, I'm using my typical dictionary on hand (it would be interesting to see if other dictionaries include more definitions, etc.), which is Webster's 9th Collegiate Dictornary.  And, I'm preserving the dictionary's capitalization, etc. and the examples of usage are also directly from the dictionary's definitions.

Mar (this is in addition to the metaphor of "island in the sea" that seems to fit with Ennis's whole name):

1 mar- vt, marred; marring [marren, fr.: to obstruct, waste...]- 1: to detract from the perfection or wholeness of: SPOIL 2: archaic, a: to inflict serious bodily harm on. b: DESTROY.  syn see INJURE

2 mar- n (14c): something that mars: BLEMISH

Twist (there are tons more definitions for this word than for Mar, which has only the brief entry noted above)

1 twist- vb, 1 a: to unite by winding [--ing strands together] b: to make by twisting strands together [--ing thread from yarn] c: to mingle by interlacing

2: TWINE, COIL

3 a: to wring or wrench so ast to dislocate or distort: SPRAIN  b: to alter the meaning of: DISTORT, PERVERT [--ed the facts]  c: CONTORT [--ed his face into a grin] d: to pull off, turn or break by torsion  e: to cause to move with a turning mostion  f: to form into a spiral shape  g: to cause to take on moral, mental, or emotional deformity  h: to make (one's way) in a winding or devious manner to a destination or objective

~ vi   1: to follow a winding course: SNAKE

2 a: to turn or change shape under torsion  b: to assume a spiral shape  c: SQUIRM, WRITHE d: to dance the twist

3: to rotate while taking a curving path or direction [ball]

4: TURN:  to bring strong pressure to bear on one

2 twist- n-  1: something formed by winding: as a: a thread, yarn, or cord formed by twisting two or more strands together  b: a strong tightly twisted string  c: a baked piece of twisted dough

2: the fleshing between the hind legs esp. of cattle or sheep

3 a: an act of twisting: state of being twisted b: a dance performed with strenuous gyrations esp. of the hips  c: the spin given a ball in any of various games d: spiral turn or curve

4 a: a turning off a straight course  b: ECCENTRICITY, IDIOSYNCRASY  c: a distortion of meaning or sense

5 a: an unexpected turn or development  b: a clever device: TRICK  c: a variant approach or method: GIMMICK

It's interesting that the bull-riding association didn't make it into this particular dictionary's definition. And, I wonder if Proulx went through exercises like this (thinking about definitions of words... beyond what she's said about the association of "twist" with bull riding) in naming her characters.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Mar and Twist
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 09:56:11 am »
Great idea for a re-look subject! thanks much for the thoughts!

for me, I always felt "mar" epitomized Ennis' ocean/sea-like complexity and personality--unpredicatble yet able to be forecast, deep, mysterious, calmly beautiful, stormy at times, conquerable but never conquered, sought after but not always compatible.

there is a section of my town named "del mar" with a nice sign with the name; and I pass it at least twice a day and nod a salute/reverence to Ennis.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 04:22:55 pm »
Good points, Amanda! I'd thought of Ennis' last name in the whole island-in-the-sea context, too, but this is another interesting way to look at it. The men -- or their lives -- were marred and twisted by their culture of hate.

Rich and Earl, on the other hand, have names suggesting wealth and royalty. Earl came to a terrible end, of course, but while they were together they enjoyed life's bounty.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:39:45 pm »
Wow, wow, atz75!!

You certainly explain Ennis and Jack....
as ineedcrayons say of them:
The men -- or their lives -- were marred and twisted by their culture of hate.

Those two words (mar and twist) are revealing!! As the two main roles are too in the movie!!
Annie did think rightly using these two names!!

What do you find for: Del?

Hugs!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:41:25 pm »
LOL,  you all give me too much credit.  All I did really is copy the definitions from the dictionary.

Katherine, I've never stopped to consider the idea that Earl and Rich had names with concrete meanings too.  Very interesting observation.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 12:45:18 am »
Katherine, I've never stopped to consider the idea that Earl and Rich had names with concrete meanings too.  Very interesting observation.

I can't claim credit for it, unfortunately. I can't remember where I heard it. But now that we're on a roll, I bet a lot of names have suggestive meanings.

Lureen lured Jack.

L.D. Newsome had "new money" -- a new sum of money.

Uncle Harold subtly heralded future tragedy.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:33:44 am »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:50:28 pm »

Well, there is no plain "del" in my dictionary but here's the definition as printed for "dell"

dell- n: ravine, valley:  a secluded hollow or small valley usu. covered with trees or turf.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:26:09 am »
dell- n: ravine, valley:  a secluded hollow or small valley usu. covered with trees or turf.

Well, that's not altogether unfitting either, hunh? Ennis is secluded and covered, for sure.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 10:08:01 am »
Thanks atz75!

And for Del, Ennis is also like a valley, if I may say like a flat land... as he is steady doing the SAME ways (as in always finding jobs being not lazy, as in wanting to marry his lady, and to keep on befriending Jack but also steadily fearing that)!! Like a flat land or a valley, Ennis is even flat voiced using the SAME tone of voice.

In many ways, Ennis is del Mar, yes a mar.. destroying, as in fighting others, fighting himself, fighting love till he loves more Jack, etc., all as he detracts for perfection,  as in the perfect love between him and Jack they could have; Ennis does waste time too... as he could have lived with Jack after his divorce, yes??

In some ways more and more, Ennis is also Twist, which changes that DEL bit by bit... luckily!! Ennis becomes a rock, a mountain!! ??

Are my thoughts coherent??

Which are yours, and from all,

hugs!!