Author Topic: I'm so sorry to tell you, but it happened again...  (Read 6956 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
I'm so sorry to tell you, but it happened again...
« on: April 22, 2006, 08:55:32 am »
Hi folks,
as I had anticipated in another post, yesterday we had the Italian Oscar night here in Italy, that is the ceremony for the awards of the David di Donatello prizes, assigned by the Italian Cinema Academy.
BBM was one of the nominees, and I was eager to see it win the award in the Best Foreign Movie category. When actor Franco Nero - of Fassbinder's "Querelle" fame - opened the envelope and read the winner's name I was left in awe once again.
Just guess! BBM lost to CRASH once again...
I haven't seen CRASH so far - though I'm planning to buy the DVD as I've been told it's a very good movie - but was totally disappointed nevertheless as our beloved movie was defeated once again. Well. it's not too bad anyway. BBM won so many other accolades we shouldn't be complaining that much...
Good thing was that the award as Best European Community Movie went to Woody Allen's Matchpoint.
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: I'm so sorry to tell you, but it happened again...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 08:57:06 am »
This is terrible news.  :-X
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 09:03:48 am »
Shit happens, I guess.

Hey Luigi, you have to add yourself to the Frappr Map! Isabelle and I feel so lonely overthere, being the only Europeans! 

Btw: I was happy to see Berlusconi lose the Italian elections. It's only: he himself doesn't seem to have noticed that he's lost yet. Poor guy... ;)

Ciao

ANKE

Offline luigival

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 09:23:43 am »
Shit happens, I guess.

Hey Luigi, you have to add yourself to the Frappr Map! Isabelle and I feel so lonely overthere, being the only Europeans! 

Btw: I was happy to see Berlusconi lose the Italian elections. It's only: he himself doesn't seem to have noticed that he's lost yet. Poor guy... ;)

Ciao

ANKE

Hi Anke,
you're so right talking about Berlusconi. We (at least 51% of Italians) are so fed up with all what he's been saying in the past few years. I mean, nobody has anything to say about his ability - though maybe something could be said... - in business, but please. go away from the politcs scene.
I suspect he's suffering some sort of deep mental disease: he believes to be a direct emanation of God - if not God himself - and the rest is simply non-existent. And the same applies to a part of his fellow politician supporters and colleagues. He will never accept he has not won: pity that it lost only so slightly. This makes me wonder why there are still so many Italians that, somehow, believe his completely unreliable and incredible lies. Poor Italy!
Ciao,
Luigi

« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 09:44:44 am by luigival »

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 09:56:19 am »
So what has been the public reaction to BBM in Italy luigival?

It started in late January here in Australia too, and still showing in a couple of mainstream & arthouse cinemas.

Is it that surprising that Crash won?  A copy-cat of the academy awards maybe?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 10:54:47 am »
At least the Italians have good taste by awarding it the Lion d' Oro award at the Venice Film Festival.

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 11:07:51 am »
I find it surprising that another organization would make the same mistake the Academy made after all this, but oh well.  Thanks for letting us know!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 11:17:58 am »
Amy was just in Italy...she was talking about how nonchalantly everyone there was about BBM, no big deal you know? So I bet she will be surprised to hear this.

I was thinking today the slighly out there (but that's me, hey?) thought that, I wonder what Brokeback Mountain, the movie itself, feels/knows about this whole Oscar thing. I mean, we can interview Ang or Annie, but there is the actual life and intelligence in the whole of the movie itself; it is itself, and if it had a response, I think of it as being serene and accepting that it is what it is, a work of stunning depth, beauty, and truth, no bragging needed. In other words, the award it did not win does not matter. It "lets be." And same thing with this Italian mixup.

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 12:33:56 pm »
 :-X

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 12:53:50 pm »
That was interesting Jenny.
I would have expected better of the Italians. And I'm also surprised that "Crash" would resonate with them.
One of Lee's biggest influences was Antonini and you can see his influence in the pacing, lyrical cinematography, and the characterizations of the "antihero" leads.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 01:04:31 pm »
I always wondered if BBM would resonate as deeply with foreign audience. I love the language in the film, but you know that much of that will be lost in translating, whether dubbed or subtitled. Will we get "stud duck" in Italian? Will we get "son of whoresonbitch" in French? or "Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough"? I love the rhythm of "and you tell me you'd kill me for needin something I don't hardly never get". There's a lot of local colors in the language that I think non-English speakers will miss. Where as Crash is less about language, but more the story structure as a gimmick. It's an obvious movie that I think does translate very easily.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 01:44:44 pm »
On the other hand, Starbie, I think there is so much that is beautiful, dramatic, wordless in Brokeback that it would translate quite well.  Great acting is compelling, period.  This has been discussed aplenty I'm sure.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 01:50:28 pm »
that's true hpie. the most beautiful parts were unspoken. i guess i'm just trying to figure out why anyone would think that Crash was a superior film to a half dozen others films that came out last year, let alone BBM.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 02:11:49 pm »
My distasteful responsibility is to see Crash -- haven't yet.  I suppose I can bring myself to netflixate it.  Bother.  Hate to support it, but can't argue without having seen it.  Pooeypoo.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 02:26:33 pm »
My distasteful responsibility is to see Crash -- haven't yet.  I suppose I can bring myself to netflixate it.  Bother.  Hate to support it, but can't argue without having seen it.  Pooeypoo.

