Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 3022 times)

mvansand76

Global Warming
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:27:06 am »
This is a very important issue right now. We are being bombarded with articles and news reels about Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" and IPCC's extremely definite conclusion that the earth is warming up because of man-made CO2 (cars, factories, people themselves, waste, etc.)

But have you ever heard the other side of the story? There are numerous scientist from all over the world who dispute the IPCC's conclusions. News coverage about this is scarce, however.

Thankfully, there is now a very interesting documentary that was broadcast on channel 4 that allows you to understand their side of the story.
They show evidence that CO2 is not the cause but rather a consequence of global warming. They continue to explain the effect of solar power on the warming of the earth.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9005566792811497638&q=global%2Bwarming%2Bswindle

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 03:03:47 am »
I'm sorry folks. I really am, but I think we are the reason for global warming.  :(

I have seen and read WAY too much convincing evidence pointing to humans as the culprits. And we better start trying to do something about it too, or we're all going to be in really BIG trouble.

There are many small things we can all do right now to help combat global warming:

- Switching your light bulbs to halogen bulbs (they are more exensive initially, but they last much longer and they will save on your electric bill)

- Drive a smaller car if possible. I know this ISN'T always possible though. Some people have large families, or their job requires them to own a large car or truck.

- Drive less. Carpool if you can,  or combine some of your errands into one trip.

- Recycle your old newspapers and plastics.

- Don't leave lights burning if you aren't in the room.

- Turn down your heat a couple of degrees lower during the day, and 5 or 10 degrees lower at night while you are sleeping.

- Avoid aresol spray cans (hair spray, furniture polish, etc). Purchase non aresol sprays instead.

Even if you just do one or two of these things, it would help. If everyone does a little, it will go a long way towards helping heal our planet for future generations.  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:21:11 am »
I'm sorry folks. I really am, but I think we are the reason for global warming.  :(

I have seen and read WAY too much convincing evidence pointing to humans as the culprits. And we better start trying to do something about it too, or we're all going to be in really BIG trouble.

There are many small things we can all do right now to help combat global warming:

- Switching your light bulbs to halogen bulbs (they are more exensive initially, but they last much longer and they will save on your electric bill)

- Drive a smaller car if possible. I know this ISN'T always possible though. Some people have large families, or their job requires them to own a large car or truck.

- Drive less. Carpool if you can,  or combine some of your errands into one trip.

- Recycle your old newspapers and plastics.

- Don't leave lights burning if you aren't in the room.

- Turn down your heat a couple of degrees lower during the day, and 5 or 10 degrees lower at night while you are sleeping.

- Avoid aresol spray cans (hair spray, furniture polish, etc). Purchase non aresol sprays instead.

Even if you just do one or two of these things, it would help. If everyone does a little, it will go a long way towards helping heal our planet for future generations.  :D

I don't believe we are the main cause, but that doesn't mean that I believe we should continue wasting energy. Even if it's only for cleaner air and better living conditions for everybody on earth. I decided not to drive a car because of this issue. Everybody should do something, I agree.

All the tips that David posted are excellent.

Please do watch that documentary....

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:03:55 pm »
Many of the highest level tenured professors of earth sciences and doctors in the corporate domain do take issue with some of the conclusions in the Gore film. The most powerful force in the planet is the media; and for the current period the media is in huge support of Gore's campaign. Once the hype has died down, more discussion will emerge, no question.

this is similar to the earlier hype on ethanol as a substitute for gasoline. Sounded great at first, but in reality it falls short.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:43:51 pm »
I believe what is been said is not that the global warming is a man-made phenomenon but that certain human practices are making the global warming process go faster. I believe we are responsible for most of our environmental problems, and its time we should take responsibility for them. This is wether Al Gore's movie is accurate or not. That's not the issue.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:47:57 pm »
Many of the highest level tenured professors of earth sciences and doctors in the corporate domain do take issue with some of the conclusions in the Gore film. The most powerful force in the planet is the media; and for the current period the media is in huge support of Gore's campaign. Once the hype has died down, more discussion will emerge, no question.

this is similar to the earlier hype on ethanol as a substitute for gasoline. Sounded great at first, but in reality it falls short.

You are right about the media but there's a whole lot of scientists that happen to agree with what Al Gore movie's portray. Most are Europeans and they could care less about American politics.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.