Don't bother.  Seriously, I know what you mean, though.  Very little that annoys me more than someone who sings Crash's praises for winning the award without having also seen Brokeback.  Guess we must walk the walk, huh?  I'm just glad I got my viewing over with almost a year ago and never have to revisit it again.   :P
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 02:40:03 pm »
Jenny, that was brilliant, as usual...How does Brokeback Mountain (I've stopped putting it in quotation marks lately, by the way) feel about its journey through the peoples of mankind (we shouldn't forget all the foreign awards it HAS won--and, by the way, how does the Venice Golden Lion compare in prestige  to the award it just lost?)

I just finished reading "Maurice," which Forster completed in 1914, and was published in 1971, the year after his death. In1960, he added a final postscript to his (unjpublished) manuscript, entitloed "On homosexuality" Two of the most strking sentences were :

"We had not realized that what the public really loathes in homosexuality is not the thing itself but having to think about it. If it could be slipped into our midst unnoticed, or legalized overnight by a decree in small print., there would be few protests." --E.M. Forster, 1960

Considering the warm welcome Brokeback Mountain has received, not to mention those of us who BATHE in it 24/7,--I should think the movie would be quietly pleased, without once denying that there is much work--for others--yet to do. Movies don't work; they provide pleasure and understanding. Stridency does not usually go over well, and Brokeback Mountain is not strident at all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 02:42:18 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 03:20:46 pm »
Jenny, you made me cry again-- thinking of Brokeback Mountain being a serene entity with feelings...and I believe you described those to perfection.  Brokeback Mountain in all its majesty, no need for boasting or mourning losses....just 'letting be'.

Julie, your description is equally as accurate and beautiful-- I, too, think it would be 'quietly pleased' and definitely not strident at all with its message.  You two have me crying all over again, and I'm grateful for your mention of 'those of us who BATHE in it 24/7' to make me smile through my tears!  I do feel that since my first viewing of BBM a few months ago I bathe in it, breathe it, eat it, and sleep with it. (I'm tempted to say 'wallow')

Julie, I've not read 'Maurice', but saw the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I feel sure I'd love the book-- have you seen the movie?  I thought it was beautiful.  I loved reading the Forster postscript-- thank you for posting that--now, I really want to read the book!

Melinda
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 03:33:59 pm »
(Wow! She SPOKE to me..!) I haven't seen the film yet. but I'm told it's better than the book. I've started on a book of his short stories now--some of which remained unpublished during his lifetime, but the forward is a little muddy on which (guess you can sort of pick them out, as you go along...)O. I l love Merchant-Ivory, and am very anxious to see the film.
Other half of the equasion:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 03:37:59 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline luigival

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 04:14:36 pm »
Thank you all gals and guys for sharing your thoughts.
So many question marks for me as to why the Italian Academy went for CRASH and not BBM, exactly copying what the Movie Academy had done with the Oscars.
The only saving grace was that at least, when it was shown at the Venice Film Festival, BBM was greeted by the public actually standing up and clapping their hands, before being assigned the Golden Lion, a testimony on how it had been perceived as a genuine masterpiece and a work of art. It's undeniable, BBM is indeed a beautiful movie in every sense (the story, the making, its visual graphics, its music), and it was perfect for a prize at an event like the Venice Film Festival. That's a more sophisticated event, where usually less "commercial" and more "artistic" movies are awarded.
Starboardlight made a good point on the fact that by having the movie dubbed in other languages, it would have lost part of its appeal, which is true: and also the quality of the voices of people actually dubbing could have made a big difference. But I don't feel this was a determinant factor in the fact that BBM was not awarded the David di Donatello. Its actual dubbing was not bad at all, though you lost a number of passages, but most of the original character was maintained.
No, dear friends, I'm afraid BBM lost this prize because... I don't know friends, I really don't know! And will continue to ask myself why it could happen again.
Luigi

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 04:31:31 pm »
I think it is just too good for most to be able to appreciate fully.  Just like Jack.
No more beans!

Offline skinheadskippy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • ...For it is She.
    • Rock Solid
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 04:25:18 am »
Meh. I'm not worried. BBM has achieved a hell of a lot in its time - one more isn't going to phase me.
You're all genuises, and you're all beautiful. You don't need anyone to tell you who you are - you are what you are. (John Lennon)

Offline luigival

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 07:46:03 am »
Agree 100%